Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,593 Times in 2,182 Posts
Exclamation Hurricane Rita through a Beaumont Prison Inmate's eyes!

Here is the letter that i received from my husband today dated oct 3.. about his experience with Rita and here is what he had to say.

To my World,

I don't even know how or where to begin. I guess foremost I should say that it is by the grace of God alone that I am evenhere today, to write this letter. I know you've probably been calling and adminstration's been downplaying the situation to ALL the families. But the truth babe is these people left us here to Die. A Jefferson County judge ordered a "Mandatory" Evacuation for this COUNTY, the cities of Beaumont, Port Arthur, Bridge City and Orange ... All this out here and these folks threw us 3 deep in a cell when THEYwere evacuating. They got somewhere! All they did was take all the people livin out in the dorm aprox 650-700 inmate and moved them all to the buildings. They put one in the cell with the 2 guys already occupying it. We just camping out on the floor. Then they informed the media and families that if anything was to happen they would evacuate us.

LeBlanc and Gist unit all those inmates were loaded up on buses and taken to a big C-140and got flown to where ever. We packed like sardines in these tiny cells looking crazy... and when Hurricane Rita hit I swear to GOD baby I thought we were all gonna DIE!! It rocked this building like i never imagined weather could. That was 10 days ago now the Dorms were destroyed. The building where i lived roof ripped off. All our stuff lost, waterdamaged or blown away. We're still without power. The water is undrinkable (its brown) so now we're in here fighting and rioting for the minimal amount of Food and water they are giving us. All the trucks of MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) and water being brought in by FEMA is being taken by the guards for them and their families.

This county was declared a disaster. Buildings that i am used to seeing on a daily basis like the Kennel and farm shop are no long here .. They are just disappeared. Even the double layered Perimeter Fence was flat on the ground.

I'm alive and safe thank GOD! The conditions now are Dire and Barbaric... bit i will make it .

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Register
Donation Award 

Oh My God e-wife please tell your hubby this is awful and my thoughts and prayers are with you and him.

None of this surprises me, that inmates were treated like this

I am thankful that he is safe and alive.

softie
Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

How awful that they were treated like this.... I wish the media would air this stuff....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm Gonna Stay

e_wife03. I am from beaumont and all my family still lives there. Your husbands letter is very accurate. And I hope that all gets better. But from the looks of the damage in that area, it will take awhile. I wish it was something more we could do. Right now words from those trying to so call help are just that empty words. I pray all is well. I go back and forth to Beaumont if you want to PM me on details that I have seen.

Z-RO will be free
July 9, 2007

Old 10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Donation Award 

Yea it is crazy.. he said in the ending of the letter that the inmates are trying to get along with each other to a certain extent.. but that is only about so much.. now they are just all hungry and tired of these conditions. He says he is thankful that there is still a roof over his head, a place to sleep and something to eat when they do get.. What i dont understand is that they are saying they are gonna go ahead and have visits this weekend but not saying if there will be snacks or drinks in the machines in the vistation room. I dont understand this why are they having vists when they cant barely keep power, and they dont have anything for the inmates to drink or eat .. i guess they feel that this will calm them down if they see a loved one. Honestly i would love to see my husband but i rather wait until they have fed him, and he is able to tak a bath in clean water. I know to some i may be crazy but my husband's well being is my main priority.. i think by having visits they want the families to think everything is back running properly guess they feel that the inmates won't tell us the TRUTH! !

Thanks for the prayers and well wishing and dontmatter i maybe emailing you soon.
thanks again.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb
How awful that they were treated like this.... I wish the media would air this stuff....

Deb

honestly i think they would never let them find this out for fair that they will be compared to hurricane katrina and that situation with their prisoners..
Old 10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
He is Home!! Thank God!

