Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the California State Prison, located in Los Angeles County, California.

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Teenage LOVE Turned Solid

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder View Post
Hello ladies, preparing for our first ever FV. I have several questions, which do not appear to have been addressed on this thread to date. Here it goes:

1- Do they provide saucepans to cook with (and what are we cooking on? Gas Stove? electric stove? Or is it solely a microwave to heat up food).

Yes there's pots and pans and the stove is gas.

2- I assume there is no refrigerator since the food is prison package food, which doesn't need to be kept refrigerated?

Yes there's a frig

3- Can we have bottled water? I didn't see any in the FV packages on those sites such as wolkenhorst etc..

Actually I purchase from Walkenhorsts and I always purchase bottled water. It's sold per bottle lol not by the case

4- Do they still call every hour on the hour at night to make sure the inmate has not escaped? What time is the first call and at what time do they finally stop calling (so we can finally get some sleep LOL)?

No call every hour on the hour just minutes before HE is to step outside by the gate for count and you must accompany him only at the 9/10PM count

5- I understand you can go outside in the tiny fenced front yard. Can you sit out there if you want to? (kinda hot right now LOL but I'm saying... We've never had a chance to be outdoors together EVER)

Yes you can

6- Is it true your suitcase must be see through? I always see people coming out of FV and they have normal bags.

No suitcases are allowed no bags with wheels and they prefer your bag be clear/see through although several ladies use the reusable bags all the stores sell for like $1-$5

7- I understand all items you bring for showering must be brand new, sealed. Do they provide basic stuff like soap and shampoo if you don't bring your own?

It doesn't have to be factory sealed but nothing can contain alcohol and no they don't provide anything

8- My husband asked me if we can bring a camera... I told him; "dream on LOL" but I was just guessing. I'd be VERY surprised - to say the least - if the answer was "yes" LOL. Does anyone know?

Lol nice try ummmm no

9- How many CDs can you bring with you these days? I had heard it was 10 and they had to be store bought music CD (as opposed to burnt at home CDs) - Do they have to still be sealed?

No burned CD's and only 5 and they must be in the original case why I don't know

10- Most importantly: WHAT HAPPENS TO THE FOOD YOU DON'T CONSUME. Can you take it back with you or - just like at normal visiting - do you have to throw it all away when you leave

I've never had anything left over lol hubby eats it all

Thank you Ladies!
Hope my answers helped and enjoy your visit
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOBSGIRL1990 View Post
Hope my answers helped and enjoy your visit
THANK YOU so much for the answers, can you confirm that you are visiting LAC and when was the last time you had a FV? Was it recently?

The reason I ask is because I got a PM from another nice lady who is getting FV at LAC and her info does not quite match yours...

Example: She said the stove is electric (maybe different apt have different stoves?), that they do call you every other hours from 9PM until 5AM (I wonder if it has to do with the custody level of the inmate though... What is your husband's custody level?)... She also said she cannot bring ANY CDs but you said 5...

So I am a bit confused now . Maybe you can explain...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Teenage LOVE Turned Solid

Quote:
THANK YOU so much for the answers, can you confirm that you are visiting LAC and when was the last time you had a FV? Was it recently?

The reason I ask is because I got a PM from another nice lady who is getting FV at LAC and her info does not quite match yours...

Example: She said the stove is electric (maybe different apt have different stoves?), that they do call you every other hours from 9PM until 5AM (I wonder if it has to do with the custody level of the inmate though... What is your husband's custody level?)... She also said she cannot bring ANY CDs but you said 5...

So I am a bit confused now . Maybe you can explain...

Yes LAC and she's correct I apologize its electric the level doesn't matter and yes I take 5 CD's
Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 PM

Been on a hunt for a clear duffel bag. Not an easy task, but I finally located one . Before I splurge I'm gonna ask them to confirm the guidelines for the bag. And is it only ONE bag or can we have say one big bag and a smaller one? Also, why do they not want the bag to have wheels? Wheels are GOOOOOD... Man kind invented the wheel ... The wheel is man kind's best friend!! It's gonna be heavy carrying that wheel-less sucker, with triple digits temps, filled up to the top, down that long path...

