Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:17 PM

Default Veterans programs in Georgia prisons

Hello,

I'm specifically trying to find out if Phillips has a veteran's program but if there is another that has a good program, I'd love to hear about it. My brother is at Riverbend currently and wants to move closer to his wife. Riverbend also doesn't seem to have a lot of educational or vocational programs and he's losing his mind from boredom..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,824 Times in 3,077 Posts

I don't know if they specifically have a Veteran's program or even a Veteran's club. You might be able to call the chaplain to find out.

It's so frustrating that our penal institutions are not much more than kennels - lock 'em away, feed 'em, water 'em, let 'em out to stretch their legs - heaven forbid we actually work on extinguishing behaviors society deems unacceptable and replacing them with acceptable behaviors before they get out so they have a different set of life skills to start with on release. And then our society claims that prisons cost too much, but instead of fixing the root cause of the problem, we go with private prisons to "save money" without a care in the world as to how these human beings are going to reintegrate upon release.

*ahem* Sorry. Little vent there.

I hope you can find the information you're looking for, and moreso, hope that the answer is "yes" and not "nope, nothing."
Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Thanked 1,753 Times in 700 Posts

I'm not sure if Phillips has a veteran's program but I know that they did have people from one of the colleges come in so they could take classes. I suggest that you reach out to the national Incarceration Association & ask them for info. They are a GA based advocacy group & can help get you info you need. https://joinnia.com/
Here's a link to the DOC list of who's who. https://joinnia.com/wp-content/uploa...rt-3-15-18.pdf The person who heads up the inmate services is Jay Sanders so someone in his office could help too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-09-2019), pengin8or (02-17-2019)