Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly Garcia View Post
Hi... I wanted to know how did it take for you to get approved Pancha? Thank You... Hope someone answer's question because I would like to know as well...
It took about 5 weeks to approve me.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,239 Times in 7,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
Hi everyone, I have a question I just got approved for visiting and I've tried to make a appt. On Vpass but it say no available appt for that many visiters and I'm only putting one visiter.
Also when making appt. The time that appear, are those available times? Sorry I'm new at this. I've tried all times and date, but same message.
VPASS is cut-throat. I don't recall what day/time appointments open up for KVSP (used to be Sunday night at 8pm, two weeks in advance), but the appts are gone in less than 4-5 mins. After that, you just have to keep checking and hope someone cancels.

Times in the drop-down are the appt times the prison uses to process you. The available time slot will appear below with a little bubble to select if you want that appt. You'll select it and click continue. If no appts are available, it will say no appts available.

KVSP used to have phone hours to make an appt if you couldn't get one on VPASS, not sure if they still do that. It's also a HUGE pain in the rear end. Be prepared to dial in over and over.

But...sometimes you get lucky on both. If not, it's always an option to post here and ask if anyone is cancelling for a certain day. KVSP has always had a friendly and helpful group of visitors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (06-17-2017), sidewalker (06-18-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
VPASS is cut-throat. I don't recall what day/time appointments open up for KVSP (used to be Sunday night at 8pm, two weeks in advance), but the appts are gone in less than 4-5 mins. After that, you just have to keep checking and hope someone cancels.

Times in the drop-down are the appt times the prison uses to process you. The available time slot will appear below with a little bubble to select if you want that appt. You'll select it and click continue. If no appts are available, it will say no appts available.

KVSP used to have phone hours to make an appt if you couldn't get one on VPASS, not sure if they still do that. It's also a HUGE pain in the rear end. Be prepared to dial in over and over.

But...sometimes you get lucky on both. If not, it's always an option to post here and ask if anyone is cancelling for a certain day. KVSP has always had a friendly and helpful group of visitors.
Thank you for this info. I will try tommarow night to make a appt. Wish me luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pancha For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
Thank you for this info. I will try tommarow night to make a appt. Wish me luck.
I just checked the facility message on VPASS:
VPASS appointments currently are available at 9:00 PM every Sunday.

It doesn't say two weeks before, so they may be a week ahead now. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 PM

Thank you Miamac for that info. Your an angel!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pancha For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-18-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM

Has anyone visited Kern for a non-contact visit? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunac View Post
has anyone visited kern for a non-contact visit? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
that's a great question that i would like to know as well...
The Following User Says Thank You to Shelly Garcia For This Useful Post:
keeb714 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:16 PM

I had one in February & I wish I hadn't it was only an hour & it was so hard to see everyone hugging & kissing their LO. I finally get my contact visit in 2 weeks. YAYYY! I don't how else to exlplain. If I can answer any questions I'd be more than happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to keeb714 For This Useful Post:
Shelly Garcia (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeb714 View Post
i had one in february & i wish i hadn't it was only an hour & it was so hard to see everyone hugging & kissing their lo. I finally get my contact visit in 2 weeks. Yayyy! I don't how else to exlplain. If i can answer any questions i'd be more than happy.
thank you for responding to the question... Was your loved one waiting when you got in the visiting room & did you wait for him? I also understand that you need to call to schedule a non-contact... How does that work since you are getting processed with the ppl getting reg contact visit, does it take away from your hour visit if processing is slow for whatever reason? Thank you!!!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:16 AM

No i actually waited for him for about 10 minutes. Just want to warn you in case you havent seen him shackled they do bring him out shackled. I've seen mine before but it was still hard for me. And yes you do have to schedule your visit over the phone non contact is not done on vpass. Your going to need ALOT of patience. I kid you not I once redialed 336 times. Your also processed Like if you were having a contact visits except instead of being assigned a table your assigns booth. I drove 3 hours to spend 1 hour (which honestly felt like 10 minutes) & drive right back 4 hours (traffic) But I would do that 100xs over for him. Good luck. And if I can help you with any other questions feel free.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:15 PM

keeb714

Thank you for the information. I will be doing the same, driving 2 hours and then 3 hours back with traffic. I am wondering how long it took to process you to go back to see him and did you talk through a phone?

I've had a few contact visits, but am unfamiliar with no contact visits.

Also, how far in advance can you schedule a visit? I'm confused if it is one or two weeks in advance.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to be approved for visits?

Thanks again and any other information you would like to share is much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
keeb714

Thank you for the information. I will be doing the same, driving 2 hours and then 3 hours back with traffic. I am wondering how long it took to process you to go back to see him and did you talk through a phone?

Also, how far in advance can you schedule a visit? I'm confused if it is one or two weeks in advance.

Thanks again and any other information you would like to share is much appreciated.
I can answer some, but not all...

Visitation approval can take 4-6 weeks depending on the number of apps they're processing at the time.

You'll process in like everyone else, though they do call the first non-contact appt of the day out of line in order to get things started. So if you're an 8 or 8:30, be there early. Once you're processed you'll go to the yard, they'll call for you LO and assign you a window. There is a phone there you'll use to communicate. You'll have access to vending machines for yourself.

Last edited by miamac; 08-02-2017 at 06:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
keeb714 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:02 PM

Thanks, Miamac.

I appreciate the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunac For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
keeb714

You can schedule your visits 2 weeks in advance. Even though I suggest you do it asap. So this coming Sunday @ 9pm you can schedule for the following 2 weekends. Took about 30-45 minutes from when I walked up to me being assigned a booth. And about another 10 for him to be brought out.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Keeb714

When you say I can schedule two weeks in advance, can I schedule two visits? For example, one for the following weekend and one for the next?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunac For This Useful Post:
keeb714 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Keeb714

When you say I can schedule two weeks in advance, can I schedule two visits? For example, one for the following weekend and one for the next?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Actually no I was wrong when you call your only allowed to schedule 1 appoint per call to give everyone a chance they say. So I just schedule 1 & hang up & call back. Lol
Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeb714 View Post
Actually no I was wrong when you call your only allowed to schedule 1 appoint per call to give everyone a chance they say. So I just schedule 1 & hang up & call back. Lol
Thanks again for helping. I think I'm all set now.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 AM

keeb714

You may or may not know the answer to this. What happens if I schedule an appointment and his family tries to do so for the same day? Can he have two visits in a day? They go pretty regularly, but I am not in contact with them to coordinate days.

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:42 AM

Actually whoever schedules first gets the visit. Unless they cancell. The same thing happened to me his stepmom scheduled a visit before I got through. So by the time I got through the CO told me he already had a visit scheduled for that weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to keeb714 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:42 PM

I went to call this week to schedule to see my brother, reception inmates do not need to schedule appts. INmates not in reception but behind glass for non contact do need to schedule. i even asked are you sure, and she said yes. Just to make sure I called back the next day and was told the same thing, this time by a guy that reception you do not have to schedule.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:43 PM

Up to 5 people can go in at one time, if you both are tring to schedule go together, or wait till the next day.

Quote:
keeb714

You may or may not know the answer to this. What happens if I schedule an appointment and his family tries to do so for the same day? Can he have two visits in a day? They go pretty regularly, but I am not in contact with them to coordinate days.

Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlo44 View Post
I went to call this week to schedule to see my brother, reception inmates do not need to schedule appts. INmates not in reception but behind glass for non contact do need to schedule. i even asked are you sure, and she said yes. Just to make sure I called back the next day and was told the same thing, this time by a guy that reception you do not have to schedule.
Are you talking about Kern Valley State Prison or North Kern State Prison? There is no reception at KVSP last I checked.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 PM

Sorry, you are correct i didn't even catch that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Are you talking about Kern Valley State Prison or North Kern State Prison? There is no reception at KVSP last I checked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demlo441 For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlo44 View Post
Sorry, you are correct i didn't even catch that.
No worries! They're right across the street from one another with nearly the same name. It happens a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-27-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM

I was approved for visiting in just 10 days, but I think it may have something to do with already being in the system as I just visited a friend in March at a different facility. My boyfriend said it took his nephew a full month to get approved in July.

I called for an appointment as my boyfriend is in ad seg, but couldn't get through. I hit redial 432 times!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has any suggestions to get through, I would appreciate it.