Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Is Federal prison food tasty?

Just curious, and what are typical meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force
Just curious, and what are typical meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
Tasty? From what my husband's said, I wouldn't use the word tasty lol. Really it just depends. Some places are better than others. Some meals are decent where my husband is, and some aren't worth eating. He's mentioned eating meatloaf, chicken fajitas, omelets, hamburgers, corndog, chicken & rice, tacos. The salad bar, in his opinion, is decent. That's all I can think of.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:38 PM

The pancakes rock! Oh, and the eggs to order. Other than that, ummm......well, not too great!!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Account Closed

Rumor is, they eat a lot of ramen noodles...which gives me a flashback to my college days which makes me want to crawl into a fetal position and begin sucking my thumb.

'Nuff said.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM

Can they buy their own food ?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:18 PM

Yes, from commissary.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Account Closed

I know at FMC Lexington they use expired food, or meat labeled "not fit for human consumption." Quite a few of the inmates got food poisoning last week from the chicken. It appears that they cook the food early and then just leave it sitting out until lunch/dinner.
My husband rarely touches the cafeteria food.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:33 PM

my husband always skips anything that has chicken in it. He's seen a guy upchuck before he even get out of the cafeteria
Old 12-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Donation Award 

About six months after I arrived at Alderson we got a new CDR supervisor and he was dynomite. He really made the summer holidays special. Cookouts with barbequed chicken or ribs along with hamburgers and hot dogs on a huge grill and all the fixings - baked beans, potato and macaroni salad, deviled eggs, chips & veggies with dip, etc. Once a quarter we would have an ice cream social where you could make your own banana splits or sundaes with all the toppings. On Thanksgiving your family could actually eat with you in CDR and they really would go all out. The Christmas meal was always stuffed cornish hens, and on New Year's and Mother's Day he served steak and stuffed shrimp.

They served three hot meals during the week and had coffee hour, brunch and supper on the weekends. In addition to the meal and dessert that was being served we had a soup bar, a hot bar with vegetables and baked potatoes, a salad bar that was truly awesome considering the setting, a beverage bar where you could have unlimited glasses of 5 different types of pop, hot tea and coffee, iced tea, koolaide, juice and milk, and usually your choice of a piece of fresh fruit; pears, apples, oranges, grapes, etc. Granted some meals were better than others. You could eat and drink yourself silly as long as you stayed in CDR. All you could take out with you was one piece of fresh fruit.

All things considered it's not bad. Probably another reason they call it Camp Cupcake!

Last edited by guysgal; 12-01-2004 at 02:24 AM..
Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
"Follow the Golden Rule"

Guysgal ~ Do they still do that today? How long ago was it that you were in Alderson?

Old 12-01-2004, 12:53 PM

What does CDR stand for? Camp dining room?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Donation Award 

CDR stands for Central Dining Room. I left Alderson in January 2003, and from what I understand from the women I am still in contact with there, things haven't changed very much. As I said, some meals left a lot to be desired. However, there was always the soup and salad bar along with a baked potato. CDR might not be up to Martha Stewart's standards , but no one ever had to go hungry unless they wanted to.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:20 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Reading the title/question... i had to LMAO!! I'm not laughing at you, but laughing because of the quesstion and reminising about the last visit with him!! He surprised me. He ate me out of the whole of the money that youre allowed to take in (I always take in the whole $25)!! I found it amusing seeing him eat like that. He grumbles about the prison food all the time... never stops!! So i presume that it is far from tasty!! He tells me how he walks into the chow hall and walks straight back out again!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Closed

I have heard that recently, the food has gotten much worse that it has ever been. He said it was due to the budget cuts.