I AM SO UPSET AFTER READING THIS. WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO OUR MEN!!! I AM SO MAD... I CANT SAY ANYTHING ELSE.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Ray's Girl
Donation Award 

Default stay strong

hun stay strong, and hopefully as the word gets out, conditins will get better for your inmate. lisa
Old 10-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Wishing you were here...
Donation Award 

OMG...I am SOO sorry to hear this!!!! But I can't say I'm suprised...after I heard that Rita hit Beaumont...I automatically thought about the prisons down there. I am so sorry that your husband has to go threw this (along with the MANY other men)...but as he said...atleast he has a roof over his head and he's still here to tell you what happened It's such a shame...they have a MANDATORY evacuation...and keep the prisoners there?!? Last time I check...they were HUMAN BEINGS...they are NOT animals...they DO NOT deserve that!!!!!
I hope that things get cleared up down there soon...atleast with the electricity, food and water!! It makes me sick that the guards and their families are getting the food...what about the people in prison?!?! They have NO other way to get food...atleast the guards could get their OWN! URGH...it's just NOT right!!! As you said e_wife...they are probably trying to have visits...so the families will think that it's not "that bad" in there...I hope all the prisoners let them know what's really going on!! Then hopefully the families will raise he** and get something done there...b/c there's power in numbers!!!! You, your hubby, and EVERYONE affected by ALL the hurricanes...you are ALL in my thoughts!!! Hugs
-Jackie
Old 10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Loving Life Now!!

I'm not saying that what your husband says is wrong Jillian..not by any means..but Brandon was there too, during the hurricane, and he said it wasn't too bad..he slept through it. Maybe he was in a different part of Stiles.
I DO have to tell you though, that Gist guys didn't get moved anywhere by plane. There were moved over to LeBlanc on Saturday night and went without food for 18 hours, then on Sunday night were loaded on buses and moved to Tennessee Colony. I heard through the grapevine that LeBlanc guys got moved to Connolly Unit by plane though.
I know it hasn't been a picnic for any of the guys down there.

Nance
Old 10-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,763 Times in 1,586 Posts

This is BS for sure.. But the more people that bring these things the light, the better the chances people are held accountable over it. If you have a loved one in the affected area, please have them write a story about it and we will shine as much attention as we can on it.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Loving Life Now!!

I'll talk to Brandon tomorrow and see if he'll write down exactly what happened where he was and send it to me. He started out at Gist, moved to Stiles, then LeBlanc, and is now in Tennessee Colony.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Donation Award 

From what i understood from someone up there at the prison.. a sgt.. he said that they werent locked up together.. they kept the prisoners from the different prison seperated .. i know brandon had it hard as well as the others has had it hard.. I just think that its unfair to not have moved Stiles along with everyone else in that prison cluster. there is no way to justify that.

Nance stiles is a very big prison and for them to house them the way that they did is crazy .. they made room for the other prisons to bring in their men which is understandable but i think they should have mooved them along time ago when the mandatory evacuation started.. YOu wouldnt have to worry if Brandon like you did cause you would have known that they were moved to safety andwas ok or anyone else .

What does this tell the inmates at Stiles that the other prisoners at the other units lives meant more to the state of texas than theirs. That they are not worth saving.. come on shouldn't they all been removed and treated equally? In my opinion an inmate is no less of human than someone who is out in the free world.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Site Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

My son who is in Hightower, was moved along with 260 others to the gym - a metal building with one bathroom, and gave up their cells to prisoners evacuated to their unit. He said it was scary, but not much different than an F5 tornado. When I called the hotline and asked why they weren't evacuated when all of the county was evacuated, the answer was, "The whole county didn't evacuate. The prison employees are still there as well as the first responders and the people who wouldn't evacuate." Duh!

Old 10-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

I am so sorry for what your husband is going through, for what all the men there are going through. That is insane! Can attention to brought to the conditions via the governor, media? I will pray for your husband. Peace Be Still
Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Loving Life Now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_wife03
From what i understood from someone up there at the prison.. a sgt.. he said that they werent locked up together.. they kept the prisoners from the different prison seperated .. i know brandon had it hard as well as the others has had it hard.. I just think that its unfair to not have moved Stiles along with everyone else in that prison cluster. there is no way to justify that.

