Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Vickki1000

Cool Son newly sentenced

Greetings, my son is newly incarcerated. I am looking for some practical cooking and nutritional articles or books to help him learn how to get the most out his meals health wise. I am also looking for information on how to cope for myself and info for my son to process the fact he is sitting in prison a very long time as a innocent man. I would like to know the most helpful books to help him navigate his way around the system. Any tips are appreciated.
Gratitude, Momma V
The Following User Says Thank You to Vickki1000 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,988 Times in 6,341 Posts

Welcome. I am sorry your son is incarcerated. I am glad you are seeking supportive help! I am also confused about your request for cooking books etc. As far as I know, your son will only be eating food that the prison serves. Some inmates do make up recipes that incorporate junk food and other items sold through the commissary only.

I do know that my state gives all inmates a prison handbook upon arrival so they know what to expect. You need to look into your son's own prison to see what they allow to be sent to the inmate and how to send it.

There is a forum on the site for your state. It's not real busy but maybe you can ask some questions there as well:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Last edited by jancy; 05-01-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Vickki1000

Greetings Jancy,
Thanks for the reply. There are some recipe books for making stuff up from the commissary as you said. I am looking for one that helps highlight nutrition and how to pull the most protein Vit/minerals our of what is available from the commissary. The Benefits of keeping hydrated, tricks to know what to look for to stay healthy, stuff like that. So he can be aware to keep physically heathy so can stay physically & spiritually healthy. Cook book wasn't the best wording. Right now he is eating cafeteria as he just entered. I just found the commissary list and see nutrition values are stated. I see a exercise book using what's available in your cell on Amazon. Thanks so much for well wishes
Old 05-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

Hi, Vicki. Are you familiar with Michael Santos? If not, Google his name. Mr. Santos spent about 25 years in federal prison. A fitness and health fanatic, he wrote often about the diet and exercise regimen that he followed while in prison. Mr. Santos was also able to accomplish some amazing things while in prison (e.g., earn college degrees, write several books that were published, make hundreds of thousands of dollars through investments he controlled). Take a look at Mr. Santos' writings. I'm sure you will find something that will prove useful to both you and your son. I will say a little prayer for you and your boy. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Vickki1000

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
Hi, Vicki. Are you familiar with Michael Santos? If not, Google his name. Mr. Santos spent about 25 years in federal prison. A fitness and health fanatic, he wrote often about the diet and exercise regimen that he followed while in prison. Mr. Santos was also able to accomplish some amazing things while in prison (e.g., earn college degrees, write several books that were published, make hundreds of thousands of dollars through investments he controlled). Take a look at Mr. Santos' writings. I'm sure you will find something that will prove useful to both you and your son. I will say a little prayer for you and your boy. Good luck.
Thank you so much for the info! Mr. Santos's is exactly what I looking for some guidance in this situation. I am trying my best to support him to keep healthy and learn a skill or get a degree or something positive out of this horrid situation. We both say if he was guilty, do your time and still make the best of it. But, the corruption of the system, false evidence that even implicated me his mother and a Christian is simply insane. Forced pleas that happen to people in this system Unbelievable! We trusted a honest trial, we were sheep lead to the slaughter. Sorry, trying to process this right now didn't mean to rant. Thank you again for taking time to share info to help. Gratitude, Momma V
The Following User Says Thank You to Vickki1000 For This Useful Post:
Jelly_Belly (05-01-2017)