Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Default Help!!

I have two kid that with my first husband that is in prison usually my ex mother n law takes them to see him but no longer can I need to know if they will check to see if you are on probation or not. I have been to see him prior to being on probation but not since and my kids really want to see him and I know I am on his list. Also I am in texas. thanks in advance I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by txangel8782; 04-30-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered Optimist
Donation Award 

Hey ladies,
here's the thing. I had written in for extended visiting in October (EB/DR). I know that they should give us 12hrs minimum. Now I am notified from my man that they gave us only Sat and Sun, 10hrs total.
I can't believe it, I'm coming from Europe ONLY to visit over the weekend, I write in within 90 days and now this.
What would you recommend doing?!?! Writing in again? Calling in?
Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 PM
wifey

This happened to me last year sorry to say I was told it was because there were busy there is not much you can do U can try and phone them but I lost 2 1/2 hours
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

Email C/O Willis, James.Willis@cdcr.ca.gov> You are entiltled to 12 hours not only that you are coming from well over 300 miles therefore all those things have to be considered. He's really nice. Give him a try. You still have time. I hope this helps.
lulupine (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered Optimist
Donation Award 

Great advice, thank you, I'll try whatever it may take to get this mess sorted.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Visiting approval

My son is in reception and we are waiting on the visiting approval. I am prepared that it will take at least a few months. Does anyone know if I am approved for san quentin and then he is transferred to another prison before I get to visit, will I have to obtain a new form from my son at the new facility and start the whole visiting process all over again? The website makes it sound like once you are approved you are good for any prison in CA.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 AM

Does anyone know how long it is currently taking for visitation applications to be processed? ?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Visitation form SQ

Hello everyone
I have a question about the visitation forms. I'm filling out the one my friend send me. I was wondering if they see my europese drivers license as a valid id, I'm afraid that's not the case but if they do I can send it in already. Otherwise there is no other option than wait until I can renew my passport in 2 months
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud04 View Post
I would say that SQ is pretty strict on clothes, from what I see when I look at PTO members' pix when they visit their loved ones at other CA prisons. Though it also depends on the day. What works for you one week, may not work the next week. And what works for one person, may not work for you. Or you may wear something one day that you thought was maybe "pushing the envelope" and surprise they let you in, then the next day, you wear something totally conservative, yet may have to change that outfit. It really is up in the air with dresscode.

No blue jeans. Non-faded black jeans are okay. I did see women get in last month with gray jeans on, which surprised me. No blue shirts. No denim shirts or jackets. No green tops with khaki pants (which resemble what the COs wear). I have worn a green like top with black skirt and have gotten in. No camo tops or pants. No orange top with orange pants. I personally wouldn't do a white shirt, because white just seems to easy for them to say that it is "see through." No spaghetti straps. Skirts, dresses, and shorts must be two inches above the knee. Nothing overly tight. No showing your midriff or back. No cleavage showing...or any type of scoop or deep v-neck top. Nothing sheer. Nothing even remotely sheer or flimsy, actually. Make sure the outline of your bra can't be seen. If you layer your clothes, you will be evaluated by your lowest layer, so don't wear a cami under a conservative cardigan. No wire bra. You can wear any type of shoes. You can wear jewelry. All in all, the more conservative you are, the better.

If you can bring money for your visit, you can bring up to 50 dollars for the vending machine. Bring that in quarters or singles. There is a change machine in the visiting processing center, if you need to make change. Everything needs to be in a plastic baggie or clear purse. Just bring your money and valid ID. If you bring Kleenex, it must be unopened. You can also buy photo ducats for 2 dollars each, when you are processed in. Or your man can purchase them from canteen.

Yes, you can hold hands during your visit. I don't think there is a patio that you can go outside, but I am not sure, as I said earlier, my man is condemned, so the visits are a little different for us. I don't know exactly what your visiting room will look like, because condemned visits are totally different, being in separate booth like cages.

I am not certain, because I take a cab when I arrive but I believe when you see the exit for SQ, you take that and it takes you onto Main Street, that is the only street. You drive that down for like 15-30 seconds, and the prison is at the end. You can't go any further. You don't go through the main gate, where the guard is at, but you take a left before the main gate, and follow the road down into the parking lot. I think?? Then just walk up the stairs.

