Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison News & Events Post articles and news worthy events for New York in this forum.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,068 Times in 16,177 Posts
Thumbs up Cuomo to Give Colleges $7 Million for Courses in Prisons

Cuomo to Give Colleges $7 Million for Courses in Prisons

ALBANY — Moving ahead with a plan that has drawn criticism from conservatives, the administration of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is awarding more than $7 million in grants to a variety of colleges around the state to offer courses to prisoners.

The plan, first announced in January last year, is the culmination of an effort that began in 2014 but was attacked by Republicans and others in the state who objected to using public money to help convicted criminals, an idea that was derided as “Attica University

Read entire article HERE.

I hope many our members incarcerated loved ones can benefit from the increased funding for college classes!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GaReform (08-07-2017), onedayatatime13 (08-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 04:36 PM

In my loved one's prison she has access to Khan Academy/University classes on a huge range of subjects from high school to college level. The Massive open online course curricula already exists, apart from Khan there is also edX and others. I'm very curious where is this $7 million dollars going? Tablets, servers and prison secure wifi networks? It would have been cool if the NYT had given more details.
The Following User Says Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 05:18 PM

NYS not going to WiFi or secure servers.... More like salaries for teachers, books, and misc items needed for teaching and students. NYU has been involved for years. Bard College also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 PM

I get the benefit of good teachers, but it would nice if there was hybrid approach where an inmate with a tablet could learn anywhere. There is the potential for way more certificate programs and degree programs. An old school teacher/classroom only approach is also the most expensive way to teach just about anything.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,967 Times in 7,794 Posts

Are there actual classes (teacher + students + lecture time) being held?

My husband "attends" college courses in his facility in California and even though inmates are on the same semester schedule and have set classes they can register for, it's all correspondence. He doesn't go to a class. He completes assignments and submits them for review.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Are there actual classes (teacher + students + lecture time) being held?

My husband "attends" college courses in his facility in California and even though inmates are on the same semester schedule and have set classes they can register for, it's all correspondence. He doesn't go to a class. He completes assignments and submits them for review.
In several prisons, there are full college programs, funded privately. Look no farther than Sing Sing (one of the most progressive prisons in the US)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Thanked 1,758 Times in 702 Posts

That is very encouraging to see any positive movement in incarceration. Now if only we could get some change in attitude so that once they're released they would be able to use the education.

My son has a college degree & 10 years of IT experience but because of his conviction on his background, no one will hire him. His conviction is 3 years ago & he had a short time to serve with long probation. Since it shows up on background checks the employers don't care how educated he is or how skilled he is for the job. It's almost sad to educate people if they aren't allowed to put the knowledge to use.

But maybe the time is coming when we can show society that given a chance, people with a criminal history can be the most determined to succeed.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Jeffs Princess

This was a huge win for inmates in NY. The BARD program is phenomenal. I truly believe BARD changed Jeff's life. Sadly, he didn't get to finish his degree due to him being shipped out of the prison for a ticket, but he took so much away from his experience. The professors at BARD, saw such potential in Jeff, potential I honestly believe he didn't realize he had. In the acknowledgment section of his book, he thanks BARD college and discusses his time at BARD in a later chapter.

Jeff is waiting for his classification to drop and when it does, I will do whatever I can to get him back to Eastern and back into the BARD program. Jeff has been in prison for 20 years and was causing nothing but trouble for most of his time. BARD truly changed him. He is proof that education in prison works.

A few years ago the BARD prison debate team beat the Harvard debate team. This speaks volumes. I think this is wonderful and so nice to see someone saying nice things about this. What I have witnessed pertaining to this discussion via social media has been so disheartening.

~Jeff's Princess~