Which reminds me, where are those apartment located? Do you have to walk all the way to them or do you get a ride?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 AM

Hmmmm, looking at google maps, I think I located the apartments. Are they like two buildings with 5 apartments each in an inverted V formation at the South gate end of inner perimeter? Closest to avenue J and 55th, yes?

Looks like the little front yards are pretty long, much bigger than I imagined... I can't wait to lounge in that grass and watch the sunset together. Is that allowed? I know you can't be out there at dark, but until the sun goes down it won't start to get dark, right? Or do they have a set curfew time, regardless of ambient day light? Have any of you watched the sunset together while sitting outside? What can I say I am a romantic ... And my husband and I have NEVER been outside together, EVER, and have never seen a sunset together, so it would be a big deal for us and on my bucket list for sure, if allowed.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 AM

OK, I found out the answers in regards to yard time. So I'm good on that. But I forgot to ask about what the inmate can bring with him.

1- Can he bring regular prison clothes or only the blue pants and shirt they always wear at visiting? Example: could he bring his grey sweat pants and white tee?

2- Can he bring his own hygiene, if so, what is allowed and what is not?

3- What kind of clothes can the visitor bring? Any lingerie allowed? Stockings?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Good morning, does anyone know who I contact on B yard for family visits?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fHisLife View Post
Good morning, does anyone know who I contact on B yard for family visits?
Yes, the Family Visit coordinator is officer Allen - who is at processing every week-end. He is very nice. However, he can only help you if you already have started the application process. have you?

If you have not yet then: Your inmate must get the paperwork going.

1- He has to request a FV application blank form from counselor
2- He must fill it and send it to his counselor
3- Counselor will then verify his eligibility for FV (if he is a lifer or has had recent 115 or has a history of domestic abuse / rape / childabuse) then he cannot have FV period.
4- Counselor will sign off on application and send it to his Captain who then must also approve and sign (not sure what the criteria are here, probably current behavior and write ups recent history).

THEN - and only then - will the paperwork make it to CO Allen. he will then assign you a date and call you to let you know.I recommend following up on this when you see him at visit on week-ends.

5- Approximately 2 weeks prior to the visit date you are to order food from either wolkenhorst or Access secure pack. You can order the food online from wolkenhorst website. but you cannot order food online from Access. To order from Access, ask CO Allen to hand you the catalogue for FV ("menu"). You then call access on the phone and give them the list of the items you want. The food is shipped directly to the prison(they have the address, don't worry) and that is what you will be eating during your two days of visit. the apartments have a fridge although nothing in those packages requires refrigeration, since it's all prison / cell friendly food. There is a electric stove in units but frankly, not much to "cook" in those selections. It's mostly ready meals you just need to heat up (there is a microwave). They do provide dishwasher liquid and dishes and sauce pans etc.

6- You must bring only one bag with you and it has to be see through. You can bring your own beauty supplies (shampoo etc) but they must be poured in clear travel bottles. You cannot bring anythig electric, such as hair dryer, curling iron etc etc. You can bring razor to shave yoru legs though LOL. Go figure. No tweezers are allowed. You can bring regular clothes, even lingerie, and 10 condoms. They do provide sheets and towels. They do not provide stuff to shower with such as shampoo body lotion etc.

7- Your inmate can bring regular clothes to FV, so while having FV, he does not have to wear the blue typical outfit they always wear on week-end visits.

8- You can spend some time outside in the little fenced in yards, but only once the sun is up and never after 6PM.

9- If you want to watch the sunset together, you can watch it from the doorway: leave the door open and stand just inside the door and I was told it is allowed.

10- You have to step out for one count a day to make sure you are alive and well, I believe it is at 6PM. They will call every couple hours (or 1.5 hrs i can't remember) throughout the night and your inmate has to pick up the phone to confirm he still here LOL.

11- there is a primitive stereo system in the unit but you cannot bring CDs. Your inmate can bring either 2 or 5 CDs, depending on who you ask, you get different replies. I'd say aim for 5 and see how it goes .

MAKE SURE THE PHONE NUMBER YOU LISTED ON YOUR APPLICATION IS UP TO DATE cause they will call you to give you a date or to let you know there is a lockdown and FV have been cancelled etc.

I THINK THIS SUMS IT ALL. I did ask a lot of questions, to gather all the info everyone needs to understand how this all works. Hope this helps.

Hope all above leave a blueprint for future visitor on how to go about obtaining a FV at LAC.

