Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Has anyone heard of Brent Welke?

Hello PTO!

I just got a letter from my love the other day telling me that an attorney by the name of Brent Welke sent him some info and that he heard that he didn't charge much and he was pretty good with PCRs. Now most lawyers that I've spoken with want close to ten grand when processing a PCR. I wanted to know if anyone has heard of him or done any business with him and if so could you shed some light for me. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for but you never know in situations like this. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Happy Halloween!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
..xoxo..

I havent heard of him..where exactly in IN is he?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 PM

well when I looked him up it gave me an address in English, IN but he also has a P.O. box in Indianapolis...I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with him

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Default Cheap PCR lawyer

I can tell you by reading his newsletter that he is very careful to allow non-lawyers who work in his office to engage in criticisms of lawyers which would result in any lawyer being sanctioned.
He sends a newsletter to prisons, and many of the unsolicited letters of those nature are generally people who want to feed off of false hope. The Indiana State Public defender is actually really good. Those lawyers are in those jobs because they are dedicated to the work. The have thousands of hours of experience and are not allowed any sort of outside practice. I no longer do PCR work. I am a trial attorney. A proper PCR requires the lawyer to first receive a transcript, then read the entire thing to try and find any constitutional flaw in the proceeding. Generally, the only flaw in a case that can result in reversible error by the time the case is in PCR is ineffective assistance of counsel. In order to do that, your lawyer has to know the trial rules, the evidence rules, has to read the transcript, has to reinterview witnesses, and sometimes conduct an entire investigation.
There is simply no way that a cheap lawyer can do a proper job. Start looking in the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers member directory, then see if the person has been disciplined or disbarred for any reason, then google the case that their discipline was a result of. Call ten or fifteen people in the criminal law section of the local yellow pages, google them, and talk to them. If they say everything you want to hear, hang up and move on as they just need the money.

I have been a part time public defender off and on for the past 15 years. The three reasons I do it is to try cases, for the benefits, and because this business should never be only about money. If people are quoting 10k, it might be that the case is really long. A four day trial will produce a 9 volume transcript, and to read that carefully, and prepare, and subpeona witnesses, and have a hearing, might easily take over 100 hours.

As for Mr. Wilke, I've been practicing nothing but criminal law for 13 years. My spouse is a Judge, my sister in law is a PCR lawyer at the public defender agency, my brother in law is a criminal defense lawyer, and my father in law is a criminal defense lawyer. I teach criminal trial skills at legal seminars across the state, and have provided demonstrations for the law school legal clinic. If someone is a criminal lawyer of any skill, i should have heard of them.
I, nor anyone I know has ever heard of this guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to indesq For This Useful Post:
∴CHERRY*BOMB∴ (03-18-2017)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Wow thanks soo much for that information. I was starting to get a little bit leary of the situation just because I can't find anything on this guy other than that website with the newsletter. I've spoken with several lawyers and a couple of them have all said the same thing but I am going to continue to look around for someone. Thank you so much for that informative post.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indesq View Post
I can tell you by reading his newsletter that he is very careful to allow non-lawyers who work in his office to engage in criticisms of lawyers which would result in any lawyer being sanctioned.
He sends a newsletter to prisons, and many of the unsolicited letters of those nature are generally people who want to feed off of false hope. The Indiana State Public defender is actually really good. Those lawyers are in those jobs because they are dedicated to the work. The have thousands of hours of experience and are not allowed any sort of outside practice. I no longer do PCR work. I am a trial attorney. A proper PCR requires the lawyer to first receive a transcript, then read the entire thing to try and find any constitutional flaw in the proceeding. Generally, the only flaw in a case that can result in reversible error by the time the case is in PCR is ineffective assistance of counsel. In order to do that, your lawyer has to know the trial rules, the evidence rules, has to read the transcript, has to reinterview witnesses, and sometimes conduct an entire investigation.
There is simply no way that a cheap lawyer can do a proper job. Start looking in the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers member directory, then see if the person has been disciplined or disbarred for any reason, then google the case that their discipline was a result of. Call ten or fifteen people in the criminal law section of the local yellow pages, google them, and talk to them. If they say everything you want to hear, hang up and move on as they just need the money.

I have been a part time public defender off and on for the past 15 years. The three reasons I do it is to try cases, for the benefits, and because this business should never be only about money. If people are quoting 10k, it might be that the case is really long. A four day trial will produce a 9 volume transcript, and to read that carefully, and prepare, and subpeona witnesses, and have a hearing, might easily take over 100 hours.

