Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 PM

Hello, I have plans on visiting a friend at Kern Valley. He is on yard A. Would anyone be able to inform me if I’d be able to use VPass to make an appointment since he is on A yard. I’ve visited at a different prison before and I know some yards didn’t allow visitors to use VPass. In the case of not being able to use VPass what is the best time to call? Is the check in process ridiculous or is it pretty simple? Any answers would be great. Thank you much in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeV View Post
Hello, I have plans on visiting a friend at Kern Valley. He is on yard A. Would anyone be able to inform me if Iíd be able to use VPass to make an appointment since he is on A yard. Iíve visited at a different prison before and I know some yards didnít allow visitors to use VPass. In the case of not being able to use VPass what is the best time to call? Is the check in process ridiculous or is it pretty simple? Any answers would be great. Thank you much in advanced.
Hi. Vpass opens up for Kern on Sunday nights at 9... at 9:01 the appts open and by 9:02 they are all gone. All yards use Vpass that i'm aware of, unless it's behind glass then I believe you have to call... you are able to call as well for regular visits, ive never called, so I don't know the number, but from what I hear it's a headache to get through. Processing has it's days, sometimes they move quick and sometimes they just stand there.... Good luck
MoeV (11-04-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Anyone canceling?

My LO is in D yard in the THU and only gets contact visits every third weekend of the month. I tried to schedule an appointment on Nov 18th or 19th (the weekend he gets contact visits) on VPASS but there were no appointments available. I'm not even sure that I can use VPASS to schedule appointments for THU because they are usually non-contact and I know for non-contact, it's that phone number. I've been trying that phone number every minute but get busy signals.

I read on here that I can reach out and ask if anyone cancels their appointment for the weekend of November 18th, they can let me know? Or even for this upcoming weekend...I'm open to non-contact, too.

I'm not sure what else to do. This whole process is ridiculously hard. Please also let me know if I'm doing something wrong/missing something? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGrl72 View Post
My LO is in D yard in the THU and only gets contact visits every third weekend of the month. I tried to schedule an appointment on Nov 18th or 19th (the weekend he gets contact visits) on VPASS but there were no appointments available. I'm not even sure that I can use VPASS to schedule appointments for THU because they are usually non-contact and I know for non-contact, it's that phone number. I've been trying that phone number every minute but get busy signals.

I read on here that I can reach out and ask if anyone cancels their appointment for the weekend of November 18th, they can let me know? Or even for this upcoming weekend...I'm open to non-contact, too.

I'm not sure what else to do. This whole process is ridiculously hard. Please also let me know if I'm doing something wrong/missing something? Thanks in advance.

Can you tell me what THU is?

My boyfriend is in seg and is allowed non contact visits only. You must call to schedule an appointment for them.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,238 Times in 7,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunac View Post

My boyfriend is in seg and is allowed non contact visits only. You must call to schedule an appointment for them.
THU-- Transitional Housing Unit.

It's not punitive, it's the middle step of going SNY. They have non-contact visits three weekends a month and contact visits one weekend a month because they share a yard with SNY inmates who have the opposite schedule.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

HI! Yes, yes Transitional Housing Unit and they only get contact visits on the third weekend of the month. So, for non-contact visits, you call that number and I tried from like 7-8 AM nonstop and it was busy the whole time!! Do you just keep calling over and over? How far in advance do you have to schedule with the phone? When they do pick up, is it a real person? Any tips would be appreciated and thank you!!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
HI! Yes, yes Transitional Housing Unit and they only get contact visits on the third weekend of the month. So, for non-contact visits, you call that number and I tried from like 7-8 AM nonstop and it was busy the whole time!! Do you just keep calling over and over? How far in advance do you have to schedule with the phone? When they do pick up, is it a real person? Any tips would be appreciated and thank you!!
Hi. On my lunch break, will respond in 2 hours.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Hi. On my lunch break, will respond in 2 hours.
Okay, thank you so much!!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I have been scheduling visits with my boyfriend in ad seg for two months now. The first time I called, I had to call over four hours and it took 2500 redials to get through. Sometimes it takes 2000, sometimes 1000. I kid you not. My phone records just 500 redials and I hit that number each hour I call and I know call more, but it stops at 500. You just have to keep hitting redial. I promise you will get through. I know it seems impossible, but you just have to keep trying.