Current wait time to get a date for visit (as of this posting) is a tad over 2 months from approval date. So if you were approved today you might get a FV date of 10/30/2013. That varies greatly of course depending on who else is trying to get a FV at the same time. First come first serve.

Last edited by Jryder; 07-23-2013 at 03:36 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jryder For This Useful Post:
beabenitez1978 (07-25-2013), Luv0fHisLife (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Thank you Jryder. His counselor is no help. We've had family visits before. I hope this process doesn't take long. How can I get his counselors ext?

Quote:
Yes, the Family Visit coordinator is officer Allen - who is at processing every week-end. He is very nice. However, he can only help you if you already have started the application process. have you?

If you have not yet then: Your inmate must get the paperwork going.

1- He has to request a FV application blank form from counselor
2- He must fill it and send it to his counselor
3- Counselor will then verify his eligibility for FV (if he is a lifer or has had recent 115 or has a history of domestic abuse / rape / childabuse) then he cannot have FV period.
4- Counselor will sign off on application and send it to his Captain who then must also approve and sign (not sure what the criteria are here, probably current behavior and write ups recent history).

THEN - and only then - will the paperwork make it to CO Allen. he will then assign you a date and call you to let you know.I recommend following up on this when you see him at visit on week-ends.

5- Approximately 2 weeks prior to the visit date you are to order food from either wolkenhorst or Access secure pack. You can order the food online from wolkenhorst website. but you cannot order food online from Access. To order from Access, ask CO Allen to hand you the catalogue for FV ("menu"). You then call access on the phone and give them the list of the items you want. The food is shipped directly to the prison(they have the address, don't worry) and that is what you will be eating during your two days of visit. the apartments have a fridge although nothing in those packages requires refrigeration, since it's all prison / cell friendly food. There is a electric stove in units but frankly, not much to "cook" in those selections. It's mostly ready meals you just need to heat up (there is a microwave). They do provide dishwasher liquid and dishes and sauce pans etc.

6- You must bring only one bag with you and it has to be see through. You can bring your own beauty supplies (shampoo etc) but they must be poured in clear travel bottles. You cannot bring anythig electric, such as hair dryer, curling iron etc etc. You can bring razor to shave yoru legs though LOL. Go figure. No tweezers are allowed. You can bring regular clothes, even lingerie, and 10 condoms. They do provide sheets and towels. They do not provide stuff to shower with such as shampoo body lotion etc.

7- Your inmate can bring regular clothes to FV, so while having FV, he does not have to wear the blue typical outfit they always wear on week-end visits.

8- You can spend some time outside in the little fenced in yards, but only once the sun is up and never after 6PM.

9- If you want to watch the sunset together, you can watch it from the doorway: leave the door open and stand just inside the door and I was told it is allowed.

10- You have to step out for one count a day to make sure you are alive and well, I believe it is at 6PM. They will call every couple hours (or 1.5 hrs i can't remember) throughout the night and your inmate has to pick up the phone to confirm he still here LOL.

11- there is a primitive stereo system in the unit but you cannot bring CDs. Your inmate can bring either 2 or 5 CDs, depending on who you ask, you get different replies. I'd say aim for 5 and see how it goes .

MAKE SURE THE PHONE NUMBER YOU LISTED ON YOUR APPLICATION IS UP TO DATE cause they will call you to give you a date or to let you know there is a lockdown and FV have been cancelled etc.

I THINK THIS SUMS IT ALL. I did ask a lot of questions, to gather all the info everyone needs to understand how this all works. Hope this helps.

Hope all above leave a blueprint for future visitor on how to go about obtaining a FV at LAC.

Current wait time to get a date for visit (as of this posting) is a tad over 2 months from approval date. So if you were approved today you might get a FV date of 10/30/2013. That varies greatly of course depending on who else is trying to get a FV at the same time. First come first serve.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you Jryder. His counselor is no help. We've had family visits before. I hope this process doesn't take long. How can I get his counselors ext?
Just so you know, calling the counselor is going to be an effort in futility.
It will serve no purpose other than aggravate you (cause they'll probably be very hard to reach) and waste their time (since they will not be able to help you anyway).

He / she is going to tell you (assuming you can even reach them or get them to call you back) that your husband needs to get the paperwork started. YOU cannot do it for him. HE has to do it.

