Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Donation Award 

Default I am so tired of visiting county jail.

I am so tired of visiting county jail.

It's not the CO's. It's not the behind glass visiting. It's not the 30 minute visit after a 2 hour wait. It's not even the 2 hour wait.

It's the other visitors. Jail visitors are much different than prison visitors. And I have a new appreciaiton for the CO who mans the visiting desk.

The story I am about to tell you did not happen. It is a compilation of all jail visits.

At the Yakima County Jail, 4th floor, there are 7 visiting "booths". 2 of those are for legal visits, 1 is usually held exclusively for video visits, even though there are more 'booths' set up with video equipment. So, that leaves 4 'booths' for visiting, but only 2 or 3 of the phones will work.

If you have been there once, you know there are more visitors than 'booths' or time allow. If you have been there once, you also know that on weekends, 4th floor, you have to get in line 1-1/2 hours earlier than they open the doors, or risk not getting a visit.

Now. I have been standing in line now for more months than I care to admit. I have listened to the whining, complaining, the (bleeping) and moaning. The same words flowing from the same visitors week after week.

"They (the jail) should put a bench out here for us to sit on".
"They should let us in so we can get out of the (heat/rain/snow)".
"They should have more visiting rooms".
"They should start on time".
"They have it out for us, making us wait".
"Can you believe They have a new dress code?"
"Can you believe They cancelled all visiting last week?"

This of course is only overheard by me if it is spoken in English. Most of the time, the dominate language is Spanish and I can happily get lost in my own thoughts without a clue as to what is being said. But occasionally, there is English. And when there is English, it is whiney English. All directed towards the locked jail doors, holding us "hostage" in the foryer.

On occasion, as I look over in the general direction of the dominate English speaking whining "hostage", who is dressed in very little, it takes all the strength I have not to open my mouth and let my opinions roam every so gently as a fired up jet engine from my mind to hers.

They don't have to do anything other than what They are required to do, and that is house inmates within the budget.

They have no funds to put in a bench out here for us to sit on. If standing or sitting on the floor isn't your cup of tea, bring a camping chair or stay home.

They let us stand in the foyer which is protected from the (heat/rain/snow). At AHCC, I have stood outside, in the snow for over 30 minutes. Appreciate what you have or stay home.

They have no funds or floor space for more visiting rooms. Learn to deal with it or stay home.

They should start on time. Maybe. But do you have any idea what is happening in the tanks? Maybe they are dealing with a situation that is so horrendous, it would make you wish you stayed home.

They have a job to do and sometimes that means making us wait.

Can you believe They have a new dress code? Yes. After the outfit you wore last week, I can believe that they are sticking to their dress code, affecting all of the visitors attire. Be thankful you get to visit, cover up or stay home.

I heard They cancelled all visiting last week when the dominate English speaking whining "hostage", who is dressed in very little's guy went ballistic last week and flooded the tank every day, so they had to control the situation, thus no visiting.

I sometimes wonder, as the dominate English speaking whining "hostage", who is dressed in very little is arguing with the CO manning the visiting desk about the long wait, the dress code and various other situations he has no control over, why doesn't the CO just tell her what her guy has been up to? Put her in her place, shut her up. Make her realize that what he and she are doing is making it harder and more stressful for the rest of us?

I overheard a conversation between a CO and a Visiting Diva. Visiting Diva was making a lot of rukus over her guy not getting 3 visits, but only 2 and he had already had 2 visits that week. Visiting Diva wanted to know who the 2 other visitors were, when did they visit, how long did they stay, because she was going to call them and tell them they can't visit anymore. And she was his "wife" and had to see him today, couldn't you please make an expection and let me visit?

The CO calmly and quietly told her she could look on the no visiting list that was posted and see when and what time her guy had visits. As to who they were, he had no idea. Yes, inmates can have 3 visits if they behave themselves.

Visiting Diva went off!

CO calmly and quietly told her that it was the inmates responsibilty to act in a manner to receive the extra visit.

Visiting Diva was not happy. She left.

Co calmly and quietly went on the to next visitor.

What did the CO know that he didn't tell Visiting Diva?

I guess, like our guys, they have one face for the visitors, and another while in the tanks. What happens inside, stays inside. Even for the CO's.

I hate county jail visiting.

JJT
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM

AMEN!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM

Isnt it just dandy when some have to make the rest of us look bad.

