Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:34 AM

Default Reception 101

I have a question. So how long is one typically going to be in reception for ? And letís say they qualify for certain programs like say fire camp or whatís elsnethere is . When will they be sent out to that or transfer. Itís been a while now and Iím getting anxious because I wanna know a realistic time from of when my LO will be coming home yes I have seen like his ď earliest release date ď online but I know he has to get points and etc so I feel like it will change .íalso with 33% and getting credits and all that . When do we know all that stuff ? Heís been in reception going on 4 months so .
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,694 Times in 15,326 Posts

The length of reception time varies. Mostly due to finding them a bed.
I think its supposed to be like 90 to 120 days.

And not to freak you out, but my hub was in reception for 13 months. (rare)
I forget how long after he saw the person who goes over his info and basically lists what facilities might work for him, it still took 13 months for him to mainline.
Oh, and he ended up not going to any of the prisons they told him he would go to.

Take a breath. Try to be patient.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-29-2019), Sarianna (03-30-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,941 Times in 7,781 Posts

As has been mentioned in your other threads, reception runs 4-6 months depending on the volume of inmates they have to process at the time and the number of counselors available to do that work.

He will be evaluated for programming needs when he sees his counselor and then it's typically less than a month before they are moved to their home prison/location. And to reinforce what sidewalker said, the facilities they request during reception are not guaranteed. I've known guys to get on a bus headed for one and then to be diverted somewhere else. Things happen.

After that, assuming he goes to a regular state facility, he'll be on orientation. That usually runs about two weeks, but again...depends on a number of factors. During that period they may or may not be allowed calls or visitation. I've had mine go through orientation in a few days and up to a week. Things happen.

Credits for reception will be applied when he sees the counselor I mentioned above. He can't earn anything (as listed under Prop57) until he's out of reception and in home facility or camp. Then it will be a year before those credits are calculated, unless for some reason he receives a bi-annual and then he may be updated earlier. Things happen.

Patience is paramount. They have little to no control over anything in there. We have even less.

Last edited by miamac; 03-29-2019 at 12:53 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (03-29-2019), Sarianna (03-30-2019), sidewalker (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
As has been mentioned in your other threads, reception runs 4-6 months depending on the volume of inmates they have to process at the time and the number of counselors available to do that work.

He will be evaluated for programming needs when he sees his counselor and then it's typically less than a month before they are moved to their home prison/location. And to reinforce what sidewalker said, the facilities they request during reception are not guaranteed. I've known guys to get on a bus headed for one and then to be diverted somewhere else. Things happen.

After that, assuming he goes to a regular state facility, he'll be on orientation. That usually runs about two weeks, but again...depends on a number of factors. During that period they may or may not be allowed calls or visitation. I've had mine go through orientation in a few days and up to a week. Things happen.

Credits for reception will be applied when he sees the counselor I mentioned above. He can't earn anything (as listed under Prop57) until he's out of reception and in home facility or camp. Then it will be a year before those credits are calculated, unless for some reason he receives a bi-annual and then he may be updated earlier. Things happen.

Patience is paramount. They have little to no control over anything in there. We have even less.
Is orientation different from reception? Also , I was thinking that from his sentence that he would do about a year and some change including his time already served so that would mean he would be getting out in a few
Months or say the end of this year . But by whatís your saying he would do at least a year from when heís out of reception and settled into his housing . Omg
The Following User Says Thank You to Londonf For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (04-03-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 02:52 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,687 Times in 2,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonf View Post
Is orientation different from reception?
Yes, it is. When you move out of reception the reception period is done. You will be moved to your 'home prison' and your stay there will start with the orientation period.

From the CDCR website:

What can an inmate expect upon arriving at their designated institution?
Upon arrival the inmate will begin an orientation period during which he/she will attend an initial classification hearing to determine the appropriate programming and housing needs for that particular inmate. There can be a waiting period until an inmate can begin to attend school or be assigned to a job.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-03-2019), Patrickj (04-03-2019), sidewalker (03-31-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Yes, it is. When you move out of reception the reception period is done. You will be moved to your 'home prison' and your stay there will start with the orientation period.

From the CDCR website:

What can an inmate expect upon arriving at their designated institution?
Upon arrival the inmate will begin an orientation period during which he/she will attend an initial classification hearing to determine the appropriate programming and housing needs for that particular inmate. There can be a waiting period until an inmate can begin to attend school or be assigned to a job.
So could that mean he could be moved to a different prison all together ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Londonf For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-03-2019), sidewalker (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:10 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonf View Post
So could that mean he could be moved to a different prison all together ?

If you are doing "Orientation you are usually at your assigned facility. Orientation usually takes place at a higher security level of the facility you are assigned to. Once you go to Institutional Classification Committee (ICC) during orientation they decide if you are going to stay "Main line" or minimum custody.
Once this decision is made by committee you still may go "Main Line" until a bed opens up at the minimum custody facility
The minimum custody facility is on the same general grounds most of the time unless you get assigned to fire camp (few different steps take place)
For an example lets say I was endorsed to DVI minimum custody from Wasco reception I would be transferred to DVI from Wasco, go through orientation at DVI wait for a bed at the minimum custody facility on the "Main Line " of DVI. I would not leave or be transferred to another prison just another part at DVI
miamac (04-03-2019), Sarianna (04-04-2019), sidewalker (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,941 Times in 7,781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
If you are doing "Orientation you are usually at your assigned facility. Orientation usually takes place at a higher security level of the facility you are assigned to. Once you go to Institutional Classification Committee (ICC) during orientation they decide if you are going to stay "Main line" or minimum custody.
Once this decision is made by committee you still may go "Main Line" until a bed opens up at the minimum custody facility
The minimum custody facility is on the same general grounds most of the time unless you get assigned to fire camp (few different steps take place)
For an example lets say I was endorsed to DVI minimum custody from Wasco reception I would be transferred to DVI from Wasco, go through orientation at DVI wait for a bed at the minimum custody facility on the "Main Line " of DVI. I would not leave or be transferred to another prison just another part at DVI
Yep. And all of this is part of why we can't tell you how long he's going to be down. Reception first. If he has any time left after that, then a move to his home facility where he will go through orientation. He may or may not stay there. If they move him again, he'll go through orientation at the new facility, as well. Or...he might be such a short stay that they just keep him at his reception facility, in reception, until they release him. That's a possibility, too. His time has already started, though, so none of this is wasted. It's all counted and will be calculated with each move.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (04-04-2019), Sarianna (04-04-2019), sidewalker (04-04-2019)