Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 07-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,387 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoholicMom View Post
I can understand where theyre coning from, i think i was surprised at the write up consideration. That guy did have a tremendous amount of writes, but from prop 57, it states write up within the last year are what they are taking into consideration. Or at least I thought.

I was wondering when they went all the way through the entire criminal history, if they were looking for serious felonies? Like my husband for instance had a possession of sale charge, but now since prop 47 has passed which makes it a misdemeanor for his particular charge, would they consider that.
A write-up in the last year will get you screened out. You won't even see your file go to board. All parole hearings look at recent conduct and conduct over the course of your bid. Doesn't matter if you're a VO, NVO, short-timer, long bid, clean as a whistle on every level. They look at the whole bid for conduct. And, here's something maybe some people aren't aware of-- there are things called confidential reports. These work against you, as well. CRs are reports made by staff any time an inmate's name comes up or the staff have reason to suspect anything. And I mean anything. The contents of those CRs is not made available to the inmate but can be brought up in a parole hearing. As for the NVO process, I would think it's safe to assume those are a consideration, as well. Something of a blindside as you can imagine.

When looking at criminal history, they look at all of it. Misdemeanors up. They're looking for patterns of behaviour and not necessarily the seriousness of the crime. I know a guy who recently went up for parole after 30-something years and he was questioned on petty charges from before this bid. 30-something years ago. He was denied because they felt his progression in criminal acts showed him to be a continuing threat.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
jilkenma (07-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
One year without a write-up does not guarantee release.

Parole reviews the entire record.

Also if a SHU term was served in the last 5 years (no mention of one here but putting this out there) that is also a disqualified.

If you meet all qualifiers, that still does not guarantee release.

And why would DA/Victim consideration be surprising? These are potential factors in all parole hearings.

Again, as to the strike doubled time issue....my understanding is that this is still a topic of debate and may not be finalized without the issue being determined by the courts. Otherwise why have a 3 strikes law?
I wasn't surprised by the d.a or victim responding, i was surprised the entire criminal history is taken into account, as well as the entire behavior while incarcerated, only for the inmates who have been in prison for Some Time. (10 years or more)

As for the doubling of time, i spoke with records analyst ( and would suggest some call themselves) and was informed the time considered for prop 57 is the primary sentence. That is the base term without any enhancements or alternative to their sentencing. 3 strikes law is seperate from this issue, a person can recieve 3 strikes without having enhancements.

But every individual case is different, my husband recieved his qualifying letter for prop 57, so we're hoping for the best and I'll update. We have our supporting documents as well as letters from employers willing to hire, which helps

Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 PM

My sister and I visited our LO this weekend and he showed us the 2nd letter he received that suggested the inmates can write a letter telling them why they don't pose a violent threat and why they should be released. The letter also says that the inmate does not have to write a letter if he/she doesn't want to. They will make a decision with or w/out. The thing that we thought was a little conflicting is that the letter said our LO will receive a decision 40 days from the date of the letter - which was 7/1/17. However, because he's at a fire camp he didn't receive the letter until last Thursday - which was 7/27. We kind of laughed because that doesn't give him a lot of time to write, send a letter and get it on the decision maker's desk by 8/9 which would be the 40th day - if you will. He's gonna write it nonetheless. His NPRD date was 10/11. The other thing was the counselor had him sign and date the letter. So my LO asked him which date starts the clock - the counselor answered today's(7/27) date. However, the body of the letter suggests the date of the letter. It sounds like the process is 40 days to get an answer, but 100 days for the whole process if approved. I'm hopeful for him and our family. As a matter of fact I'm hopeful for everyone.

Last edited by jilkenma; 07-30-2017 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilkenma View Post
So my LO asked him which date starts the clock - the counselor answered today's(7/27) date. However, the body of the letter suggests the date of the letter. It sounds like the process is 40 days to get an answer, but 100 days for the whole process if approved. I'm hopeful for him and our family. As a matter of fact I'm hopeful for everyone.
I would bet money it's 40 days from the date of the letter. There's no way they're adjusting everyone's window for when they actually got the notice.

Glad to hear he's still sending his letter in. It's important. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes!
jilkenma (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 PM

I agree with you. If they adjusted everyone's window it would be chaotic and the pile would grow - counterproductive to what they're trying to do by a certain time. That's interesting that they gave him a decision so soon.

Thank you Mia. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I would bet money it's 40 days from the date of the letter. There's no way they're adjusting everyone's window for when they actually got the notice.

Glad to hear he's still sending his letter in. It's important. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes!
The Following User Says Thank You to jilkenma For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-30-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 AM
MiSsiNgHIM.

