Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM

Smile Number for family relations / family resource that helps w/transfers?

So my boyfriend is at a 180 and supposed to be dropped to a 270. He told me that there is a family relations or family resource number I can call you speak to someone about this. He is also trying to get transferred closer to home. He was only supposed to be where he's at for about 8-9 months and hes been there 3 years and been working since he got there 3 years ago. He hasnt had any write up or been in trouble. Im just trying to find this number he is talking about. He said someone called family relations or resources and they helped him and he got transferred within 4 months.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetiePB View Post
So my boyfriend is at a 180 and supposed to be dropped to a 270. He told me that there is a family relations or family resource number I can call you speak to someone about this. He is also trying to get transferred closer to home. He was only supposed to be where he's at for about 8-9 months and hes been there 3 years and been working since he got there 3 years ago. He hasnt had any write up or been in trouble. Im just trying to find this number he is talking about. He said someone called family relations or resources and they helped him and he got transferred within 4 months.
This is pretty vague Im sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck!

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:10 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,068 Times in 16,177 Posts

Are you looking for Inmate Family Council (IFC)? What facility is he in? As I understand it, each prison should have its own Council.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,967 Times in 7,794 Posts

The short answer is there is no phone number for you to call that deals with his housing. There are things he can do, but I'll give you some titles first.

The IFC is group of loved ones and prison staff that addresses institutional issues that primarily involved things to do with visiting, family visiting, communication between staff/inmates and families (think visitor processing, vending machine problems, family visiting housing issues, phone costs, ect). There are supposed to be groups at every facility, but that's dependent on volunteers and most facilities run thin. Here is the link to the Statewide IFC. To find out where your local IFC posts information, the best bet is to google the facility name and IFC. Some use Facebook, blogs. It's a bit scattered and often out of date. Bottom line, they have nothing to do with inmate movement.

The ombudsman. "The Office of the Ombudsman listens, answers your questions, analyzes your situation, explains CDCR policies and procedures, advocates for the fairness of a process as opposed to advocating for an individual party, provides information and at times advice and develops options, suggests appropriate referrals, apprises administration of significant trends and may recommend changes in policies and procedures."
In this case, the most they would likely do is stop by and speak with your LO about the situation and assess if their position would be of any help. They do not advocate for transfers based solely on request as that is classification/Sacramento issue. But they do offer some suggestions.

Outside of that, everything is going to be internal. AKA-- what he can do. He can meet with his CC, discuss his position and find out what the options are. If he's had an annual committee recently, this would have been the best time. If he has one coming, prepare to bring it up then. Transfers are prioritized based on a lot of things--but namely level. So the first thing they'll look at is has his level changed? If not, they're not required to meet any other move request unless there is a safety concern. 270 is a privilege and one it sounds like he's earned. But there has to be a bed for him and he may have to press the issue. Hardship transfers are very rarely done and typically focus on assisting immediate family with poor health and limited resources to be able to visit their loved one by reducing distance. But if you can dig up a half dozen folks in CA who have seen them approved, I'd be shocked.

I've not heard of anyone being told how long they would be at a specific facility unless it was because of a level drop. Your best bet is to encourage him to gather up any paperwork he has to show his programming and entitlement to a 270 and press his counselor. Best of luck to you both!

Last edited by miamac; 06-13-2019 at 09:33 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-14-2019), sidewalker (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,967 Times in 7,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetiePB View Post
He said someone called family relations or resources and they helped him and he got transferred within 4 months.
Not sure how long you've been involved with CDCR, but inside the gates misinformation is rampant. Example? There's a guy who's been telling my husband for months that he knows what number he's at for parole hearing scheduling because his wife spoke with the scheduler. Guess how long we've been waiting to get the number for that scheduler? People like to talk, people often speak in general and vague terms creating a lot of confusion. It's very frustrating.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-14-2019), Patrickj (06-14-2019), sidewalker (06-14-2019)