The above is true also for regular visit visitor application (inmate must request the form and submit it), and it is true also for marriage application (inmate must request the form and submit it)... And it is true too for notary service (inmate must request the form and submit it to litigation).

So what you really need to do here, is have your husband get on it. Have him obtain the form. Have him fill it. Have him send it to his counselor AND have him follow up with him/her.

The above is what we did and it yielded good results for us.

My observation about prison red tape is that they have a system in place and they do not like to take short cuts. Your job is to understand the system and to follow it, but also to be persistent in following up the proper way. Some paperwork, the visitor can follow up at certain stages of the red tape process, while others, only the inmate can follow up.

With all above said, if you do want to reach the counselor for another reason, that is one process I have not done yet so I don't know their extension. It seems that calling records might be the only way to reach a live person, and then they can hopefully help you find the counselor's ext nb or route you to someone who can:

(661) 729-2000 then Records #5100

If above fails, and you visit on week-ends, you could ask Sgt Melendrez for that extention nb, and he might, as a favor (cause that is NOT his job and he is very busy as it is) be able to locate and give you the counselor's extention. You will need first to get the counselor's name from your husband. I'd try the first suggestion (call records) first before bothering Sgt Melendrez though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jryder For This Useful Post:
Luv0fHisLife (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM

He's requested the form 3 times and he's gotten no response.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
That's a bummer for sure. My hubby got his right away. He requested another form last week and they gave him two pretty darn quickly. I am sorry you are running into this trouble. I suggest you talk to Officer Allen or Sgt Melendrez tomorrow about this, see if they have any good suggestions for you. Both are very nice and usually very willing to help / offer guidance.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Yes LAC and she's correct I apologize its electric the level doesn't matter and yes I take 5 CD's
Really?? Allen told me no cds at all. I wonder if i try to bring a couple on my next visit will it be ok? I know my hubby is allowed to bring his.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's a bummer for sure. My hubby got his right away. He requested another form last week and they gave him two pretty darn quickly. I am sorry you are running into this trouble. I suggest you talk to Officer Allen or Sgt Melendrez tomorrow about this, see if they have any good suggestions for you. Both are very nice and usually very willing to help / offer guidance.
I keep trying to respond to your pm but my phone is not allowing me to. I will respond tomorrow at work.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent75 View Post
Really?? Allen told me no cds at all. I wonder if i try to bring a couple on my next visit will it be ok? I know my hubby is allowed to bring his.
No, YOU cannot bring ANY CDs, but HE can bring up to 5.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
You can mail him a blank FAMILY VISIT APPLICATION form if you have one, I checked and it is allowed. Just remember it will take a good 7 to 14 days for him to get your mail (and the form) but this way you can make a few copies and send him several blank forms for future use. He still has to send his completed application form to his counselor for approval, so you cannot bypass the counselor, but it might speed things up a tad since he will already have the forms at hand.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder

You can mail him a blank FAMILY VISIT APPLICATION form if you have one, I checked and it is allowed. Just remember it will take a good 7 to 14 days for him to get your mail (and the form) but this way you can make a few copies and send him several blank forms for future use. He still has to send his completed application form to his counselor for approval, so you cannot bypass the counselor, but it might speed things up a tad since he will already have the forms at hand.
Can't wait got my family visit October been such a long time so expensive he did my husband so excited thanks for all your help now I need to figure what I can bring what I can bring
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl760
Hello lady I get mine every other month
is that true no blow dryers at all
Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 AM

1- You must bring only one bag with you and it has to be see through. You can bring your own beauty supplies (shampoo etc) but they must be poured in clear travel bottles. You cannot bring anything electric, such as hair dryer, curling iron etc etc. You can bring razor to shave your legs though LOL. Go figure. No tweezers are allowed. You can bring regular clothes, even lingerie, and 10 condoms. They do provide sheets and towels. They do not provide stuff to shower with such as shampoo body lotion etc.

2- Your inmate can bring regular clothes to FV, so while having FV, he does not have to wear the blue typical outfit they always wear on week-end visits. he can bring up to 5 CDs (you cannot bring any CDs).
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder
1- You must bring only one bag with you and it has to be see through. You can bring your own beauty supplies (shampoo etc) but they must be poured in clear travel bottles. You cannot bring anything electric, such as hair dryer, curling iron etc etc. You can bring razor to shave your legs though LOL. Go figure. No tweezers are allowed. You can bring regular clothes, even lingerie, and 10 condoms. They do provide sheets and towels. They do not provide stuff to shower with such as shampoo body lotion etc.

