Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in the State of Arizona.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM

Default Housing after release

Has anyone had any luck in the last year or so finding housing, apts and such to stay in w their loved one upon their release? Looking in the Phoenix and immediate surrounding areas so like chandler Gilbert Mesa Peoria etc. Iíve called everywhere even looked on Craigslist and have struck out w everything. I thought maybe w me on the lease bc my background is squeaky clean excellent credit score good salary it would make them feel more comfortable bc his crin history isnít very bad but they say felony no or active parole or probation no. So Iím just feeling so defeated bc we have nothing bc I canít afford to buy and canít afford to rent a home. I called those people that are supposed to help w difficult situations in helping to find apts and they said inventory is low they have nothing for criminal backgrounds w felonies - im like what the heck how are our loved ones supposed to have a chance?!? Just hoping someone has had auccess and can point me in a direction or two or three bc lots of tears lately bc I have to find something soon...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 PM

Are you sure you can't buy? You mentioned you have an excellent credit history and a good salary. If you are a first time home buyer there are many programs that can help with down payment assistance. Condos or townhomes are also a lot cheaper so if you can't buy a home why not look at something smaller? Not sure what industry you are in but there are grant programs for certain careers (medical professionals, teachers) available as well.

You would probably be best to stay away from large apartment complexes and leasing/management companies. Most of them have a "crime free" lease addendum that would prevent your LO from legally dwelling. If you are absolutely certain you are not in a position to buy, you could always try to find a privately owned residence to rent. Best of luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQueen For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-25-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:19 AM

Yes I looked at buying something smaller but where I live it’s strange the town has all these weird extras for smaller places - have to be able to put at least 10% down for condos plus closing that’s why we r looking to move - I don’t have that much saved. Sadly I’m not a first time buyer - 2nd so don’t qualify for those incentives so wish I did. I’ve been trying to find the privately owned places but not much luck from a distance bc I live so far from that county and hard bc don’t know good areas from bad. - just feel defeated... was trying to stay away from buying bc wanted to move back to where I was from the moment we could and not be trapped in something bc we couldn’t sell but I don’t just seem stuck all around - hence the tears - sadly when people meet him they always want to rent to him wish I didn’t have to have an address so far in advance and could just do like an extended stay for a week or something have people meet him and then I know we’d luck out but they don’t want that. That you tho for responding...makes me not feel so alone...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-28-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:02 AM

As I am a past inmate - we ran into the same situation. The only apartments etc that allow felons seem to be in not so good areas, however some of the apartments that have felony prohibitions do exclude non violent and non drug related issues. Best bet is to find a house or apt that is privately owned but that can be difficult. If you need advice as to what areas are ok or not ok let me know as I know the valley well - good luck on your search
Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,959 Times in 4,561 Posts

I would definately look into buying if you have a good salary and good credit history you need to see what your options are and see about getting a mortgage you may be surprised.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
Yes I looked at buying something smaller but where I live itís strange the town has all these weird extras for smaller places - have to be able to put at least 10% down for condos plus closing thatís why we r looking to move - I donít have that much saved. Sadly Iím not a first time buyer - 2nd so donít qualify for those incentives so wish I did. Iíve been trying to find the privately owned places but not much luck from a distance bc I live so far from that county and hard bc donít know good areas from bad. - just feel defeated... was trying to stay away from buying bc wanted to move back to where I was from the moment we could and not be trapped in something bc we couldnít sell but I donít just seem stuck all around - hence the tears - sadly when people meet him they always want to rent to him wish I didnít have to have an address so far in advance and could just do like an extended stay for a week or something have people meet him and then I know weíd luck out but they donít want that. That you tho for responding...makes me not feel so alone...
I think it would be worth it to look into it some more. You could always get a small property and turn it into a rental property if you decide to move. Who knows, then someday you can turn around and bless another person facing this situation? Look into the homeownership programs available through NACA, HUD, Habitat for Humanity. Not sure what the stipulations are but worth giving it a shot. My motto is, they can always say no...but what if its a yes? Won't know until you try!

naca.com
hud.gov
habitat.org
Old 09-03-2018, 10:07 PM

Yes I’ll keep looking I have been since you all have been mentioning it - looking for something cheap but decent just in case I can’t sell it right away when we want to move out of state when he’s off paper and something I didn’t realize certain places even if you own (unless a house of course) they say they still do background checks bc it’s a complex or if it’s a manufactured home when I found some decent ones in good areas and complexes they say you rent our land so we have the right to do checks and exclude even though you own the home. I was like what?? So it got me thinking - is that going to be the case on all condos or apts or manufactured homes unless on private land?? That i would buy and he wouldn’t even be able to live there?? Just so frustrating!!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,624 Times in 622 Posts

As a possible idea/suggestion - could you buy a used RV of some type and then rent from a Mobile Home Park. That way you wouldn't be stuck. Since a lot of them are transitory and cater to part timers and winter travelers, maybe there are some in a decent area that don't run background checks?

I don't actually know the answer as to if they do background checks, but I did buy an RV years ago and it was like buying a car, so with a good credit rating I got it without a down payment and unlike a home, there are no closing costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (09-10-2018)