Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever Garcia View Post
Hello everyone !! have a question ...r we allowed to wear solid grey ...like sweatpants??? thank u n advance :-)
yes I wore a solid grey velvet jumpsuit last visit...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts
Default VSP Visitation/Updated Information!!

A very special thanks to Brigitte for assisting us!!
  • There are 2 visiting rooms. 1 visiting room is filled up first, then the 2nd visiting room is opened. Visiting rooms are not yard-specific
  • Appointments are made on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:00-3:00 by calling 559.665.6100 extension 8950. Appointments can be made up to 4 weeks in advance.
  • VPASS will be implemented in April 2013.
  • The published standards will be followed for dress code. Visiting Guide Occasionally there may be some questions about this and those issues should be brought to the attention of the Visiting Sergeant (Sgt. Frede) or the Visiting Lieutenant (Lt. Bergersen). This is likely the result of having an officer who is working in visiting infrequently and doesn't understand the standards.
  • Donations to the visiting rooms are always welcomed. Lt. Tony Martinez (Community Resource Manager) is the point of contact for donations to the visiting room. Donations can include toys and games for children such as Candyland, Checkers, Chess, etc. Also, Bibles, Qurans, Books of Mormen, etc., can be donated.
1mikediaz (10-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 PM

If you have already visited, you know how expensive and what poor quality the food is. For those of you who will be visiting for the first time, get ready for the price gouging ,poor tasting food.
The vendor has posted up a sign giving his rationale for the price gouging, and I think so when we say to ourselves,"WTH, these prices are high I am going to complain, but wait a minute, their is a sign posted here telling us that he has no choice but to put these prices on the food, he isn't trying to take advantage of us."
But he is. I called up the business manager and he gave me a number to call. The more of us that give our concerns /complaints regarding this price gouging (taking advantage) and poor quality food the better. Please do not sit back and wait for somebody to do this we need to be together on this. Please call, Luis Rodriguez 510 -622-2936. Please I don"t want to be the only squeeky wheel. Thank you, Joy
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM

You re so right when I visited for the first time I was so taken back. The food ran out n what ever was there was extremely over priced. Now I feed the kids before we get there buy snacks while there n take them to eat after. I mean yeah they overcharge every where but here it was more than usual. N the one pizza that I bought tasted funky.
Maybe if we stick up it can help a little.
I mean yeah I get it its vending food but they r taking advantage. I will deff. Call

Last edited by Rlsbby4eva; 02-22-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

Ladies can someone tell me the standard pricing for the food? Example: A Cheeseburger? Chips? Soft Drinks?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj663 View Post
Ladies can someone tell me the standard pricing for the food? Example: A Cheeseburger? Chips? Soft Drinks?
Well sometimes they put the cheeseburger in th $4.50 slot and sometimes in the $6.00 slot so it varies. They do have a double cheeseburger that runs for $6.00. The chips are $1.75 and drinks start at $2.00 up to $3.50. They are not consistent and from above posts definitely overcharging and food is not fresh. I know the first time they brought out the cuties(like tangerines) they priced them at $6.00 for 3. Ridiculous but people bought them which only keeps them from overcharging.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

You got to be kidding me!!!!! Ladies and families I urge you to either petition this company or write a formal letter. A bag of chips should run no more than $1.00. A regular soda should be $1.00. Juice or gatorade is $1.75-$2.00. You can buy a bag of fresh tangerines for less than $6.00 try $3.50-$4.00. This would be one thing to consider in the next IFC meeting. I know that some vendors have contract through the CDCR but if we make a complaint of gouging our voices can be heard. We need to find out if this company service other surrounding prisons? And if they do are they pricing them the same.

I say this because before this was a all womens prison and the visits were few and in between ( From what I heard) therefore that could be the reason for the price increase. Now that it is a men's prison the price may in fact decrease once they see the visiting numbers. I could be wrong please advise.
sidewalker (04-07-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Hi, Chuckawalla Valley State Prison has the same food and beverages prices as V.S.P. Correct me if I am wrong, but the other day I bought a carne asada sandwich which I believe was 7 dollars.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM

