Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Legal News & Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Legal News & Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of Texas.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 PM

Default SAFP: Can the county Judge overrule what MTC says?

Hi,

I'm new here and I am new to SAFP and everything involved. My husband is at the Sayle Unit in Breckenridge, Texas. He is on his 3rd week there. I was told today that it is up to MTC on whether or not my husband will go to a halfway house when is 6 months is up or if he will be released to go home and straight to work. My question is, can the county judge over rule what MTC says? Can the county judge say they have to go to a halfway house once they complete the SAFP program?

I know when he was still in county and met with the SAFP Coordinator, that he was told he will go to 1 of 2 SAFP Units. Then after completion he would go to a halfway house for 60 days. Is that just standard information that the coordinators tell the inmates?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 PM

This is from TDCJs website about their Substance Abuse programs. I would post the link, but the forum says I havent made enough posts to be able to post links here. Anyways, this talks about how you can opt out of the halfway house if you meet specific criteria:
* Both the SAFP and IPTC programs now offer an alternative to the three months of residential aftercare in the TTC. Offenders who meet very strict eligibility criteria may be released as a 1B/4C (parole and probation, respectively), in which the offender may go to an approved home plan, where they live at home and report to a contracted facility for the same number of treatment hours as received by the residential offender who lives at a TTC. Once completed, the offender moves to the next phase of care, as will the residential offender.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Green Eyed Monster

Hello, Agill.

My husband is currently in the SAFP program at the Johnston Unit in Winnsboro. The following information is what I was given by one of the counselors at the family education classes I have been attending. She said that the recommendation is made at the facility but the PO has input and the final decision is made in Huntsville. I do not think the county judge has any input on how they release.

Another tidbit she shared with me is that if they go home 1B or 4C (my husband would be 4C since he will be on probation) the requirements they have to follow are much more stringent then it would be if they did release to the halfway house.

Welcome to the SAFP club and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Hopefully I can help.