Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:52 PM

Default USP Leavenworth visitation: What can I wear? How long are visits?

Hello, new here! Was wondering if anyone can give me any information on visitation at USP Leavenworth? What can and can't I wear? How long do visits usually last? Anything is helpful!! Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2017, 06:19 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,120 Times in 10,782 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here's the link to the bop USP Leavenworth web page and visitation rules which will answer many of your questions.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/lvn/
Old 07-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Leavenworth visitation

Thanks!! I've looked at that already. Just from reading posts on here it sounds like the dress code varies from each prison and that's just general type info on there.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkjonaas For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Do you have specific questions? Maybe that would help. I don't know anyone there, but have visited a few USP locations. Dress code was the same at both. Usually jeans are ok as long as they aren't ripped or torn. No high heels, no open toe sandals, and no green, camo, or yellow. I would take something very basic in the car to change into, just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-19-2017)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjonaas View Post
Hello, new here! Was wondering if anyone can give me any information on visitation at USP Leavenworth? What can and can't I wear? How long do visits usually last? Anything is helpful!! Thanks in advance!!

How was your visit ? My husband is going there to finish his time so Iím just trying to get as much info on visits as I can
Old 02-04-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysizzle View Post
How was your visit ? My husband is going there to finish his time so I’m just trying to get as much info on visits as I can
Hello,
Visitation hours and dress code are on the Leavenworth website and make sure to follow the dress code. They get 24 visiting points per month, Saturday and Sunday are 2 points per hour and Friday and Monday it's 1 point per hour. The fifth number of his inmate number depends on the weekend you can visit. My husbands is a odd number so our visits are on the 1st and 3rd weekend of each month. Friday's and Mondays are open to everyone. Visiting starts at 8 am and lasts until about 2:45. They have one of the smallest visitation rooms of all prisons so if it's overcrowded, you may be asked to leave. I travel 7 hours to get there so I'm not usually asked to leave. You will check in at one building and go through the security process and then you will walk from that building to the actual prison where you will go through another security point and then into the visitation room. You are allowed one tasteful hug and kiss at the beginning and end of the visit and you can also hold hands throughout the visit. There are vending machines that you need to bring quarters for, in a see through sandwich bag, and it's not supposed to be more than $20 but they don't check the amount. They do have a change machine there but it was empty twice when I went so I now just make sure to bring my own quarters. The guards are pretty decent for the most part but you will get some bad ones in the rotation. As long as you follow the rules, you'll be fine! Let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Last edited by dkjonaas; 02-04-2018 at 03:52 PM..
fbopnomore (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Hello,
Visitation hours and dress code are on the Leavenworth website and make sure to follow the dress code. They get 24 visiting points per month, Saturday and Sunday are 2 points per hour and Friday and Monday it's 1 point per hour. The fifth number of his inmate number depends on the weekend you can visit. My husbands is a odd number so our visits are on the 1st and 3rd weekend of each month. Friday's and Mondays are open to everyone. Visiting starts at 8 am and lasts until about 2:45. They have one of the smallest visitation rooms of all prisons so if it's overcrowded, you may be asked to leave. I travel 7 hours to get there so I'm not usually asked to leave. You will check in at one building and go through the security process and then you will walk from that building to the actual prison where you will go through another security point and then into the visitation room. You are allowed one tasteful hug and kiss at the beginning and end of the visit and you can also hold hands throughout the visit. There are vending machines that you need to bring quarters for, in a see through sandwich bag, and it's not supposed to be more than $20 but they don't check the amount. They do have a change machine there but it was empty twice when I went so I now just make sure to bring my own quarters. The guards are pretty decent for the most part but you will get some bad ones in the rotation. As long as you follow the rules, you'll be fine! Let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have.

I will be traveling 4 1/2 hrs there & 4 1/2 back so should I get there extra early ? I just donít want to ever be asked to leave if itís overcrowded. Also his 5th inmate # is a 3 so will my visiting days be the same as yours? Thanks for all the info super helpful!
Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I will be traveling 4 1/2 hrs there & 4 1/2 back so should I get there extra early ? I just donít want to ever be asked to leave if itís overcrowded. Also his 5th inmate # is a 3 so will my visiting days be the same as yours? Thanks for all the info super helpful!
Yes, you will have the same visiting weekends. If you get there right at 8 it takes a little bit to get processed. You need to make sure your there by 9:30 otherwise you have to wait until count is over so then you won't be let in until 11. I haven't really seen to many people asked to leave lately but it does happen, especially around the holidays. I wouldn't worry and they will see that you travel from far. I think my husband talked to his counselor to have it put in the computer to not be asked to leave since I travel so far
fbopnomore (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, you will have the same visiting weekends. If you get there right at 8 it takes a little bit to get processed. You need to make sure your there by 9:30 otherwise you have to wait until count is over so then you won't be let in until 11. I haven't really seen to many people asked to leave lately but it does happen, especially around the holidays. I wouldn't worry and they will see that you travel from far. I think my husband talked to his counselor to have it put in the computer to not be asked to leave since I travel so far

Okay thanks so much! Last question do you know a cheap way to send money to them Iím using western union & they charge like $6 if you send $40+ so I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Okay thanks so much! Last question do you know a cheap way to send money to them Iím using western union & they charge like $6 if you send $40+ so I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative?
I use western union too. The fee sucks but it goes right in the account within a hour or so. You can use a postal money order that you would have to mail and they put that right into the account. If you use a regular money order they hold it for so many days before putting it in. The minimum I put in is $100 and it's like $8.95 so it seems not as bad. The more you use it, the more points you get and you can apply them to the fee.
fbopnomore (02-05-2018)