Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:12 PM

I have a question....tested positive today on the ION machine. Not sure why today as I have visited every weekend since beginning of march and never tested positive. Anyway I was not offered or told if I stripped search I could have my contact visit just pat down and a none contact. I would have total down strip to prove this was bogus. But after I washed my hands the CO put a clean cloth in the machine it ran twice OK then swabbed my hands with the same cloth in the machine and it came back positive. I've read it need to be calibrated after positive test..is that the calibration and will my next visit be a contract visit?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,241 Times in 7,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisVanillaCream View Post
I have a question....tested positive today on the ION machine. Not sure why today as I have visited every weekend since beginning of march and never tested positive. Anyway I was not offered or told if I stripped search I could have my contact visit just pat down and a none contact. I would have total down strip to prove this was bogus. But after I washed my hands the CO put a clean cloth in the machine it ran twice OK then swabbed my hands with the same cloth in the machine and it came back positive. I've read it need to be calibrated after positive test..is that the calibration and will my next visit be a contract visit?
They do not do strip searches following a positive result any longer, only a clothed patdown. Even so, it is more likely you would have been offered a non-contact visit even if no contraband was found. You will be tested on your next visit and if you test positive, you should be offered a clothed patdown with the option of a non-contact visit**. Three positive scans will get your visits suspended.

You can read through the regulations here.

**Non-contact visits are at the discretion of the visiting staff. They are permitted to allow them but not required.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Oh OK well if it happens again I won't be so quiet. The CO even asked me if I take any prescription meds that would make it go off. I don't know...I do not use or handle any type of narcotics. But I seen them make a big issue out of a woman questioning the machine negative test, so I just complied quietly and had my visit. I've also seen an eldery woman be harassed by KVSP by a positive test.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisVanillaCream View Post
Oh OK well if it happens again I won't be so quiet. The CO even asked me if I take any prescription meds that would make it go off. I don't know...I do not use or handle any type of narcotics. But I seen them make a big issue out of a woman questioning the machine negative test, so I just complied quietly and had my visit. I've also seen an eldery woman be harassed by KVSP by a positive test.
I know a few folks at different facilities who have had false positives more than once. Every time it was for a drug they have no contact with (they should tell you what you tested positive for). I can't tell you what to do, but I can say that there's little point in being aggressive with the CO. If you test positive again and you're sure it's not you, you can ask to speak to the Visiting Sargent about your options. It's frustrating, I understand. But getting on their radar as someone testing pos and being volatile might not work out so well.

Also, if you're not already, clean your hands with hand sanitizer before you go in and don't touch anything you don't have to before you get through processing. Handling money is the absolute best way to come in contact with residue.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:58 PM

Oh no no not violent or loud with the CO just stating that it's wrong, I didnt really say or try to explain today. I figured it wouldn't do any good any way. But I did borrow someone car today not saying that was it but that was a different element than normal. Thank you for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to HisVanillaCream For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-15-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,061 Times in 4,604 Posts

Hi Ladies I am not sure if I am imagining things but is there a way by email to schedule a visit at KVSP for visitors travelling from out of state I am travelling from the Uk. I am sure I have read something but I cant find it. Thank you for any help.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Hi Ladies I am not sure if I am imagining things but is there a way by email to schedule a visit at KVSP for visitors travelling from out of state I am travelling from the Uk. I am sure I have read something but I cant find it. Thank you for any help.
Are you trying to get a special visit or just a regular visiting appt?

If you need a regular appt. you'd use VPASS two weeks before your visit. To the best of my knowledge, after that the only way to get one is by phone. And that can be a struggle. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Either will do I dont know what a special visit means. I will be travelling from the UK so I want to see my friend as much as possible over a weekend as it will be likely I wont be able to visit again for along time.

Also if I cant get a vpass appointment or get through on the phone I have heard both are difficult and visits are snapped up quickly does that mean I cant visit. I find the info on vpass confusing.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Either will do I dont know what a special visit means. I will be travelling from the UK so I want to see my friend as much as possible over a weekend as it will be likely I wont be able to visit again for along time.

Also if I cant get a vpass appointment or get through on the phone I have heard both are difficult and visits are snapped up quickly does that mean I cant visit. I find the info on vpass confusing.
The VPASS is tough because they do go quickly. The phone is tough because it's an hour window, twice a day and you *might* get through. Special appt. usually means that you're requesting to see him at a time you/he typically wouldn't be allowed to visit.