Quote:
I don't think it's specific to his VO status. There are many VOs who have their updated sheet at this point. My guess, as missingdee said, it's just a matter of his facility/yard/counselor not being on the ball with the info. They're not going too giving much info on 57 because they don't know it themselves. He can try to talk to his counselor and ask when they might expect their updated sheets, but it might not get him any result.

The next step would be to write to Sac, but again...as was pointed out, that's one office getting slammed with these types of inquiries. Might not be that efficient of a route.

Just a reminder that we are still working on a temporary prop. It's not likely to change at the time of adoption, but the deal isn't fully sealed. We've got a little stretch to go. I would say if you're loved one hasn't been updated within 4-6 months (we're at 90 days right now), then press for more answers.
Same issue I'm having my man got a Letter as well. But his counselor is not helping him out, not answering any questions he has.

I want to write CDCR if anybody knows the email or somehow get help for my man. I know they must be slammed due to a lot of people getting these Letters.

My man has about 9 months left is NOT a violent offender, level II, Works, and is in S.A.P for milestones, No write ups.

Anybody have any Info please help me out. Who can I talk to ? How can I advocate for my man being outside the walls ?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemysqueezy View Post
Same issue I'm having my man got a Letter as well. But his counselor is not helping him out, not answering any questions he has.

I want to write CDCR if anybody knows the email or somehow get help for my man. I know they must be slammed due to a lot of people getting these Letters.

My man has about 9 months left is NOT a violent offender, level II, Works, and is in S.A.P for milestones, No write ups.

Anybody have any Info please help me out. Who can I talk to ? How can I advocate for my man being outside the walls ?

SAP milestones will be applied as he completes them.

Part of the point of 57 is that they have to be able to act for and advocate for themselves.

I get that everyone wants their loved one home. I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the proposition in the process. And then there's this reality....the benefits to shorter-term'd offenders is minimal at best.

If he has 9 months left and you can get a few weeks off that time, that's about the best-case scenario you can hope for, really.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Alright, I still have to do some due diligence on what Prop 57 is about and there's A LOT of pages here. I wanted to ask quickly though if any of this could apply to a 3-strikes-out lifer?

I have a close friend who was in one of the first batch to go down for that in the early 90s. It's coming on 25 yrs (it's 25 to life sentence) so they'll now be figuring out what to do with them. note: his *crimes* include violence, but his good behavior in prison is exemplary. Would any of this apply to him?

Last edited by TawnyStar; 07-31-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyStar View Post
Alright, I still have to do some due diligence on what Prop 57 is about and there's A LOT of pages here. I wanted to ask quickly though if any of this could apply to a 3-strikes-out lifer?

I have a close friend who was in one of the first batch to go down for that in the early 90s. It's coming on 25 yrs (it's 25 to life sentence) so they'll now be figuring out what to do with them. note: his *crimes* include violence, but his good behavior in prison is exemplary. Would any of this apply to him?
There's been sort of a mixed "well...maybe" response to that one. However. If he is coming up on 25 years and has had exemplary behavior then Prop 57 shouldn't be necessary for his release...California has been letting a lot of 25-to-lifers out in recent years. I can say that if his release is scheduled for the next 6-12 months assuming he gets parole, then it almost definitely will not apply to him (or might apply very minimally) since it's really not geared toward folks who have a short time to go before a parole hearing.

A couple other people are a bit better-versed on if/how it's applied to third strikers. They should be along.

Also, not directly related but still relevant....how old was he when he picked up that third strike?
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
However. If he is coming up on 25 years and has had exemplary behavior then Prop 57 shouldn't be necessary for his release...California has been letting a lot of 25-to-lifers out in recent years.
This would be my response, as well. If he's entering his 25th year he is entering his parole hearing eligibility year. So in that regard, he's already where he wants to be. 57 won't be advancing that.

What 57 might do for him is in regard to documented rehabilitative efforts via milestones. The board is hammering that aspect now. So if he hasn't been making full use of available programs, it's time to start.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Also, not directly related but still relevant....how old was he when he picked up that third strike?
He was 19 and his strikes were ridiculously overrated. It's a sad situation as he fell through the cracks. He's one person I have to honestly say does not belong there. So I'm eager for him to return to us in society!

Thanks for some info guys! I'm going to start discussing this with him and see what he knows about this. He believes and looks forward that he will someday be getting out but I hadn't heard they were already releasing 3-strikers out. He seems to think it's a new thing CA is being faced with, since he's one of the first batches to be making the 25 yr mark.

