Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Tennessee Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Post Tennessee prison for women mail rejection rules.

Hello. I was just wondering does anyone know what happens after a letter has been rejected? I've sent 2 letters since then and no reply. So is there a time limit till when you can resend the letter? Does your other letters get rejected or held back? Or are you permanently banned from resending? I'm a UK resident as well by the way. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Why was your letter rejected?

I am not experienced with Tennessee, but I have penpals in a number of other states. I occasionally have a letter rejected for some silly reason, such as a colored envelope, clippings from newspapers not allowed, or a photo that was deemed objectionable. In all cases there were no ramifications, all following letters were delievered.

If you attempted to send contraband then you might get banned, but something simple is unlikely to get your letters rejected on a continuning basis.

In general, these are the guidelines I recommend until you know otherwise:

Envelopes should be white, no colors.

I used to say paper should be plain white "copy" paper, but recently some prisons insist on line "notebook" paper so that if it has been soaked in anything the lines would smear. So use notebook paper (even in a printer) and black ink.

The envelope MUST be addressed properly, including the inmates ID number, and a valid return address.

Do NOT use any tape to close the envelope or on the letter.

No perfume, stickers, glitter, etc.

Until you know otherwise, keep the letter to one or two pages, do not include anything (such as newspaper clippings) and keep the content of the letter "G" rated and don't bash the prison or system.

R. Mc.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:29 PM

Post Thanks for the reply

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yea well I did you r rated content on the letter and the one after, but not my last letter I kept that clean and respectful. All my letters generally are but those two I made a fault on as I'm still trying to understand how it all works.

Though the main reason I'm thinking is that my penpal told me about a member of staff abusing his position to say the least. I called him a c***! So for this I think I've made a grave error, just me not understanding and now I regret it. I know she was more than keen to keep in touch I keep trying and won't stop. It generally takes a couple of weeks either way for us to write to each other but i haven't heard anything since march and she hasn't heard anything from me since February I'm gathering. I'm just wondering would she be notified. And surely I'll be able to write again.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:14 PM

I email my LO a lot and send her hard copies of the emails so she can read them in her cell. It took a VERY long time from when they received it until they delivered it, and all it was were some photos and about 20 pages of printed emails. I guess they had to read through all of it?