As for Mr. Wilke, I've been practicing nothing but criminal law for 13 years. My spouse is a Judge, my sister in law is a PCR lawyer at the public defender agency, my brother in law is a criminal defense lawyer, and my father in law is a criminal defense lawyer. I teach criminal trial skills at legal seminars across the state, and have provided demonstrations for the law school legal clinic. If someone is a criminal lawyer of any skill, i should have heard of them.
I, nor anyone I know has ever heard of this guy.
I am the paralegal that this individual is speaking about. I retain a strong working relationship with the Office of the Indiana Public Defender, many are friends of mine, and I quite often share information with several of the attorneys in that office. I recently contacted them and inquired if anyone knew the Fool that posted the above, and quite needless to state nobody does. Apparently, this particular posting was posted with malice intent towards the Welke Law Firm. I would encourage the reader to contact us directly before taking this posting as the gospel, when in fact in is little more than a work of fiction.

Joseph G. Everroad, B.S.L., J.D.
Certified Criminal Law Paralegal
The Welke Law Firm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #1 Paralegal For This Useful Post:
angjomy (05-19-2011), Smitten157 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,825 Times in 1,600 Posts

This thread has been restored.

While we feel everyone should be able to respond to any public accusations made against them, please be sure it is done without threats - legal or otherwise. Any threats of legal action against this site or its members will be met with instant bans to the person or parties who make them. This is absolutely our legal right and we will exercise it.

I always caution anyone looking for legal aid of any type to do their due diligence and research, research, research.. That would include doing what "#1 Paralegal" requested and contact them direct and discuss options, and any accusations that might have been made publicly on the internet..
patchouli (03-25-2011), Snowwolf (03-25-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Default Response from #1 Paralegal of the the Welke Law Firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
This thread has been restored.

While we feel everyone should be able to respond to any public accusations made against them, please be sure it is done without threats - legal or otherwise. Any threats of legal action against this site or its members will be met with instant bans to the person or parties who make them. This is absolutely our legal right and we will exercise it.

I always caution anyone looking for legal aid of any type to do their due diligence and research, research, research.. That would include doing what "#1 Paralegal" requested and contact them direct and discuss options, and any accusations that might have been made publicly on the internet..
What is tragic is that we will never know how many good, very hard working, people have been turned away from receiving quality legal assistance due to this malicious posting. Maybe Prison Talk should take better care before permitting such postings? Especially so, if they are truly seeking to assist the incarcerated and their families? I can think of no better way to assist them than to see that they finally have a law firm that they can turn too, which had been formed with them in mind from its very inception?

Joseph G. Everroad, B.S.L., J.D.
The Welke Law Firm
The Following User Says Thank You to #1 Paralegal For This Useful Post:
Smitten157 (03-26-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Default welke law firm

ive seen some stuff on here askin bout this brent welke guy. i personally know nothing about brent welke, but i do know some about his paralegal, josepg g. everroad. you can look up mr. everroad on google and find numerous results, one of which is on LinkedIn. " I am the only true certified criminal law paralegal in the State of Indiana that holds both a B.S.L. & J.D. I have authored numerous precedent state & federal appellate court decisions. I have also formatted numerous successful state & federal trial successes", that is from his profile on LinkedIn. here is more for you.
Joseph Everroad's Education

Ball State University

A.A., Anthropology

2005 – 2007

Northwestern California School of Law

B.S.L. & J.D.

1994 – 1996

Activities and Societies: Graduated Summa cum laude - #1 in Class

University of California, Davis

B.A., Political Science

1992 – 1994

Activities and Societies: Graduated Summa cum laude

Grace College and Seminary

A.A., Biblical Theology

1990 – 1992

Joseph Everroad's Additional Information

Websites:
Groups and Associations:National Lawyers Guild Indiana Bar Association - Paralegal Section Honors and Awards:1994 & 1996 - Paralegal of the Year
United States Paralegal Association

Authored over 30 reported State & Federal Appellate Court successes
so in my personal opinion the paralegal knows more than plenty about what hes doin. ive had numerous court cases ranging from misdemeanor driving offenses to b felony armed robbery, and currently going thru a burglary case i was set up on, and have talked with mr. everroad from welke law firm and have gained some very useful insight. i dont know who the guy trash talkin the welke law firm is but sounds like hes jealous or mad about something. now i done 4 years in westville and pendleton correctional facilities in indiana and studied law for 4 years while incarcerated. by no means am i a lawyer or paralegal or even anywhere close to being either, but from wut i do know and have learned, that usually the lawyer knows at least 2 to 3 times as much as the paralegal, and with wut ive researched on mr. everroad, the paralegal for welke law firm, i personally would be willing to take the chance with mr. welke as my attorney, just from knowing wut i know bout mr. everroad. hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to animal211 For This Useful Post:
Smitten157 (04-23-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,926 Times in 951 Posts

Wow interesting information, and I can say from what I've read if I ever do need an attorney I would def give this Mr. Everroad and the Welke law firm a call...sounds very qualified.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks to everyone that has came to our defense. It is comforting to know that there are still some decent people out there in the world. We still have no idea as to who the individual was that made the original posting, which we all now know was made with malice intent. You all know how to reach me at the firm if you ever need anything. I do wish everyone some achievement of semblance of justice from the criminal injustice system.