Nance stiles is a very big prison and for them to house them the way that they did is crazy .. they made room for the other prisons to bring in their men which is understandable but i think they should have mooved them along time ago when the mandatory evacuation started.. YOu wouldnt have to worry if Brandon like you did cause you would have known that they were moved to safety andwas ok or anyone else .

What does this tell the inmates at Stiles that the other prisoners at the other units lives meant more to the state of texas than theirs. That they are not worth saving.. come on shouldn't they all been removed and treated equally? In my opinion an inmate is no less of human than someone who is out in the free world.
Oh, I definately agree, and I realize that Stiles is huge..that's why I said that I didn't doubt what your husband said Jilly. I just know that the part where Brandon was apparently wasn't AS bad. The whole city is still a shambles, from what a coworker of mine says. She's from Nederland and her family is still struggling down there.

Nance
Old 10-07-2005, 07:41 PM
He is home now

Have you seen the pictures of the stiles unit dorms that wore tore up? I dont know if I can post them here or I would

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
"innocent and DNA set them FREE
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 PM
He is home now

Default Pictures of Stiles Damage

Here is the damage at the stiles unit. By the way, these pics are from a TDCJ website and they are of 2 dorms. Imagine being there with the way those roofs were torn back like sardine cans. Oh, and he is right they were not moved until the very last minute. According to a TDCJ site I visited when the governor was giving his speech about the evacuations already in progress, TDCJ haulted the evacuations. Buses were on the freeways for some 14 odd hours. Guards were instructed to drive the vehicles to the designated areas at their expense and guards had to pull some 18-20 hour shifts while other guards were at locations with no inmates to "supervise". Funny thing is, it is said that TDCJ is wanting to gain reimbursement for overtime from FEMA but TDCJ doesnt pay overtime. Hmmmmm. Is that Fraud? This particular site said that it should be reported to FEMA so............... it was. Just doing my homework. : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stiles damage.jpg (46.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Stiles2.jpg (42.1 KB, 82 views)

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith

Last edited by sonnysgirl; 10-07-2005 at 08:10 PM..
Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks so much sonny for the pictures .. i do understand y my husband and all those inmates were scared for their life.. That is why i am so upset that the 2 other prisons that was housed in Stiles unit were moved to safer places and the inmates at stiles have NEVER been moved and were NEVER gonna be moved.. I am so upset right now.. How could they do that how could you move 2 units and not all 3 what the h$ll is that about?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:51 AM

If my husband were in that situation, I'd be upset too. And he wouldn't be taking it NEARLY as well as your husband. My husband was at a unit were inmates were evacuated to. They housed about 600 inmates on the floor of the gym at his unit for almost a week.

What really makes me the sickest about your husband's letter is that he says the guards are taking the water that FEMA is bringing for them. I have friends in Beaumont and Port Arthur who are back in their homes. Things are beginning to get back to normal there, as normal as can be expected. People in the free world have those things available to them, they don't have to steal it from helpless inmates!

Fed-Ex is right. Someone has to be held accountable for this in the end. More inmates like your husband are going to have to write their stories and get them out there to let people know how they've been mistreated. It's completely unacceptable to leave these men to die in the middle of a hurricane. If that had happened to my husband I'd be sitting in Rick Perry's office until someone heard me out, or until someone kicked me out!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Account Closed

MAN....I am speechless. I can't believe...Jillian I am so sorry that your husband and everone else that is there had to go through all of that. I think that all this needs to be brought to attention to the media...that is BS............
Old 10-08-2005, 11:07 AM
He is home now

yOU NEED TO LET THE GOVERNOR AND THE STATE SENATORS KNOW ABOUT IT AND Ray Hill from the prison show. That will get th word out

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Donation Award 

thanks you guys i am already getting numbers of contacts and getting ready to call them.. this morning i got up and i barely had a voice but it is coming back now . so i shall be able to make the calls .. thanks again for all yall good advice
Old 10-08-2005, 12:38 PM
He is home now

These are two important figures that deal with TDCJ that I would contact and the link for the governor. I hope this helps. Here is an excerpt from another inmate at the Stiles.