2- Your inmate can bring regular clothes to FV, so while having FV, he does not have to wear the blue typical outfit they always wear on week-end visits. he can bring up to 5 CDs (you cannot bring any CDs).
thank you how about for kids
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Inmate Family Council

Arrow

Just wanted to let everyone know that the IFC-LAC is working on putting together a Family Visiting Guide.

By the way, we just completed a very detailed LAC visitor guide that walks you through the entire process of visiting an inmate at LAC on the week-end, step by step. A must read for anyone planning to visit someone at the Lancaster state prison, especially if it is your first time. The final draft has just been approved by the warden so it will soon be available

With this first guide now completed, we tackle Family Visits next. Both guides will be available as pdf documents for download by visiting our IFC-LAC website (coming soon!!). Once the website is up I will post the url here.

Meanwhile, I will attempt to continue answering any family visiting related questions best I can.

Remember IFC-LAC can always be reached via email:

Lancaster.ifc@gmail.com

Also, look for our suggestion forms and secure inbox at the visitor processing center. You will see our logo and poster there. All our contact information is located on bottom part of the poster. Suggestions can be made anonymously, we will not disclose your name to anyone, unless you authorize us to. So it is very safe to submit your questions, concerns, problems, or suggestions using the forms. Our inbox (black metal box with a lock on it) is locked and we are the only ones who have the key, so rest assured that no prison staff will read your form / comments.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM

I am posting the poster so you can have a visual as to what to look for. Please note that, to comply with PTO rules, the contact info has been removed from poster. But when you go to visiting and see the posters, you can read the contact info then and make notes. They usually have some business cards there too, at least I saw some in the visitor processing center.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM
PrettyBrwnEyez

Question Morning

Just a few things I was told by a lady and Mr Allen, n family visiting.

1) u can bring lingerie, oils, gels, lotions, hygiene products, and even a razor. If u bring liquids, they have to b n like travel size bottles & see through. U will have to pour the liquids into the bottles in front of them. Anything left over, they'll put up for u. I asked if OK to bring bar & liquid soaps cuz my daughter & I use different types. She said it's fine, just b n original wrapping & don't bring a lot.

2) u can bring games but they can't have play money or dice in them. So I bought Scrabble, dominoes, UNO and playing cards.

3) u can bring bed sheets, but when u leave those sheets stay. Does anyone know of any stores that sell inexpensive ones?

4) u cant bring anything for the men to use. I'm guess like products made for men, like soaps or cologne.

5) ur bag is to b see through also. Lady suggested using da bags the comforter sets come n. Luckily I had just bought one and it's like a duffel bag.

6) Allen & da lady said they won't store my cells while there. They did when I got married there, but she said it was just a courtesy thing being my wedding day. She suggested I make nice with another who is visiting too and store in their car. I'm not too keen on DAT idea even if person is nice, still a stranger. Any suggestions where I'd could store our cells? Traveling by bus so I need them being on da road. Been trying to find somewhere with maybe a locker for rent.

7) u can't bring CDs but if ur hubby has any, he can bring some.

That's all I know so far. Anxiously awaiting for the 27th to get here.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the info it was useful, cause I was just wondering about games today myself ... I think a lot is left to the discretion of the officer, because when I asked about bed sheets, they said they no longer allow them... So you'd better make sure that the bed sheets are approved by officer Allen himself, to be safe, ahead of time.

Here is an odd ball question: Can we bring paper and a pen to write with? To keep game score on etc... What about a bible or other religious books?

About sheets, I guess Ross Dress for less has some "cheap" ones... I got a full set of queen size purple sheets & pillows for under $20 there recently.

Next I would check Big Lots? Haven't been there in many many years, but it's a pretty large store, so maybe?

PS: Do the sheets need to be sealed, brand new in manufacturer packaging or can they be used?

Last edited by Jryder; 08-18-2013 at 08:20 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Can someone please help me?! We're trying to get a date and I'm confused... Inbox me please

Closed Thread