These long sentences are ridiculous!!
The Following User Says Thank You to TawnyStar For This Useful Post:
LuvBugBlacky (08-11-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
He was 19 and his strikes were ridiculously overrated.
There are some things that could disqualify him (namely offenses after the age of 23 while incarcerated) but has he verified his SB261 eligibility?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
There are some things that could disqualify him (namely offenses after the age of 23 while incarcerated) but has he verified his SB261 eligibility?
I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him about eligibility. I know his first few years were hard as he didn't fit into prison so well. But I've never heard of him getting new offenses (although I guess it's possible he doesn't tell me everything). I think he mostly just works and stays to himself. He is in a minimum security prison.

I guess my goal should be to find out what he knows and then try to research and give him extra info IF its applicable and he wants it.
miamac (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
I guess my goal should be to find out what he knows and then try to research and give him extra info IF its applicable and he wants it.
Ask him if he knows if he is SB261 eligible. If he doesn't know, I can help you determine if he qualifies. If he knows but wants information, I can get you hooked up with those resources. My husband qualifies so I'm neck-deep with those documents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Tatiana23 (08-01-2017), TawnyStar (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 AM
MiSsiNgHIM.

Quote:
SAP milestones will be applied as he completes them.

Part of the point of 57 is that they have to be able to act for and advocate for themselves.

I get that everyone wants their loved one home. I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the proposition in the process. And then there's this reality....the benefits to shorter-term'd offenders is minimal at best.

If he has 9 months left and you can get a few weeks off that time, that's about the best-case scenario you can hope for, really.
Thank you so much for response.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilovemysqueezy For This Useful Post:
missingdee (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Ask him if he knows if he is SB261 eligible. If he doesn't know, I can help you determine if he qualifies. If he knows but wants information, I can get you hooked up with those resources. My husband qualifies so I'm neck-deep with those documents.
Thank you so much! I also have a penpal in the state of CA midway through a 42 year sentence, so I might find out if he'd like a bit-o-info too. He's on level 4 though and I have no idea what his history is. I feel compassionate and want people to have info/chances, but am more compelled to actively advocate for a close personal friend (I knew my 3-strikes friend beforehand and is kinda like "family" as my sister and friends write him too).

*fingers crossed*

I hope this gets your man out!! Thanks for gathering info.
miamac (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 AM
MiSsiNgHIM.

Quote:
Thank you so much! I also have a penpal in the state of CA midway through a 42 year sentence, so I might find out if he'd like a bit-o-info too. He's on level 4 though and I have no idea what his history is. I feel compassionate and want people to have info/chances, but am more compelled to actively advocate for a close personal friend (I knew my 3-strikes friend beforehand and is kinda like "family" as my sister and friends write him too).

*fingers crossed*

I hope this gets your man out!! Thanks for gathering info.
What is SB261 ?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemysqueezy View Post
What is SB261 ?
SB261 outlines parole standards for people who committed their crime prior to the age of 23. It's unrelated to Prop 57 but you can read a short description here.
ilovemysqueezy (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM
MiSsiNgHIM.

Quote:
SB261 outlines parole standards for people who committed their crime prior to the age of 23. It's unrelated to Prop 57 but you can read a short description here.
Thank you miamac ☺
The Following User Says Thank You to ilovemysqueezy For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 PM

CARES FOR YOUTH CALL TONIGHT(8/1) @8pm PST.

Guest Speaker is Taina Vargas-Edmond from Initiate Justice.

313882 access code

They said they need 300 people on the call to get Proposition 57 regulations done right.

This is an article published in The Sacramento Bee newspaper that she co-authored regarding allowing non violent third strikers to be candidates for parole.

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/...164649312.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jilkenma For This Useful Post:
KobeDeuce (08-05-2017), miamac (08-01-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:23 AM
No Matter what

Has any ones LO gotten their credits for GED that were supposed to be implemented on 8/1/17? My hubby went in to see his counselor and he still has not seen any changes or credits.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezsela80 View Post
Has any ones LO gotten their credits for GED that were supposed to be implemented on 8/1/17? My hubby went in to see his counselor and he still has not seen any changes or credits.

It can take a few weeks to update the record. Patience is encouraged.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
kz_cali (09-08-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Just a reminder to write your letters and use your voice to affect the change you want to see under Prop 57. Deadline is Sept 1!

See details and suggestions for writing your letter here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Bee143 (08-11-2017), KobeDeuce (08-23-2017), missingdee (08-11-2017), Patrickj (08-11-2017), slimcuty (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 AM

My boyfriend got his ged his first term in prison. He went back 4 months ago on this new term and has 3 more months Will he get time off his sentence for the ged milestone?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleysmamma View Post
My boyfriend got his ged his first term in prison. He went back 4 months ago on this new term and has 3 more months Will he get time off his sentence for the ged milestone?
I believe it has to be during their current term of incarceration. I haven't read anything that addressed previous terms for credit purpose.