If I were you, I'd hit the VPASS first. If you can't get one, post here that you need one. Often people cancel and you can snag one that way. Also, because of the distance you're traveling, I've been told that you are able to process with the 8am folks even if you have no appt.

There are options and it is a bit confusing, but start with the VPASS and if that doesn't work, report back here and we'll see what we can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (06-01-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Cujo0626

Hoping everyone is doing well.. I'm hope if anyone will not be able to visit this weekend if possible if you would be willing to help.. My fiends mom wants to visit her son that just came from the bay and she hasn't seen him in a while.. Please PM if you can help.. Thank you in advance for any help..
Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Cujo0626

I have an apt for tomorrow 6/11/16 at 10:30. If anyone is interested, please PM me
Old 06-10-2016, 08:41 PM

If anyone has a Sunday June 12 8am or 8:30 am avail please private message me I have a Sunday June 19 at 8am I can trade if needed thank u so much
Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM

Vpass appointments went quick tonight I got an appt for sun June 26 at 9am but I'm looking to trade for 10 or 10:30 for either sat June 25 or sun June 26 if anyone wants to trade or cancels please message me
Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM

Question Any appointments for Saturday, 6/18?

If anyone has an appointment for 6/18 please PM me. Haven't seen my boo in awhile and I miss him!
Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 AM

I'm looking to trade appointment times, I have a 1030 on Sunday the 19th looking for earlier
Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 AM
OG Prison Wifey

I have an appt for this Saturday 6/25 @10 a.m... Anyone willing to swap for an appt on Sun 7/3 @ any time? Please send msg if interested...thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PrisonTalk
Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 AM

Hi ladies if anyone has an appointment for the 2nd or 3rd of July that they are not going to use please pm me. I am travelling from the uk to visit a dear friend. The v pass site froze on me and the appointments were gone in minutes. I really need your help so pm me if you can help. Thank you x

The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-20-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Hi ladies if anyone has an appointment for the 2nd or 3rd of July that they are not going to use please pm me. I am travelling from the uk to visit a dear friend. The v pass site froze on me and the appointments were gone in minutes. I really need your help so pm me if you can help. Thank you x

Ladies I am sorted I have my appointments and I am so excited.
Thank you for your support messages, never know I might see you there I will be the little blond lady looking lost.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
cujo0626 (06-21-2016), miamac (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:04 AM
OG Prison Wifey

Well I wasn't so lucky. No hits for me yet. If anyone has an appt that they will not be using next weekend preferrably the 3rd, please keep me in mind... I was supposed to be going this wknd but I will not be able to make it. Haven't seen my fiance since August of last year, so this favor will be HIGHLY APPRECIATED! Thank u in advance to anyone who could be of assistance!

Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Get in touch at 4pm UK time by telephoning Kern Valley Visiting Office. The Visiting Sgt is John Melvin. The booking of appointments in either Victoria Nelson or Officer L Townsley. All are extremely helpful.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney444 View Post
Get in touch at 4pm UK time by telephoning Kern Valley Visiting Office. The Visiting Sgt is John Melvin. The booking of appointments in either Victoria Nelson or Officer L Townsley. All are extremely helpful.
They are helpful, eh!
Thankfully the OP has her appts. and we can't wait to know all went well with the visit!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Hello if anyone has a July 9 appt at 8am please msg me that's so much
Old 07-02-2016, 12:59 PM
OG Prison Wifey

Did they change the rules about the sandals? Do they still have to have the back strap?? Need to know before tomorrow, THANKS!

Old 07-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmamasd View Post
Did they change the rules about the sandals? Do they still have to have the back strap?? Need to know before tomorrow, THANKS!

Last I heard (dec) you could wear the style without a back provided they weren't the foam-soled flip flop and your foot didn't hang off anywhere.

Hopefully someone comes along to confirm that. If not, bring a change of shoes.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:51 PM
OG Prison Wifey

Ok, great. I think I heard that as well... I haven't been there in sooo long, just wanted to make sure before I go. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac
Last I heard (dec) you could wear the style without a back provided they weren't the foam-soled flip flop and your foot didn't hang off anywhere. Hopefully someone comes along to confirm that. If not, bring a change of shoes.