There have been several complaints received by the IFC about the prices and quality. It has been added to the agenda for the next meeting in April. Thank you, Joy for the contact information for the vendor. I didn't have that yet! Someone from the IFC will contact him prior to the meeting to see if we can get things to change sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brigitte For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-07-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith1988 View Post
Hi, Chuckawalla Valley State Prison has the same food and beverages prices as V.S.P. Correct me if I am wrong, but the other day I bought a carne asada sandwich which I believe was 7 dollars.
The quality of food at VSP doesn't come close to the food at Chuckawalla! And the exact same cheesecake you get at CVSP for $3.00 is $5.00 at VSP.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
There have been several complaints received by the IFC about the prices and quality. It has been added to the agenda for the next meeting in April. Thank you, Joy for the contact information for the vendor. I didn't have that yet! Someone from the IFC will contact him prior to the meeting to see if we can get things to change sooner.
Update information: I spoke with Luis Rodriguez at (510) 622-2936( he didnt call me back I had to call him again) he told me that the vendor is doing everything right according to the way it states in the agreement- he is providing nourishing meals. Luis was side stepping the question of who his supervisor was because I still had not contacted the vendor Steve Adams at (559) 665-5683. Which I did call but of course no return calls. I called Luis Rodriguez to find out who his supervisor was again, which I found out is Bill Shirah in Sacramento at ((916) 558-5350 and I have called repeatedly but still have not heard back from him.
So, my point is this as Steve Adams can deliver nourishing meals he can hike up the prices to whatever he wants? I know there has to be a price cap on products. Remember the Katrina incident ?- the stores were hiking up prices and taking advantage of people, the Govt. stepped in on that. I know this isnt a disaster, just want to make a point here that vendors/stores cant be price gouging. I am really not getting anywhere, people are giving me the run around.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Juego View Post
Update information: I spoke with Luis Rodriguez at (510) 622-2936( he didnt call me back I had to call him again) he told me that the vendor is doing everything right according to the way it states in the agreement- he is providing nourishing meals. Luis was side stepping the question of who his supervisor was because I still had not contacted the vendor Steve Adams at (559) 665-5683. Which I did call but of course no return calls. I called Luis Rodriguez to find out who his supervisor was again, which I found out is Bill Shirah in Sacramento at ((916) 558-5350 and I have called repeatedly but still have not heard back from him.
So, my point is this as Steve Adams can deliver nourishing meals he can hike up the prices to whatever he wants? I know there has to be a price cap on products. Remember the Katrina incident ?- the stores were hiking up prices and taking advantage of people, the Govt. stepped in on that. I know this isnt a disaster, just want to make a point here that vendors/stores cant be price gouging. I am really not getting anywhere, people are giving me the run around.
Thank you for your efforts! We should consider not purchasing food one weekend and see how they like that. Maybe you will get a call back!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Default Food Prices

Maybe we should find out when the contract is up with this vendor and have input through the IFC on the next one. It is so expensive that 50 dollars does not go far.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 AM

Default vendor's outrages prices

Bill Shirah finally got a hold of me today regarding the vendor issues. He was surprised when I told him that we are paying 3.50 for an avocado, and 7.00 for a food item that is in the vending machine. I told him that I calculated all the vending machines that were on just on side A and told him that on one Saturday this vendor is easily making $3,000 I really came up with $4500.00 but I wanted to underestimate , this is just on one side and one day. Steve Adams refuses to return my calls all together. Bill Shirah said he would talk to Steve Adams to try to figure out why the prices are so high. Of course, Steve is going to give him some justifiable explanation for his high prices. Bill is looking forward to talking to IFC to be able to discuss this vendor gouging problem. I hope if we have a person on the IFC board here on this site that they please make note of the very expensive drinks and food items and can jot down some of the prices so that they can bring it up for discussion. I hope we can take care of this , this guy is really making a profit and taking advantage of us. Thanks, JJ
The Following User Says Thank You to Joy Juego For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-07-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Juego View Post
Bill Shirah finally got a hold of me today regarding the vendor issues. He was surprised when I told him that we are paying 3.50 for an avocado, and 7.00 for a food item that is in the vending machine. I told him that I calculated all the vending machines that were on just on side A and told him that on one Saturday this vendor is easily making $3,000 I really came up with $4500.00 but I wanted to underestimate , this is just on one side and one day. Steve Adams refuses to return my calls all together. Bill Shirah said he would talk to Steve Adams to try to figure out why the prices are so high. Of course, Steve is going to give him some justifiable explanation for his high prices. Bill is looking forward to talking to IFC to be able to discuss this vendor gouging problem. I hope if we have a person on the IFC board here on this site that they please make note of the very expensive drinks and food items and can jot down some of the prices so that they can bring it up for discussion. I hope we can take care of this , this guy is really making a profit and taking advantage of us. Thanks, JJ
Just some FYI for you. Went to visit today and the new item in vending machine is condiments for $1.00. Are you kidding me????????
Old 03-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Yup saw them!! Now they're even selling the ketchup little packages n such!!! Ridiculous
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Unhappy

I know...I saw them too !!! I told my husband this s bull s%&#..
Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM

Hi ladies has anyone experienced any issues with the female Co's in visiting?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM

The IFC has obtained a copy of the vendor's contract. We are going through it with a fine-toothed comb. There are other groups at the state level who are in contact with the Department of Rehab - who owns the contract for Adams Vending. However, there are no price controls in the contract.

