Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:52 AM

Default I was denied visitation approval and I'm a Federal Employee!

I applied to visit my boy-friend and was disapproved as a visitor. I am a Federal Employee with the Dept. of Homeland Security with Federal and State background clearance's and I was denied!!! My boy-friend said there messing with him. He submitted my phone numbers 5 times and hadn't even heard back from anyone for over a month. According to FDC's policy they have to process the numbers within 5 work days. He also stated that he was eligible for halfway house on Jan. 2, but that his unit manager wouldn't give him the papers to sign because he felt it was too soon since my boy-friend entered back into FDC on Nov. 21. After he started grievance procedures, his unit manager talked to him to "find out what was going on". It was as if he was trying to nip it at the bud and save his behind. Then shortly thereafter, my numbers were suddenly approved and he recieved his halfway house papers to sign. Now, I've been disapproved as a visitor!!! I filled out my application completely and accurately. The only criminal history I have is a drinking in public charge I got when I was 18 years old and I got arrested for drinking one beer at a public beach in Hawaii. Yeah, they were having problems with people drinking in the county beach park's. I was sitting on the hood of a car at night when a van pulled up next to us and out jumped police in plain clothes. This was back in 1989!!! Then I have to contempt of court charges stemming from failure to appear on the same citation I got for an expired license!!! This was about 5 years ago. Now if the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security hired me knowing this, then why can't I go to a U.S. prison, in a controlled environment and visit my boyfriend? I don't get it!!! I don't even know for sure why they denied me. My boyfriend read me the notice he recieved and it said the reason why was protected by the privacy act. Do I get a letter stating why? I read that any background check info on visitors are kept in the inmates Central File in a Privacy Folder. The inmate can review the documents in his Central File but cannot review the documents in the Privacy Folder. I was thinking of writting a long letter to the Unit Manager, the Associate Warden, and the Warden. But I can't find the Associate Warden's or the Warden's name anywhere. I even search the web for Honolulu Wardens. Do you know how I can find out their names or do you think I can just address the envelope to "Warden of FDC Honolulu" and send it to the staff address? I am also going to request the information that they have about me in my boyfriends Privacy Folder. According to the "Freedom of Information Act" I have the right to review any records about me that are being held in a U.S. Government File unless it would basically disrupt National Security. Should I just send a letter to the Warden and not even bother sending copies of my letter to the Unit Manager and the Associate Warden? I am sending copies of FDC's poicies with the pertinant information highlighted. Would it help if I sent copies of my state and Federal ID's? If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. I live on the Big Island which is the Island of Hawaii, and my boyfriend is incarcerated at Honolulu FDC on the Island of Oahu. I have to fly to Oahu, rent a car, and stay in a hotel room on $$Waikiki$$ to visit him on a weekend. A round trip inter-Island flight cost about $150 dollars and a hotel room in Honolulu will cost about $100 a night. If I want to get cheaper air and room deals, I have to make my arrangements as far ahead as possible. Time is of the essence and I don't want to go through a lengthy appeals process but if that's all there is then that's all I can do. I'm hoping though that I can resolve this quickly. I've read about other people calling the Warden's in other states. Is this an option for me? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2006, 07:23 AM

Wow! Your message is difficult to follow with putting it all in one very long paragraph like that!

If you are denied, they will probably send you a letter. THey won't tell the inmate the reason for denial because of the privacy act. So wait for your letter. If you don't get it within a couple of weeks, then call there and speak with someone about it and ask why you were denied. Then take it from there.

Don't jump all over the warden or anyone else until you either (1) get the letter with details, or (2) get no letter after waiting two weeks or even longer. Definately, do not write a long letter to anyone until you cool down. If you need to write a letter later on, please type a professional letter using paragraphs, and don't be demanding of them. Sugar will get you more than vinegar!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:36 AM

Good to know that the govt. trusts you to work in homeland security but you cannot be in one of our prisons to visit?!?!?! I hope you get all of this worked out!~
Old 01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Baby an mommy miss daddy

keakitty! LOL thats funny you say that b/c i work for the military and have a top security clearence for my profession and they denied me and i have NO criminal background not even a speeding ticket!!! LOL i think they do things just to mess with people!!!! But i totally understand your position and your anger!!! expecially seeing he is sooo far away!!!

"Who can find a virtous women? for her price is greater than rubies" proverbs 31:10
Old 01-11-2006, 01:43 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Sis
Wow! Your message is difficult to follow with putting it all in one very long paragraph like that!

If you are denied, they will probably send you a letter. THey won't tell the inmate the reason for denial because of the privacy act. So wait for your letter. If you don't get it within a couple of weeks, then call there and speak with someone about it and ask why you were denied. Then take it from there.

Don't jump all over the warden or anyone else until you either (1) get the letter with details, or (2) get no letter after waiting two weeks or even longer. Definately, do not write a long letter to anyone until you cool down. If you need to write a letter later on, please type a professional letter using paragraphs, and don't be demanding of them. Sugar will get you more than vinegar!
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I kind of went on and on with this. I'll make my next message more reader friendly. Actually I'm not angry, just frustrated and kind of lost as to what to do. I'm going to try and get a hold of some information over the phone today and I'll post my results. The visitation policy just stated that the inmated is the one who is responsible to notify me if I was approved or denied. It didn't say anything about me being able to find out why I was denied or anything about appealing the decision. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 PM

its the same concept of not letting Ex DOC employees visit...even if its someone they knew before they worked there or whatever. You had enough clearance to go there on a daily basis and NOT be watched, but you can't comeback even being watched.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,823 Times in 1,600 Posts

The only thing I can think of with the information that you have given is that 1) they require people visiting to be immediate family, or because they are concerned of your clearance - not you personally but just concerned about someone with high clearance visiting an institution. I would venture to guess it may be the first one because you mentioned FDC - as in federal detention center, right? My brain is really starting to rust, but it seemed like when I was at the FDC in Houston prior to getting sentenced I could only have immediate family visit. I could be wrong but that is what I seem to recall.

Is he federal and is he pending trial or sentence?