Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Kentucky that do not fit into any other Kentucky sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Waiting for my man

Default Husband injured in Boone Co. Jail, in solitary. How to get him help?

My husband is in Boone county jail. I talked with him on Sunday and he broke his arm. He says he fell off his bunk but in code told me someone did it. He has to have surgery and he's being held in solitary.

Is there anything I can do? File a complaint? The jail needs to be held liable for inmate's safety.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,182 Times in 15,224 Posts

Oh man! I hate to hear that! I went 'round & 'round with another county facility a few years back (per My Mr's request).

He's most likely being held in The Hole for his own protection....either because of his injury or maybe "they know" he didn't fall off his bunk. Either way, not much you can do about that. As long as he receives medical attention (even mediocre medical attention), there's not much you can do on the issue either.

If/when he goes out for surgery, no one will tell you. They won't tell you when he's scheduled to go, won't tell you he's gone for surgery, won't tell you what hospital he's at....so be prepared for that, and its very nerve-wracking. Been there, Done that.

You're not going to get very far in trying to hold the jail accountable unless they've displayed something along the lines of Gross Negligence IMHO.

Before you do anything, talk to your husband and ask him if he wants you to call anyone / do anything on his behalf.

I hate that you & him are having to go through this and I do hope he recovers quickly. Please keep us informed on his condition....and vent if you need to, we've got big shoulders

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
astafford07 (07-05-2017), sass4221 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

KY jail medical care is a terrible problem to have. It's just plain bad all over.

If, heaven forbid, you have to get into a struggle with the county in order to get medical treatment to happen, the lawyer whose name keeps coming up is Greg Belzley: http://profiles.superlawyers.com/ken...d86e42c69.html
Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Waiting for my man

Got a letter from him today. He said the break happened 6/25. All they did was put an ace wrap on it and tell him it wasn't life threatening. He wrote a complaint about their negligence so last Friday they took him to a doctor and he needs to get a plate put in.

I know they won't tell me about his surgery. They won't tell him. It just makes me so mad. They want to stick all these guys together, they need to be liable for their safety. He didn't just fall down and scrape his knee. He got his arm bone snapped in half.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

>they need to be liable for their safety

You're right legally and you're right ethically.

Here's what you're up against.
Quote:
For the most part, private medical providers are not subject to independent oversight.
“There is no inspection/investigation of the quality of medical care,” said Louisville attorney Greg Belzley, who has filed numerous lawsuits alleging that deficient health care has caused or contributed to deaths or near-deaths among prisoners in Kentucky jails.
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news...entucky-jails/
Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,694 Times in 2,861 Posts

Since he's in county, does he have a case pending? If so, talk to his attorney.

Belzley is good but he usually only gets involved in life-threatening or death cases.