Visit our website www.vsp-ifc.com and please send an email to the address provided. The state-wide group are gathering all complaints to hopefully make a law change, but it's going to take time. Keep the complaints coming, but also be patient.

I talked to the vendor this morning and he is removing the condiments from the vending machine. But it's going to be a fight to have him supply them in a big serving container as in the past. At this point, we need to be careful because he may raise prices again to "cover the cost of condiments" in other ways.

Everyone can HELP in the fight by returning unused packets of condiments (if they are supplied) rather than throwing them away.

Please visit the new VSP IFC website. Your feedback is welcome.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 AM

Default Your Visitor Application is denied, "Sincerely"; "have a nice day!"

We may wish to confirm the part that says "The inmate does NOT have to sign an update Form 106." I have sent not one, but two, 106 forms in. In each case the form was returned to me with a form letter note. The note is ("sincerely"?!) from "staff" (on behalf of "RON DAVIS / Warden (A) / Valley State Prison for Women [sic]"). It states, in part, "The inmate's signature is REQUIRED to process the application." (underline and capitalization in the original) (How strange that they signed impersonally as "staff" and yet say "Sincerely" )

While I did not note that this application was an "update", this form letter doesn't seem to suggest that would make any difference. (In my case it isn't clear if I could use an "update" only. My brother was transferred to VSP, and I had approved visitation at his previous prison, but that may not have transferred with him. Although it should! )

I had already asked my brother to send me a form which he has signed so I can re-apply. ("third times the charm"?)

But I thought I would post this. So others might also "err on the side of caution" and avoid possible delays by submitting applications already signed by the inmate to be visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
VSP requires that all approved visitors update their visiting approvals every 24 months. The inmate does NOT have to sign an update Form 106. Don't wait until you have a visit to find out it's been longer than 24 months! You will be required to fill out the form at that time and it will take much longer to get through processing. Ask your inmate to send you a Form 106 and write "UPDATE" on the top of the form. Fill it out and return it to:
Valley State Prison
Attn: Visiting Sergeant
PO Box 99
Chowchilla, CA 93610

Form 106 is also available online by searching "CDCR Form 106"
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,672 Times in 15,313 Posts

as I understand it, if its an original application the inmates signature is required.
If its an update, I do not think its required. (could be wrong)
Ive also read and seen that if you have been approved you can visit and update your info at the visit.
Maybe they are confused and think your application is new, not an update.

Good that you already got a new form, signed by your brother, and have submitted it.

Now, about the food issues HOLY COW!
That is so not right. A dollar for a small package of ketchup???? I want to ask if your kidding but I know your not.
Outrageous.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Kim

Default Visiting

Hi...

Does anyone know if VPASS is working yet for VSP? My husband is being transfered in the next month or so and VPASS makes it so much easier to make an visiting appointment.

Thank you,
Kim

Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLGirl View Post
Hi...

Does anyone know if VPASS is working yet for VSP? My husband is being transfered in the next month or so and VPASS makes it so much easier to make an visiting appointment.

Thank you,
Kim
They are saying mid May but they had also did April 1st but who knows.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Vpass has updated the website to inculde vsp and other facilities. I just updated my profile! No visit dates available yet but this will allow you to register if you havent already.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Default vpass

Hi, I am new here, will be visiting for the first time the 18th 19th and 26th of this month. I have tried calling to set up visit appointment but never got an answer so I signed up for VPASS even though VSP was not listed as one of the prisons using it yet. I received an email back that said:

New Message:

Welcome to Valley State Prison. VPASS will be opened for registrations starting May 6th and appointments starting May 19th.

Thank you,

The CDCR VPASS Team

I am discouraged by the news of the horrible tasting yet expensive food. I was hoping I could sit and have a couple of decent meals with him (his last prison sucked, but at least the food was decent, and not overly expensive)

I haven't gotten a new (signed) form 106 from him, because I didn't think I would need one as my visit form from his previous prison is still in effect - now I'm starting to worry. I will be calling the visiting line until somebody answers and I make sure I will be allowed in - you can't even begin to imagine the ruckus I will raise if they try telling me I can't visit.

I hope everything goes smoothly for my visit, and that I get to meet some of you ladies while I'm there.

Karren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLGirl View Post
Hi...

Thank you,
Kim