The county jail visiting here is pretty much the same way. You have to get there very early or you wont even make it half way through the line. I think I would be more irritated to find out I stood in that line and listened to that complaining more then I would be irritated I stood in the line and didnt get to visit
Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Patiently Waiting
Donation Award 

It sounds like County Jails are the same no matter where you go! I think I've seen it all and heard it all. The visitors in the county are much more animated it seems. In prison it is more reserved and "controlled." UGH....some folks make us all look bad!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,834 Times in 11,078 Posts

Hmmm - our NY jails must be a little bigger than yours...I've only done visitation at one, but it was not behind glass, and dress was generally moderate. The wait, however. . . . lining up begins 2 hours before the doors open. the only protection is a small bus shelter which holds about 15 people if no-one has problems with personal space. That bus shelter is the place that all the moms with children are herded. There is seating for about 8, if nobody has too much junk in the trunk. Whether it's snowing bloody murder or 100 degrees or the middle of a hurricane downpour, that is the only protection there is. The rest of the potential visitors wait, standing, either swaddled like Eskimos or huddled together under umbrellas. 2 hours of that doesn not leave one with a particularly positive attitude for the visitation itself!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
one lucky woman

LMAO, YEAH!!!! I bring two newspapers for the wait and try to get everybody talking about the latest local political scandal or something, ANYTHING but that same old tired whine. And from what Eric says, it's much the same in on the tier. He never thought it was possible to miss prison until he had to listent to the woes of B Tier all these many months.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Sounds to me that all jails are pretty much the same. Here we wait outside while they call names on their muffled broken speaker. 3 areas for visiting--behind glass with everyone else almost elbow to elbow. Aprox 20 minutes to visit and only 3 times a week I think. Last time I visited it was to see my friends husband before they sent him off. I got there early and had a good hour and a half wait. So since we had already let them know who we were there to see we could go run around or do what ever. I felt so bad after talking to my friend the next day, she had gone to see him and they told her that she wouldn't be able to. Had I talked to her I would have let her have my spot.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:13 PM

Well, geez, after hearing some of these stories I would say no one around here has anything to b**ch about at all. Yes, you have to wait about an hour, but it is a brand spanking new facility and you are inside in the a/c or heat and they provide seating! We had an hour to visit (longer if they weren't busy) and I have never been turned away!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Don't Compromise Yourself

Are you sure you weren't eavesdropping at Parchman? I have been visiting at that prison (yes prison not county jail) for 4 years. I hear the same complaints from the same people every time I go. You would think after that amount of time, people would just learn to roll with it.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Kitty Loving Member
Donation Award 

I feel lucky, now. At Snohomish County Jail (Washington) there are a lot more booths than visitors, so I have never been turned away, or even had to wait in hopes of getting in. It's a nice, modern building and the officers are all very friendly (and some even have a sense of humor!). I always took alcohol wipes along to clean off the phone, since I had no idea who'd used it before me. The inmates are in a completely different building, and I think my only "complaint" (after hearing what other people have to endure) is the folks who yell so loud they probably could be heard without the phone.
JCLW
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Always thinking of you.

My boyfriend was arrested about a month ago, and is waiting in county jail for a federal trial. The standard rule of visiting is the two persons on the approved visitation list can come to visit once a week for 15 minutes. So far, I've been to see him 3 times, and no real problems yet. The lines are about an hour wait, and yes, there are the usual complainers in line waiting as well. One week, I went up to his floor and there was only one other visitor in the room, and because it wasn't crowded, the CO on duty let us stay together for 2 and 1/2 hours! The officer on duty just checked in on us from time to time and even smiled at me a few times when I got a worried look on my face that our time was up. The officer was so nice and I was on top of the world! Expecting the same treatment the next week, I went to the county jail happy as could be thinking I would get another 2.5 hours...they didn't even give us the whole 15 minutes. No warning whatsoever. The visitor room was not crowded, there were available phones on either side of us, and two other people had been in there longer than we had. Despite all of this, after 10 minutes had just passed, an officer opened the door, said his last name, and took him away from me. The officer didn't even allow him to say goodbye. I was devestated and immediately started crying.

When my boyfriend called me later that week, he said that when the officer was walking him back to his cell, he was trying to explain that we didn't even get the full 15 minutes. Then the officer told him "Eh, I'll make it up to you next week." I think it just depends what kind of mood the officer is in, etc.

It sucks, but it's the truth.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM
[URL=http://www.GlitterMa

is it really that bad? i am planning on going down to the state where my boyfriend is locked up(in county jail) signing a waiver, so i can come and see him on fridays for an hour. so, if i wanted to do that, i would have to wait in line for a couple hours? i would, but why? i mean, is there a chance i wouldnt be able to see him or something? can i get more info on visiting please? any thing would help, thanks peeps! jess