Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
The Truth

Default sending package through the mail

do they have to be at a faciltity for a certain amount of time before they are able to get a package throught the mail?

my man arrived at his new facility on 12/22. i sent a package to him that arrived at the facility on 12/28,which would make it the 6th day that he was there (i know it was rec'd by the facility b/c i sent it "delivery confirmation). i just got the package back today. all of the address information for my man and the prison was scribbled out and it was marked by the post office return to sender. none of the reasons as to why it was returned was checked off on the box.

i called the facility but they claim they don't know the reason and i'll have to speak to someone in guidance which won't have anyone there until monday. i'm trying to get through to someone in the package room, but
do you think he hasn't been there long enough to get a package by mail and they sent it back?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default is he in reception?

I was not able to send him a package directly from me for 6 months-If he is in reception, he will only be able to get packages from a vendor.If at Ulster, he can only get cigarettes from a vendor with the NY State tax stamp and only 2 cartons a month.

Feel lucky the package came back-they rarely do.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 PM
The Truth

Default thanks momma ann

he's not in reception and he's not at ulster. he's at his designated facility. just for clarification, did you mean that you were not able to send a package for 6 months to your son once he was out of reception and at his designated facility?

yes i am glad that i got it back--it was a 32 lb food package.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Did they even open the package? Did it have his id# on it?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default 6 months after he was in DOICS

custody. Now as long as he is not in a TV facility, I cannot imagine why it was sent back, as long as it was addressed correctly. You need to call them and get the 411.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 PM

in downstate you had to wait 31 days but they are usually out of reception by that time anyway. My boy just got moved so i dont know anything about auburn!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:32 PM

Ouch, MommaAnn! You have to clarify to new people that it's the inmate's CHOICE as to wether to return the package, donate it or destroy it! You're making it sound like we steal it or just plain throw it away!

The Friendly CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Ann
I was not able to send him a package directly from me for 6 months-If he is in reception, he will only be able to get packages from a vendor.If at Ulster, he can only get cigarettes from a vendor with the NY State tax stamp and only 2 cartons a month.

Feel lucky the package came back-they rarely do.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM
UNBREAKABLE
Donation Award 

Based on personal experience he does not have to be at Auburn a certain amount of time before being able to recieve a package. If it was addressed correctly and it had his correct name and DIN# he should have been able to receive it.

Are you certain that Auburn is his designated facility? I'm asking because frequently inmates are held over at Auburn while in transit to another facility. They could be at Auburn a few days to a week or more waiting for a bed to open up where they are going.

If you are sure that he's staying at Auburn, I would call tuesday morning. But be prepared that they will probably tell you that they don't know why it was returned.

I hope this helps and I hope that there wasn't anything perishable in the package.

Good luck