There is a long hallway, with lockers. Lockers are 50 cents. I put my purse and change of clothes (I bring a change of 2-3 outfits just in case) in the locker. So, if I am asked to change, I won't have to go to the house down the street and borrow clothes. I can just change in the bathroom which is outside the visiting processing center. Saves lots of time.

There are two lines...one for appointments and, I guess non appointments? I always have an appt. I don't know how that other line works. Sorry! But visitors have always been friendly and helpful to me if I have had any questions about where to go. Just ask :-).

If my appt is at 8, I arrive at 7. Very early, but I'd rather be early. They start processing 8 o'clock appt at 7:30.

Hope some of this helps! Enjoy your first visit :-).
That was so helpful!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder83 View Post
My son is in reception and we are waiting on the visiting approval. I am prepared that it will take at least a few months. Does anyone know if I am approved for san quentin and then he is transferred to another prison before I get to visit, will I have to obtain a new form from my son at the new facility and start the whole visiting process all over again? The website makes it sound like once you are approved you are good for any prison in CA.
I have heard that it does transfer within CA
Old 09-21-2014, 01:57 PM
weir s babygirl;-)

Question visitation at berrydale forestry work camp?

does DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT VISITATION AT BERRYDALE FORESTRY WORK CAMP I WOULD APRECIATE IT?????????
Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 AM

This is the San Quentin CA thread. Go back to main forum page and then go to the Florida section. There may be info there.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM
daisy3

Default California Prisons-Drug Screening

test phase beginning in mid-October.
not sure where, when, etc.
also not sure about when the 45 days for public comment commenced.

original article
http://sfbayview.com/2014/09/califor...-ion-scanners/

corrected length of public comment period for the new regulations.
the public will have 45 days to comment, not 160 days.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/art...rs-5778549.php

secondary resource with good information
http://sfbayview.com/2014/09/califor...-ion-scanners/

supporters are asked to send a message of opposition to CDCR by visiting
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51040/...tion_KEY=14857

Proposed new regulations as written by CDCR
http://www.oal.ca.gov/res/docs/pdf/e...0918-01EON.pdf
Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 PM

I've visited my son in reception in SQ before and so has his brother. I felt they were pretty strict about clothing. Since we had a drive a distance to visit I had other clothes in my car just in case. My son had on black pants and a black shirt but they made him change his shirt anyway and said it could be "navy blue". Blue is not allowed. The shirt was really black but not new so I guess they felt it was a tiny bit faded. They made him walk to the volunteer building up the hill where they loan clothes out for visiting. Another visitor, a young woman, looked very nice and was all covered up with a white tank tip and a pink t -shirt. They rejected her clothing because the t-shirt had a deep V neck and although the white tank top under it had a high neckline you are only allowed to wear one top so neither of them passed on their own. Pink is an acceptable color and so is black.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Default San Quentin Reception Visitation Appointments

Could some one fill me in on how to get an appointment for reception visitation? It seems as though you are supposed to call their number 1 week before visitation to make an appointment. I keep calling at their scheduled times but always get a recording saying the appointments are full. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by bejst1111; 05-17-2015 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Nm. I got my appointment and will get to see him on Sunday!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:47 PM

Unhappy How do you get an appointment for non-contact visits at San Quentin??

PLEASE HELP! My nephew has been approved for non-contact visits at San Quentin. We have been trying for months to get an appointment to visit him there. We call on the designated days to make appointments, monday's and wednesday's between 8 and 11 am. NO ONE ANSWERS the phone. It just rings and rings. If it isn't ringing, we get the recording saying all slots have been filled! We have notified the ombudsman who just tells us that he is approved for visits! WE KNOW! I have verified the number. I dont know what else to do. My nephew hasn't seen anyone for 6 months and hasnt talked to us for 4. Can anyone help me verify this number or do you have a different number or any suggestions? We write to him daily. He writes us back and says everyone gets visitors. He thinks we don't want to or we are calling the wrong number. Im lost!
Any suggestions would be helpful!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,055 Times in 3,010 Posts

