Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Coming Home in Texas - Resources and Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home in Texas - Resources and Stories Information and resources to assist ex-offenders and families post-incarceration in Texas.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 PM

I've read through this thread and have a couple of questions due to conflicting information (probably related to the dates of the posts). I have a friend whose friend will be discharging soon--discharging, not on paper. He'll be released from Huntsville (Walls). His family will be driving several hours to pick him up, so it's important that they know when to be there and what to do once they are there.

1--I've consistently read that discharges are released first, but the time for that varies from 8:00 to 10:00. I know there's no way to give an exact time he'll walk out, but does anyone know when they actually start?

2--Where do they need to park, or will it be obvious? Will parking lots be full early?

3--Some people said they'll get a call the day before telling them what time he'll be released. Is this still current practice? If not, should his family call and ask?

4--Is it still appropriate to call 512-398-3480, 936-437-1549 or 936-437-1554 to get information?

5--Any additional information they need to know? His parents have no idea what to do and aren't computer literate, so they can't look up anything for help. We're just glad they are going to pick him up!

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by satx18; 07-19-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM

I can only tell you about my experience. I drove 5hrs to get there. Was afraid I was going to be late. I picked him up on a Tuesday, And it took until around 2pm, which I was told was not normal, and he didn't come out until 3ish. The road that runs in front if the unit is one way. Huntsville on the left, visitor center on the right. You will see lots if people standing there waiting. Next to that building is a Parking lot by a little grocery store. You can park there and wait. I had google map printed out and got there no problems.

When they release the guys they all come down the hill at a fast clip. Be watching.

As far as calling, not sure as I didn't. That said, I could see as soon as he was processed out on the inmate locator as I had it on my phone. Cannot answer most of your questions but that is how it happened for me. I would say get there earlier though. It was really busy and rainy the day I went. Hope it helps a bit!!
The Following User Says Thank You to babediz30 For This Useful Post:
satx18 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,063 Posts

My best friends husband was released from the Walls two months ago. Yes, she received a call the day before. She said they were verifying someone would be there to pick him up. She was told to arrive at 8am. I stayed with her children at her home, so we were in constant contact. He wasn't released until almost 2pm. He is on paper, not sure if that matters?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tx_Angel For This Useful Post:
satx18 (07-21-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:43 PM
Curryville

I pick my hubby up in 10 days and there are no words to describe the excitement and nervousness I'm feeling!!! I can not wait to leap into his arms!!!!
I need help with 2 questions PLZ!!!
1. If they have a warrant for a traffic violation will they still be released or will they be one of the ones who gets put in the back of a cop car by walker county????

2. Do u have to wait for them to get to u before u can jump in there arms or at what point can u start to walk towards them????

Thank u for any help!!! :-))

❤❤May the hopes and dreams of today,
Be the reality of tomorrow❤❤
The Following User Says Thank You to SummerC For This Useful Post:
jwil130 (12-13-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Curryville

Update to my post from above...........
Today I got the answer to my first question, they WILL NOT be arrested upon release for a traffic violation warrant!! The detainer dept. in TDCJ and Walker County Jail confirmed this for me today!!! The only people that are arrested by Walker County upon release are the ones who have detainer holds on them. NOW PLZ KEEP IN MIND that all courts are different & if the court the ticket is out of does place detainer holds on traffic violation warrants then yes, they will be arrested upon release.
For those wanting to know, Dallas does not place detainer holds on traffic violations!!!

If anybody has any info on my 2nd question it would be greatly appreciated!!!! I'm so excited and I can't wait to be in his arms!!!! :-)))

❤❤May the hopes and dreams of today,
Be the reality of tomorrow❤❤

Last edited by SummerC; 09-02-2014 at 05:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SummerC For This Useful Post:
Glitter1986 (09-02-2016)
Old 01-25-2015, 11:10 PM

I'm picking up my husband February 4. Any tips or advice?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM

This thread has loads of good info...but nothing current! I am hoping the majority of the "do and do nots" still hold true!!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Need updated information
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Donation Award 

All of this assumes that there is no detainer on your LO. If they have a detainer, they will be taken into custody by the appropriate authorities on release from TDCJ.