You can call on Monday and schedule for the two following Saturdays. So, if you were to call on the 7th, you could schedule for the 11th and the 18th. You can only schedule one visit per day. So if his relative called to schedule that day and you got through the same day, you would be told to hang up and call back another day.

It is a live person and they are impatient and abrupt, probably because they are inundated with calls, and so you have to be quick and loud or they will disconnect the call. They don't even say hello, they immediately ask for his cdc number, give it loud and clear, they look it up, then give them the date and time you want. Sometimes they will place you on hold and not even tell you and then you think you were disconnected because there is silence. Don't hang up! I did one time, but immediately got back through and the woman knew it was me and she told me don't hang up, I put you on hold.

My patience is tried each and every week when I start calling, but I know I will eventually get through as I always do. My love is worth the thousands of redials I have hit for two months now. We are hoping he is moved back to gp early next year. Until then....redial, redial, redial.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I have been scheduling visits with my boyfriend in ad seg for two months now. The first time I called, I had to call over four hours and it took 2500 redials to get through. Sometimes it takes 2000, sometimes 1000. I kid you not. My phone records just 500 redials and I hit that number each hour I call and I know call more, but it stops at 500. You just have to keep hitting redial. I promise you will get through. I know it seems impossible, but you just have to keep trying.

You can call on Monday and schedule for the two following Saturdays. So, if you were to call on the 7th, you could schedule for the 11th and the 18th. You can only schedule one visit per day. So if his relative called to schedule that day and you got through the same day, you would be told to hang up and call back another day.

It is a live person and they are impatient and abrupt, probably because they are inundated with calls, and so you have to be quick and loud or they will disconnect the call. They don't even say hello, they immediately ask for his cdc number, give it loud and clear, they look it up, then give them the date and time you want. Sometimes they will place you on hold and not even tell you and then you think you were disconnected because there is silence. Don't hang up! I did one time, but immediately got back through and the woman knew it was me and she told me don't hang up, I put you on hold.

My patience is tried each and every week when I start calling, but I know I will eventually get through as I always do. My love is worth the thousands of redials I have hit for two months now. We are hoping he is moved back to gp early next year. Until then....redial, redial, redial.

Hope this helps.
This helps so much!! Thank you so very much for taking the time to explain this!! So, you said you called for four hours, but I thought they only let you call between 7 and 8 AM and 12 and 1 PM. Is that not correct? Also, do you keep calling every day? Like, I'm wondering if I should even call tomorrow since I want to come on the 11th or 18th (like do they get booked up by Tuesday of the week)? Feel free to PM me, as it sounds like we have a lot in common! I would love to hear more about your experience. This seems so hard but you are strong for handling this and making it work for your man!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
THU-- Transitional Housing Unit.

It's not punitive, it's the middle step of going SNY. They have non-contact visits three weekends a month and contact visits one weekend a month because they share a yard with SNY inmates who have the opposite schedule.
Thank you, miamac! Do know if we schedule the contact visit weekend on VPASS or is it just the phone number for THU? Also, since I didn't get an appointment for the 18th, I'm wondering about just showing up without an appointment and trying to see him. Is that just totally dumb? I would take an hourbwith hik at this point. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 AM

What is going on with the visit phone line???
Anyone successful in getting through?
Have the hours changed, or # to call???

I have tried Monday - 7am-8am, 12-1, tues 7am-8am, today 7am- 739am
( and will try more after I post this! Until 8 am)

Besides a busy signal, when it actually rings through I get the recording that tells me not to try to make an appt on the machine as they won’t schedule it, then it tells me to call the same # I have just called to schedule an appt!!!

