Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 05-27-2020, 01:14 PM

Question Sending Jewelry to IDOC

Hello, everyone, I am new to this website, and I wanted to ask if anyone would know about sending jewelry to an inmate at Illinois Department of Corrections. My friend is in Illinois River Correctional Center.
I'm just confused because my friend told me that the chain has to be a specific size and weight with a religious pendant that has similar standards.
So, when I called the facility, the mail room staff said no such thing. They said it just has to be less than $40 and the pendant has to be approved by the Chaplain.
I honestly just want to send him a chain with no religious symbol, but I was hoping that maybe someone could help me to understand What exactly is okay to send.
Can I send them straight from Amazon? Do I have to buy one on my own?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,536 Times in 16,282 Posts

I tried looking up what can and cannot be sent.
In my state people can order things from an approved vendor. Some of the vendors have jewelry that you can send and all have a religious medallion on them.
Im not familiar with IL doc rules/regs.......but if they told you it needs a medallion or pendant, then it needs it.
The vendors know what they can and cannot send, so I dont know what to tell ya.
Hopefully someone who has gone thru this will come along and fill you in

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Binkybitz (06-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:11 PM

Thanked 1,209 Times in 549 Posts

I'm in IL but my LO hasn't requested jewelry. You might want to look thru the Illinois forum though because I do remember seeing some info on there about jewelry. Best wishes
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
Binkybitz (06-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:51 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkybitz View Post
Hello, everyone, I am new to this website, and I wanted to ask if anyone would know about sending jewelry to an inmate at Illinois Department of Corrections. My friend is in Illinois River Correctional Center.
I'm just confused because my friend told me that the chain has to be a specific size and weight with a religious pendant that has similar standards.
So, when I called the facility, the mail room staff said no such thing. They said it just has to be less than $40 and the pendant has to be approved by the Chaplain.
I honestly just want to send him a chain with no religious symbol, but I was hoping that maybe someone could help me to understand What exactly is okay to send.
Can I send them straight from Amazon? Do I have to buy one on my own?

Thank you!

The chain can’t be longer than 28” and if you send a medallion it can’t be larger than 2” including the loop to attach to the chain. It’s supposed to be valued at less than $50 total but most of the guys want their chains from home so people make their own receipts. You can direct from amazon yes, as long as you do g select “gift receipt” so they can see it’s less than $50. Medallion not required. Takes about three weeks to finally get to him after received at facility. Goes to mail room, then property and if a medallion is on there (only plain gold or silver-no two tone-no elevated parts) then goes to the chaplain.

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
Binkybitz (06-29-2020), sidewalker (05-29-2020)