Their website isn't very helpful either. It only has info for contact visits scheduled online through VPASS. Maybe try calling at times other than those Mon and Wed times? Or try calling the main line and asking them about the correct number? The only number I've seen anywhere associated with visits is 800-374-8474.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Your post is discouraging! I recently received approval and have been trying to schedule an appointment for a couple of weeks to no avail. Any advice from experienced appointment schedulers would be great!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:21 AM
daisy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdluvbird View Post
PLEASE HELP! My nephew has been approved for non-contact visits at San Quentin. We have been trying for months to get an appointment to visit him there. We call on the designated days to make appointments, monday's and wednesday's between 8 and 11 am. NO ONE ANSWERS the phone. It just rings and rings. If it isn't ringing, we get the recording saying all slots have been filled! We have notified the ombudsman who just tells us that he is approved for visits! WE KNOW! I have verified the number. I dont know what else to do. My nephew hasn't seen anyone for 6 months and hasnt talked to us for 4. Can anyone help me verify this number or do you have a different number or any suggestions? We write to him daily. He writes us back and says everyone gets visitors. He thinks we don't want to or we are calling the wrong number. Im lost!
Any suggestions would be helpful!
As of May-2013: the days and hours to call for an appointment are only Thursday and Saturday from 8am to 11am

415-455-5022 (reception appointment line) OR 415-455-5023 (condemned: grade a, grade b, administrative segregation, adjustment center appointment line)

If you still cannot reach someone, call: 415-454-1460 then dial -0- (zero) for the operator (a guard)...who may be able to assist in giving you the information needed to make your visiting appointment. I've called on an early Sunday morning (7:30am) and lucked out with this phone number being picked up by someone. Just let them know what the situation is and anticipate that the most they'll be able to do is re-direct you to whomever you need to speak to. Ask their name, ask who you need to speak to, their number and extension as well as the days and hours they may be reached...those are the variables. The visiting sergeants extension is 5811, but I've only reached a voicemail recording and it won't allow a message to be left. Once I heard to call the visiting sergeant after 10:00am, but still no luck in reaching someone. Good luck if you have not already been able to schedule your visiting appointment.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Default Success!

I was successful at getting an appointment to visit my husband at San Quentin. According to their hotline, there is one number for reception inmates (visits on Wednesday and Sundays) and another for condemned (visits on Thursday and Saturdays). I called the reception line on Wednesday at 8 am; it took 45 minutes of busy signals and redialing before the phone rang - and it rang for 4 minutes before being answered. And I learned that my husband is technically not in reception but in ad seg (although SQ is not his permanent location) and ad seg visits are grouped with condemned visits. So, the sergeant would not schedule an appointment for me; I had to call back on Thursday. So again, I started calling at 8:00 am. This time the phone rang ten minutes later. However, the phone rang for over 20 minutes before the sergeant answered! And I got my appointment scheduled!

So I have learned that when the phone rings, let it ring until someone answers. I will make sure that when I call to schedule an appointment, my phone is at full battery power and I will let it ring until someone answers!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:50 AM
Donation Award 

If you call on Wednesdays between 8-10 am or on Sundays between 8-10 am, you should get through. At first I was getting nowhere, but it was because the Legionnaire's Disease outbreak caused a lockdown. Since then, I have been able to get through on the second or third call, and I've been able to see my LO each week. Although one week I got there and the guard said he refused my visit. I came to find out he had been in a fight, and did not refuse my visit at all. When guards lie, it sets an example we must follow.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:09 PM

I've been trying to get a visit for thebpast month and I get that recording. My hubby id in the shu.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:14 PM

So I just got my visitation form from my boyfriend who is currently in SQ reception. In the form it asks me if I have gotten arrested (which I did couple months ago) but I only got a court date and didn't spend time in jail. I have been going to court after court for that case. So my question is do I put yes that I have been arrested? What about when it says "Disposition (dismissed, probation, jail, prison)" do I put case pending? When it asks if o am on probation do I put no since they haven't assigned any probation yet? I'm so confused . I Dont not want to get dissaproved. Should I just wait till my court reaches a solution ? Any help would be great
Old 03-22-2016, 09:28 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

Whatever you do tell the truth. They will a background check either way. Your case is still active in court until that is resolve they will deny you your visits. Once your case is over get a copy of the minutes and deposition showing that the case was dismissed. Send your visit form once this is over with. That will save you the headache of getting denied then having to fill it out again.