Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,477 Times in 13,309 Posts
Default Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt of court

Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt of court

The immigration policies that elevated former Sheriff Joe Arpaio to fame were the same that would ultimately lead to his political demise, and now have convicted him of a federal crime.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton found Arpaio guilty of criminal contempt of court, finding that he willfully violated a federal judge's order.

The sentencing phase will begin Oct. 5. Arpaio faces up to six months in confinement, a sentence equivalent to that of a misdemeanor.

Read entire article HERE
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017), choclgs (07-31-2017), Critter07 (07-31-2017), kykate (07-31-2017), miamac (07-31-2017), nimuay (08-01-2017), sass4221 (07-31-2017), xolady (08-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,941 Times in 6,787 Posts

Hmmm....I wonder how he would feel is he were subjected to the same conditions he forced inmates to endure.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017), GaReform (08-01-2017), patchouli (08-01-2017), sidewalker (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Thanked 1,030 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
Hmmm....I wonder how he would feel is he were subjected to the same conditions he forced inmates to endure.

That should be a condition of sentencing! Let's see how he likes being on the other side of the bars. I doubt it changes anything about his attitude except to make him even worse.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM
here

I'm not hiding my breath on him seeing any jail time, but I'm glad he was found guilty. The funny part is seeing all his supporters say he shouldn't serve any time, as if they never agreed with the hard line, "don't do the crime if you don't want the time" bs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM

It would be nice to see him locked up in his own jails, wouldn't it? However, I doubt he will end up doing time. And even if he did, I'm certain (because of his notoriety) that he would be in some sort of protective custody or house arrest for his safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Time well spent..

Yes, I agree with the above posters... it really sucks when you see the news that someone was actually "called out" / "caught up" in their unlawful ways and then realize that the best they will receive is a slap to the wrist.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM

I agree and it's worse when you hear him on the news saying in snarky tones like it's funny how he treated inmates "well at least I can rest easy knowing I'll have 3 good square meals a day if found guilty" bc his meals were crap and he only served 2 is what he is is joking about - what a jerk!!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM

What happened to mandatory minimums and truth in sentencing laws or is it only states that have those guidelines and not Federal laws?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanked 9,197 Times in 5,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas too View Post
What happened to mandatory minimums and truth in sentencing laws or is it only states that have those guidelines and not Federal laws?

State law is not relevant here. This was a federal case. Sentencing would be consistent with the federal guidelines, to include any applicable downward departures that might exist. That being said, not all States use mandatory minimums, with a trend being to get away from those since they remove discretion from both judge and jury.

As noted, he would not likely be housed in the general population but instead would be housed in some manner of protection, just as would most other high profile felons. Even where you see a high profile case (like OJ or Martha Stewart) that makes it to population, it is not an immediate placement.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 12,509 Times in 4,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
As noted, he would not likely be housed in the general population but instead would be housed in some manner of protection, just as would most other high profile felons.
Or, he could call on a favor from the POTUS.

I am seriously considering a pardon for Sheriff Arpaio, the president told Fox News Sunday at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. Arpaio has done a lot in the fight against illegal immigration. Hes a great American patriot and I hate to see what has happened to him.

Newsweek 8/15/17

Last edited by miamac; 08-15-2017 at 02:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Or, he could call on a favor from the POTUS.

I am seriously considering a pardon for Sheriff Arpaio, the president told Fox News Sunday at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. Arpaio has done a lot in the fight against illegal immigration. Hes a great American patriot and I hate to see what has happened to him.

Newsweek 8/15/17
Of all the people deserving a pardon, this isn't the guy to put at the top of the list. It just goes to show how Trump is rewarding those who go along with his plans. The sheriff is only sentenced to 6 months & probably could get a medical reason to serve it at home or somewhere else. How about a Trump resort? Whatever your politics are, this isn't the right thing to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-15-2017), miamac (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Thanked 9,197 Times in 5,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Of all the people deserving a pardon, this isn't the guy to put at the top of the list. It just goes to show how Trump is rewarding those who go along with his plans. The sheriff is only sentenced to 6 months & probably could get a medical reason to serve it at home or somewhere else. How about a Trump resort? Whatever your politics are, this isn't the right thing to do.
It isn't as though there is a lack of precedent for pardons almost as soon as any appellate process has run its course. And, not all pardons are complete walks, as we saw with Scooter Libby. I consider that commutation to have been far more egregious than anything that could occur with Arpaio...
Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
It isn't as though there is a lack of precedent for pardons almost as soon as any appellate process has run its course. And, not all pardons are complete walks, as we saw with Scooter Libby. I consider that commutation to have been far more egregious than anything that could occur with Arpaio...
I agree that there is a need & place for pardons but to have Sheriff Joe be the 1st one doesn't seem the best use of the pardon process. I would think in his case at age 85 with a sentence of 6 months to serve, a pardon would be basically a walk. I hope that if he is pardoned that he'll enjoy his blessing & life.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Even if he is not pardoned, Federal Judges are not very well known for throwing life long octogenarian cops into prison. He's going to walk no matter what (maybe a house arrest at the very worst).

I'm not an Arpaio fan at all, BTW.