Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM

Default 2 points reduction for Federal inmates / New Law or Bill?

Hello all. I was told by my husband that news are running through prison that inmates will receive a 2 point reduction from their original sentence. I did my research through internet but couldn't find anything. Any information to share about this. He said that it will be retroactive.
Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to yg1971 For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (08-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 PM

That sounds like old news. There were changes to the sentencing guidelines several years ago that led to reductions but a global reduction, especially under this administration would surprise me.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Don't try, DO!

Not true.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 AM

I was sentenced a couple months ago and received a 2 point reduction....I was charged with conspiracy to distribute but I think it has to do with drug offenders
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksofe01 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (10-20-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksofe01 View Post
I was sentenced a couple months ago and received a 2 point reduction....I was charged with conspiracy to distribute but I think it has to do with drug offenders
I have heard reports also (on FAMM, maybe) about 2 point reduction laws. Does anyone know if this would apply to drug offenses only? Or, perhaps, for all non-violent offenders as well?

I, also, don't see anything happening under this administration. It's such a shame, as I've said before, that lawmakers bow to pressure...instead of doing what's right (and fair)! I have decided to start voting on these issues!
We can't complain if we keep electing the same "career" politicians! Those who only tow the party line! Where are the lawmakers who say "to hell with what's politically expedient? I'm going to do what is right!"
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
I have decided to start voting on these issues!
We can't complain if we keep electing the same "career" politicians! Those who only tow the party line! Where are the lawmakers who say "to hell with what's politically expedient? I'm going to do what is right!"
I think one of the problems might be that some felons don't know that they can still vote in most states. There is a stigma and rumor that permeates the belief that you lose your voting rights after becoming a felon. It's hard enough convincing "regular" voters to vote, it's another if a group believes it's impossible.

The other issue is many people don't know how to get attention from their elected representatives. If district offices started getting pestered by groups of organized voters, or they constantly showed up at all of an elected official's events, that would nudge the legislator in the right direction. If you're visible and they know you are actively organizing in their community they will be afraid that your voting power might cost them their job.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Are you thinking of this one?

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/f...140724_FAQ.pdf

It was a 2014 reform that took two points off but if I understand right you had to apply for retroactive relief, it wasn't automatic.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Are you thinking of this one?

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/f...140724_FAQ.pdf

It was a 2014 reform that took two points off but if I understand right you had to apply for retroactive relief, it wasn't automatic.
And, as I read it, this only applies to drug offenses, correct? I have not been able to find anything else that might apply to inmates convicted of other non-violent crimes.
His_Queen13 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 PM

That's what I am aware of. My husband is currently serving a RICO sentence and has received mail from his attorney that his case is eligible to be reviewed for a reduction.
The Following User Says Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
That's what I am aware of. My husband is currently serving a RICO sentence and has received mail from his attorney that his case is eligible to be reviewed for a reduction.
Hmmm... Please keep us informed on how things go for him!
Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 AM

I sure will. He has quite some time left, so he's definitely not at the top of the list.