Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,458 Times in 7,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Respectfully...While I will concede that my knowledge of Public Defenders offices outside of my area is narrow, and I will point out I specifically discussed Southern California area PDs while acknowledging that the same resources are probably not available elsewhere....I am not misinformed on the issue.

Also, if I understand Mario's case, he had a public defender and the public defender won a case involving an in-prison charge at trial, which is not an easy task even with a paid attorney.

Of course, the truth is that oftentimes a person with a lot of financial resources can afford to pay for not only a private attorney but for them to utilize more resources. So I will concede that someone who has the financial resources to pay for a better defense has a chance at a better outcome.

But to me that is more a general social issue than an issue of the Public Defender being bad.

I'll end my sidebar on the topic with this thought.....it is true that generally speaking a Public Defender has a larger caseload and, generally speaking, does not have the amount of resources that private attorneys have. In some jurisdictions PD roles are generally covered by private attorneys paid on a case-by-case basis who have cases assigned to them as the county does not want to fund a formal PD's office or lacks the resources to do so. But as I said....not all PD offices are created equal and there are some that are, in fact, quite good. I've seen it work.

-E
Meant for our new know it all who knows nothing, not you, dee

Hey, asshat, if you have financial resources, you are not eligible for the PD. Didn't anybody ever tell you that? The financial affidavit to qualify for the PD is readily available at every PD office there is, and in most courtrooms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2017), missingdee (08-08-2017), nimuay (08-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,127 Times in 9,898 Posts

The original question that began this thread has been answered by the courts - he was found not guilty.

Soooooo, any further sniping about the relative qualities of assorted lawyers is done and over and unnecessary.
fbopnomore (08-09-2017), missingdee (08-08-2017), sidewalker (08-09-2017)