I just don’t get it!!! What are others experiencing??

Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Okay- I fillay got thru. I hope everyone else is able to do so as well. It seems so random and weird this appointment process.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
What is going on with the visit phone line???
Anyone successful in getting through?
Have the hours changed, or # to call???

I have tried Monday - 7am-8am, 12-1, tues 7am-8am, today 7am- 739am
( and will try more after I post this! Until 8 am)

Besides a busy signal, when it actually rings through I get the recording that tells me not to try to make an appt on the machine as they wonít schedule it, then it tells me to call the same # I have just called to schedule an appt!!!

I just donít get it!!! What are others experiencing??
The hours nor number have changed. This sounds usual to me. I spend two hours each day trying to get through. I usually spend at least 5 hours trying to reach someone before scheduling a visit. This is no less than 2500 redials.

I'm hoping that now the holidays have passed, it will get easier. From what I understand, though, this is usual.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 AM

Hey all. Random question: has anyone with piercings ever had issues with custody officers at Kern? I usually have a nose piercing and I'm about go get mine re-pierced today but then had a thought that they may want me to take it out? Which really isn't possible with nose hoops...Hopefully it's a non issue but I just wanted to check with others' experiences. Have a good day!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,060 Times in 4,603 Posts

Quote:
Hey all. Random question: has anyone with piercings ever had issues with custody officers at Kern? I usually have a nose piercing and I'm about go get mine re-pierced today but then had a thought that they may want me to take it out? Which really isn't possible with nose hoops...Hopefully it's a non issue but I just wanted to check with others' experiences. Have a good day!
If your piercing is metal it may set of the metal detector and they make take issue with that.Is it possible for you to get a removable piercing?

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
I've seen them send people back from the visiting room even though it got through processing. If it were me, I'd not do it. But if you're OK removing it on the chance they say no, then go for it.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I've seen them send people back from the visiting room even though it got through processing. If it were me, I'd not do it. But if you're OK removing it on the chance they say no, then go for it.
Really, Miamac? That's wild to me because I've scoured the visiting handbook several times and I don't see anything about not allowing body jewelry! Oh well, I guess I'll see how it goes.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Really, Miamac? That's wild to me because I've scoured the visiting handbook several times and I don't see anything about not allowing body jewelry! Oh well, I guess I'll see how it goes.
Today during processing, the girl in front of me was told to take her nose piercing out and they sent her back to her car. It doesnít have to be a rule in the visiting handbook. Every prison has their own rules. Here they clearly do not allow them or the lady in front of me would not have been sent back to her car. Her nose ring was tiny too.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrsgonzos For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Basically your body jewellery is a piece of metal that you are taking into the visiting room. Itís probably going to trip the metal detector and itís not essential like a medical aid. If you want to risk it then itís up to you but they deny you make sure you can go to your car and take it out or you will have a wasted journey.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Thank you for the feedback! I was reading other threads on here and the majority discuss that a nose piercing that is good quality will most likely not trip the metal detector unless it's set really low, so it's probably a matter of whether it catches one of their eyes. So annoying that we have to worry about these little things, but I guess that's the lives we lead! �� thanks again!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Trust me the KVSP staff will notice they are very strict, its really worth risking your visit for. Justmake sure you can take it out if you need to.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Site Moderator

It's not just a matter of the metal detector. They can implement a no facial piercing policy just as they limit the other types of jewelry allowed. When we were at KVSP, that's how it was-- no facial piercings, period. The facility we're at now says you are allowed one. Title 15 is the basic set of rules, beyond that it's up to the visiting staff to outline their policies as they pertain to that facility.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:08 PM

Thanks for letting me know about those individual prison rules, Miamac! Sounds like I'll be taking my hoop back out lol! Definitely not worth the stress. It's crazy because I often think of California as "liberal," but I'm seeing that doesn't apply to CDCR!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:10 PM

So my question is how many kids are you able to take when visiting? And is there a dress code kids have to go by?