You will probably receive a call a day or so ahead of time to confirm that you are picking up your LO and to tell you when to arrive. If not, I would recommend arriving by 9:30 AM. There is a family waiting area across the street from the main entrance. You will go in there to sign in. There is a restroom inside the building and an ice cream machine. There are picnic tables outside where you can sit and wait or you can sit inside the building (a nice option if it is raining). They will let those who have discharged their sentences out first -- between about 9 AM and 9:30 AM. They are given a $100 check. They let the others out between about 10:30 and noon, depending on how many ankle monitors they have. They will be given a $50 check and will receive a second $50 check when they check in with Parole. Someone came out and spoke to the group of family members about 15 minutes before our LO's were released. The inmates who have discharged their sentences will come out of the front doors. The parolees will come from the side of the building furthest away and will walk down the sidewalk. When you see your LO, you need to pull them off the sidewalk into the grass so that your reunion won't impede the others from continuing down the sidewalk. If you want to bring a change of clothes for your LO, they will allow them to change in the bathroom inside the building. The bus station is a block away and your LO can cash his check there or at the Exxon Station for free. They can also sign up for a free cell phone at the bus station on the lower level. If your LO is on an ankle monitor, you will have to check in at the bus station and you will have a limited time to get home (they will give you plenty of time). You're not supposed to make any stops on the way home, but they will allow you to grab a sandwich at the Subway next to the Exxon Station or stop for gas. Your LO will have to check in with Parole the first thing the following morning (or the following Monday if released on a Friday).
The Following User Says Thank You to edjuko For This Useful Post:
Texasflower08 (02-19-2017)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:02 PM

So my husband is suppose to be released from Huntsville tomorrow but no one ever called to confirm anything? I'm freaking out a bit that something isn't going right. I haven't talked to him since he got transferred 2 weeks ago. Online it says he is at Hollisay unit. Could they move him in the morning?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Donation Award 

Sometimes they do move them the morning of release if the unit is close by (and Holliday is close to the Huntsville - Walls Unit). It could also be that he was transferred today or will be this evening and it will be updated in the morning.

When my nephew was released, they did not call me to confirm I was going to pick him up. They did when my son was released.

Good luck!!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM

Thanked 7,930 Times in 4,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablepeyton View Post
So my husband is suppose to be released from Huntsville tomorrow but no one ever called to confirm anything? I'm freaking out a bit that something isn't going right. I haven't talked to him since he got transferred 2 weeks ago. Online it says he is at Hollisay unit. Could they move him in the morning?
Without knowing more about the sentence in question or if there is unexpired State Jail time still owed, it is difficult to answer the question about release plan phone calls.

As to the general question about movement, it is not at all uncommon to see local movement be the day of the release...basically they come in the backgate and go to the bullpen without ever really being on the official count at the Walls.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjuko View Post
Sometimes they do move them the morning of release if the unit is close by (and Holliday is close to the Huntsville - Walls Unit). It could also be that he was transferred today or will be this evening and it will be updated in the morning.

When my nephew was released, they did not call me to confirm I was going to pick him up. They did when my son was released.

Good luck!!
Thank you so much for info. I've been here since 8am. Still waiting. These minutes are going by so slow!
Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 PM

My husband is being released on Tuesday but he is going to a halfway house. Will I still be able to pick him up and take him there or will he have to go by bus? I had planned on picking him up but I'm not really sure how it works if he is going to a halfway house.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseRaven View Post
My husband is being released on Tuesday but he is going to a halfway house. Will I still be able to pick him up and take him there or will he have to go by bus? I had planned on picking him up but I'm not really sure how it works if he is going to a halfway house.
Yes -- you can pick him up and take him to the halfway house. We picked up my nephew and took him to lunch and to buy some clothes and supplies he would need for the halfway house, then delivered him over there. If he is on an ankle monitor, you might have to go directly to the halfway house. They'll let you know what you need to do tomorrow.

Congratulations, by the way!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanked 7,930 Times in 4,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseRaven View Post
Make ABSOLUTELY sure that he is there and checked in prior to the designated time...I used to see MANY warrant requests from HWH staff on people who failed to report in a timely manner, and that is an automatic warrant issuance.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Does anyone have any updated on info from picking up from the walls?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Sundie

1 (512) 406-5202 Parole status line
They have all updates and release times. Go to the walls unit on the release date. Their is a building across from the front of the unit where you can wait and they information available that can be useful to your loved one upon release.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 PM

Thanks. Just wondering. He gets out in Sept