Joseph Everroad, B.S.L., J.D.
The Welke Law Firm
Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Default Wanting info on atty Brent Welke

Does anyone know of a lawyer Brent Welke? Not sure if I am in the right place to post this.
My husband was given that name and a phone number. The number I believe belongs to some individual. All I get is the voicemail saying I had reached that number, but no name.So far no one has returned my call. I feel very uneasy wanting to send money to take my husband case.
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,120 Times in 3,038 Posts

I don't know anything about him but his website says he just does bankruptcy, foreclosure, and family law.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,971 Times in 3,127 Posts

I would trust your instincts on this one.

1. If he was an actual appeals law attorney, he would have an answering message.

2. If you can't get through to a human, I seriously doubt he's a lawyer - most lawyers have, at the very least, an answering service, because they're in court or visiting clients in jails/prisons.

3. There are a lot of scam artists in prison. A name and a phone number don't mean anything other than, well, a name (which may have been the first name someone could find of a lawyer) and a phone number (which isn't working).

It could be that you were given the wrong phone number. It could be a scam. Either way, I would definitely trust your instincts on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
BW123 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Green Eyed Monster

I just saw this suggested in the similar thread thingie at the bottom. Seems this attorney's name has come up on PTO before.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=510924

Last edited by 4Bobby; 07-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

For those reading this thread for the first time, I would like to point out that anyone could make an account here, post "information" here, and neither PTO nor its staff has any way of verifying these claims.

Take actions at your own risk. In general, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
I don't know anything about him but his website says he just does bankruptcy, foreclosure, and family law.
Do you have his web site address? I have not found anything on him.
Someone from the number I was given, text me. It took 4 tries to get a name and address to be able to send a money order. My husband wants me to send.Address I was given is in Mishawaka, Indiana. I am leery sending it. I was expecting an office personel to answer, along with the name of an office of ? ?. AI got was a voice mail saying you have reached the number I had called. My gut is saying not legit. Any info on this guy should be greatly appreciated. Oh when I received the text . I was to make the money order out to a Karl Stewart.
Any info on him would be greatful.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Trust your instincts.

You've got a "lawyer" who wants money. Except he has no answering service or receptionist. And you're supposed to make the money order out to someone who is not the attorney nor is he the law office (e.g. Brent Welke, LLC). And they want a money order, not a check or credit card.

If I gave you my coworker's phone number and told your husband that I was the best attorney ever, would you send a different person a money order on behalf of me?

This screams "scam" in every possible way. These people use hope and fear to cause people to fall for their scams. Please don't fall for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-18-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:47 PM

My husband still wants to send money to Karl Stewart, who claims to work for Mr Welkes.
My gut says dont do it, but my husband is saying send it. It his money, so if he wants to thru it away. It's on him. Not me. He wants me to send it certify, do they have to sign for it. That does not mean its legit.
This has cause a lot of heated arguments between me and my husband.
I Google the address, it's a house.
I wish there was away to find out if this is a real lawyer.
I was told he is a bankruptcy lawyer, but does some criminal cases on the side.
If anyone on here can give me anything on this, please do so.
The longer I delay sending the money, the madder my husband gets. And is believing, I dont want him home.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,120 Times in 3,038 Posts

https://welkelawfirm.net/

That's his website. He's in Indianapolis which is 3 hours south of the city you mentioned above. I'd call the attorney's office using the phone number on his website and ask him about it. He may be unaware someone is using his name for fraud.

Welke Law Firm
Address: 700 North High School Road #203-Indianapolis, IN 46214
Phone: 317-748-7772

Only 2 attorneys there, Mr. Welke and Lori Adams. https://welkelawfirm.net/our-firm
Old 07-29-2019, 05:04 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,881 Times in 15,417 Posts

**He wants me to send it certify, do they have to sign**
Send a check certified? or the mail?
I am not sure if banks still do check certification. They would probably tell you to buy a cashiers check.
To send it so they would have to sign for receiving it, you would go to the post office and ask them to send it so it requires a signature. (certified letter)

In fact you could send restricted delivery. So ONLY the person you wanted to have this would have to show ID and sign as having received it.
Hope that makes sense.

Personally? It sounds strange to me. The whole thing.If your hubby is so fired up about doing this, he could probably do it himself. He'd of course have to have the money in his prison account. And he'd probably have to inquire as to how to go about sending a certified piece of mail.

That's my dog's nose art