" ALSO RECIEVED A LETTER TODAY FROM MY EX SON INLAW AND BASICALLY SAID THE A SAME THING AS WGAT WAS WRITTEN TO YOU. HE IS ALSO IN STILES AND HAS BEEN THERE FOR OVER 5 YRS NOW. HE SAID THE HEAT WAS UNBERABLE DO TO NO POWER AND HOW CRAMPED THEY WERE. I WAS WONDERING WHY THEY WERE NOT EVECUATED AND WHEN I TRIED TO FIND OUT WHY A FEW WEEKS AGO, I WAS HUNG UP ON AND TALKED TO VERY RUDELY. THE GUARDS ACT LIKE WE CAN'T BE CONCERNED ABOUT OUR LOVE ONES. I THINK SOME
OF THE GUARDS SHOULD BE LOCKED UP. "

Senator John Whitmire
803 Yale Street
Houston, Texas 77007
(713) 864-8701
(713) 864-5287 (fax)
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t15/dist15.htm

Terri Hodge, State Rep
District Office
4032 Swiss Ave.
Dallas, TX 75204
(214) 824-1996
(214) 828-2330 Fax
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist100/hodge.htm

Governor Rick Perry
http://www.governor.state.tx.us/contact

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith

Last edited by sonnysgirl; 10-08-2005 at 12:42 PM..
Old 10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
He is home now

This was posted by on a TDCJ officer website. If I get in trouble....... oops but here... go check it out on their site. YOu cant see all they post but they do have news items you can read. My thing is that if the employess are upset with the way things are handled and the inmates are upset then something is wrong. But we already knew that.

http://www.***********.com/modules.p...rticle&sid=364

TDCJ inmates are again on the move, this time they are headed back for thier original units of assignment.....

CT Terrell, in Rosharon, will bring back as many as 200 inmates today, with the rest to follow over the next few days. Clemens and Retrieve will initiate the same process over the next couple of days as well. Most staff that were polled on the subject on TDCJ admin's handeling of the evacuation were very critical. Last minute decisions, poor communication, poor orders out of Huntsville, and the lack of a staffing plan were at the top of the list.

Some of the evacuated units had officers sitting around doing nothing, with no inmates, while others were working thier staff 18-20 hrs a day without relief. Thier was no attempt to resolve these issues officers say. Also, officers that were sent to northern units to maintain security of their transferred inmates were required to use thier personal vehicles to get there. Many of whom were buried in the mass exodus outbound on one of Houston's freeways.

TDCJ waited until the last possible moment to order evacuations on the southern units. Bus drivers were required to drive non-stop for up to 14 hrs a day. It seems that a state agency that is charged with these duties would be able to pull them off, or have a plan to enact when this issue faces our units and staff. The well being of staff and staff families is the furthest thing in the minds of TDCJ administrators. Although some southern units had a plan before the storm turned this way, and the admin on those units are to be commended, most in region 3 failed. And failed miserably. As the governor was making his statement that TDCJ units had been evacuated in region 3, little did he know they had not. The order to evacuate was lifted as per Huntsville after approx. 200 inmates from Ramsey one were already outbound on buses.

At that time, the storm was still headed towards that area of Brazoria county. I think many people will be asking alot of serious questions in the next few weeks, and i hope for the sake of staff that TDCJ can come together and find a common ground with communication, staff safety, and better prepardness. Thank god no one was injured.

Submitted Story; 9/25/05

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith