Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,040 Times in 13,528 Posts
Default Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty/Update: Pardoned by POTUS

Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt of court

The immigration policies that elevated former Sheriff Joe Arpaio to fame were the same that would ultimately lead to his political demise, and now have convicted him of a federal crime.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton found Arpaio guilty of criminal contempt of court, finding that he willfully violated a federal judge's order.

The sentencing phase will begin Oct. 5. Arpaio faces up to six months in confinement, a sentence equivalent to that of a misdemeanor.

Read entire article HERE
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017), choclgs (07-31-2017), Critter07 (07-31-2017), kykate (07-31-2017), miamac (07-31-2017), nimuay (08-01-2017), sass4221 (07-31-2017), xolady (08-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,073 Times in 6,823 Posts

Hmmm....I wonder how he would feel is he were subjected to the same conditions he forced inmates to endure.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017), choclgs (08-25-2017), cornered (09-08-2017), GaReform (08-01-2017), patchouli (08-01-2017), sidewalker (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Thanked 1,172 Times in 481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
Hmmm....I wonder how he would feel is he were subjected to the same conditions he forced inmates to endure.

That should be a condition of sentencing! Let's see how he likes being on the other side of the bars. I doubt it changes anything about his attitude except to make him even worse.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM
here

I'm not hiding my breath on him seeing any jail time, but I'm glad he was found guilty. The funny part is seeing all his supporters say he shouldn't serve any time, as if they never agreed with the hard line, "don't do the crime if you don't want the time" bs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017), rnsgaig (08-26-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM

It would be nice to see him locked up in his own jails, wouldn't it? However, I doubt he will end up doing time. And even if he did, I'm certain (because of his notoriety) that he would be in some sort of protective custody or house arrest for his safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Time well spent..

Yes, I agree with the above posters... it really sucks when you see the news that someone was actually "called out" / "caught up" in their unlawful ways and then realize that the best they will receive is a slap to the wrist.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM

I agree and it's worse when you hear him on the news saying in snarky tones like it's funny how he treated inmates "well at least I can rest easy knowing I'll have 3 good square meals a day if found guilty" bc his meals were crap and he only served 2 is what he is is joking about - what a jerk!!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM

What happened to mandatory minimums and truth in sentencing laws or is it only states that have those guidelines and not Federal laws?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanked 9,641 Times in 5,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas too View Post
What happened to mandatory minimums and truth in sentencing laws or is it only states that have those guidelines and not Federal laws?

State law is not relevant here. This was a federal case. Sentencing would be consistent with the federal guidelines, to include any applicable downward departures that might exist. That being said, not all States use mandatory minimums, with a trend being to get away from those since they remove discretion from both judge and jury.

As noted, he would not likely be housed in the general population but instead would be housed in some manner of protection, just as would most other high profile felons. Even where you see a high profile case (like OJ or Martha Stewart) that makes it to population, it is not an immediate placement.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,387 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
As noted, he would not likely be housed in the general population but instead would be housed in some manner of protection, just as would most other high profile felons.
Or, he could call on a favor from the POTUS.

I am seriously considering a pardon for Sheriff Arpaio, the president told Fox News Sunday at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. Arpaio has done a lot in the fight against illegal immigration. Hes a great American patriot and I hate to see what has happened to him.

Newsweek 8/15/17

Last edited by miamac; 08-15-2017 at 02:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Or, he could call on a favor from the POTUS.

I am seriously considering a pardon for Sheriff Arpaio, the president told Fox News Sunday at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. Arpaio has done a lot in the fight against illegal immigration. Hes a great American patriot and I hate to see what has happened to him.

Newsweek 8/15/17
Of all the people deserving a pardon, this isn't the guy to put at the top of the list. It just goes to show how Trump is rewarding those who go along with his plans. The sheriff is only sentenced to 6 months & probably could get a medical reason to serve it at home or somewhere else. How about a Trump resort? Whatever your politics are, this isn't the right thing to do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-15-2017), miamac (08-15-2017), rnsgaig (08-26-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Of all the people deserving a pardon, this isn't the guy to put at the top of the list. It just goes to show how Trump is rewarding those who go along with his plans. The sheriff is only sentenced to 6 months & probably could get a medical reason to serve it at home or somewhere else. How about a Trump resort? Whatever your politics are, this isn't the right thing to do.
It isn't as though there is a lack of precedent for pardons almost as soon as any appellate process has run its course. And, not all pardons are complete walks, as we saw with Scooter Libby. I consider that commutation to have been far more egregious than anything that could occur with Arpaio...
Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
It isn't as though there is a lack of precedent for pardons almost as soon as any appellate process has run its course. And, not all pardons are complete walks, as we saw with Scooter Libby. I consider that commutation to have been far more egregious than anything that could occur with Arpaio...
I agree that there is a need & place for pardons but to have Sheriff Joe be the 1st one doesn't seem the best use of the pardon process. I would think in his case at age 85 with a sentence of 6 months to serve, a pardon would be basically a walk. I hope that if he is pardoned that he'll enjoy his blessing & life.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Even if he is not pardoned, Federal Judges are not very well known for throwing life long octogenarian cops into prison. He's going to walk no matter what (maybe a house arrest at the very worst).

I'm not an Arpaio fan at all, BTW.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,097 Posts
Default Pardoning of Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio

President Trump Pardons Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio

"President Trump has pardoned controversial former Sheriff Joe Arpaio for a misdemeanor criminal contempt conviction.

A statement issued by the White House Friday night said, "Today, President Donald J. Trump granted a Presidential pardon to Joe Arpaio, former Sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona."

Known as "America's Toughest Sheriff," Arpaio gained a reputation for his harsh his critics would say cruel treatment of immigrants in the country illegally."

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/25/545282...ntent=20170825
Old 08-25-2017, 07:59 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,101 Times in 12,927 Posts

yuck wads both of them.
sorry. I hate them both.
pardoned that asshat?
Should have got what he dished out.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
rnsgaig (08-26-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,097 Posts

I agree but I figured he would when he hinted that the pardon was coming. Arpaio deserves to serve everyday in prison for how he treated those under his custody and a pardon is far less deserving.
rnsgaig (08-26-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

I hope the public response ripples of this disgusting decision are deep. I'm not normally a Black Bloc/Antifa kinda girl but this is unacceptable. Whether he would spend an actual day in prison isn't the point. It's past time to question where the POTUS sits when it comes to racism and corruption. He openly supports it. I'm sickened by this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-25-2017), rnsgaig (08-26-2017), sidewalker (08-26-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 09:16 PM

Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,961 Posts

I honestly expected this but would love to see him have had to live in his prison tent city!!! He should have been treated like any other person who broke the law. People like him and other racists make me embarrassed to be a white american.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-25-2017), sidewalker (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:54 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,482 Times in 7,033 Posts

From a friend:

Quote:
So, I grew up in Maricopa County. In my first legal job, I worked as support staff for a plaintiffs' firm on cases where we sued Sheriff Joe Arpaio frequently for systemic and coordinated brutality toward prisoners. Some of the things I saw while working there were so horrific I wish I could unsee them. More often than not the targets of his wrath were low-level offenders, typically minorities, usually Latino men. I worked for civil attorneys. All they could do was exact justice for their clients--many of whom were already dead--in the form of money. Most of the time, the good taxpayers of Maricopa County would pay ungodly amounts for Sheriff Joe's penchant for inciting his deputies to violence. But Sheriff Joe was never punished by either law enforcement or the voters of Maricopa County, and he successfully campaigned on how terribly he treated the largely petty criminals who had the misfortune of ending up in his custody.

The fact that he arrested people and targeted them because of the way they looked always bothered me a little more than the idea of him *just* jailing people wrongly, because he took great pride in harming anyone who spent a single night in one of his jails, guilty or innocent. It really didn't matter to him. Oh, he misappropriated a hundred million dollars of taxpayer money, declared an open vendetta against half of the state court judges in Phoenix (which eventually got his ally, the County Attorney, disbarred), and was implicated in all manner of bribery and corruption. But a criminal was anyone who he decided to focus on, regardless of the facts. And his greatest accomplishment, by his own reckoning, was torturing people.

What a sad, soulless, horror of a human being. Only a serious bully with an antisocial personality disorder would even consider pardoning such a monster. And luckily for Sheriff Joe, that person is the president.

What a terrible day for America. How wretched for the rule of law, and for the idea of common decency. How awful for the notion of justice. I don't know that I believe in a heaven, or a hell, or any form of divine retribution, and I am typically of the opinion that retribution is never the answer. But Sheriff Joe is one of the few people who make me hope that there is some reckoning somewhere, because he is the very worst kind of person. And he gets to escape punishment. Again. Always.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-27-2017), miamac (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
From a friend:
I feel numb thinking about what this means (again, I don't care if he spends a night in prison because I do believe in an afterlife...). I've read that a pardon means an admittance of guilt and that he can be subject to civil litigation. But to what end? Who would be the plaintiffs? Does a pursuit make him a martyr to those who blindly support Trump?
Old 08-26-2017, 04:31 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,482 Times in 7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I feel numb thinking about what this means (again, I don't care if he spends a night in prison because I do believe in an afterlife...). I've read that a pardon means an admittance of guilt and that he can be subject to civil litigation. But to what end? Who would be the plaintiffs? Does a pursuit make him a martyr to those who blindly support Trump?
Dude is 85 years old - spending any time in jail or prison for a Contempt charge would do no good and open up the Feds to litigation, especially if the guy croaks as a result. Going through the booking process is enough, but then I was never abused by the man.

Ending your days of law enforcement as a convicted felon? This would be nice, but a pardon absolves the person of the crime. It's as if it never happened.

Hopefully he'll never be placed in charge of anybody again. Now whether AZ wants to keep paying his pension....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-27-2017), miamac (08-26-2017), sidewalker (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Ending your days of law enforcement as a convicted felon? This would be nice, but a pardon absolves the person of the crime. It's as if it never happened.

Hopefully he'll never be placed in charge of anybody again. Now whether AZ wants to keep paying his pension....
It's as if the conviction never happened, so like OJ, that's why people are talking about the possibility of civil litigation. I'm not saying I'm in favor because what good would it do? He already tried begging private donors for his legal fees for this one. The whole thing stinks.

There's the argument from some senators that Trump has unjustly applied a pardon. Does that have any chance of traction? Or is it a done deal?
Old 08-26-2017, 04:43 PM

It isn't the first time that a sitting POTUS has pardoned someone prior to sentence and conviction being finalized. Clinton actually had several that bypassed Justice and went straight to the White House that would NOT have passed muster had they come through proper channels.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
KarmaRocks (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,175 Times in 9,916 Posts

I heard a couple of attorneys talking this morning about the possibility that this is another nail to hammer into the impeachment coffin, but I couldn't listen long enough to know why exactly.

What a disgusting time for America!
miamac (08-26-2017)