Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,358 Times in 3,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Didn't update but I've now sent several books to several people at CCA Red Rock without any problem through Barnes and noble
Looks like Barnes and Noble is a safe bet at the moment. Lets hope they dont change their minds again.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,151 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Looks like Barnes and Noble is a safe bet at the moment. Lets hope they dont change their minds again.
Safe for CCA facilities from the experiences posted. Doesn't work for GEO/Kingman.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 AM

I just ordered CDs from Best Buy and had to get on the phone with customer service to complete the shipping info. The BB website simply wouldn't accept the name & address in the format that ADC requires. The customer service rep got it to work by entering the P.O. box in the field for "First Name". The order has already shipped, but I wonder if he will actually receive it. I'll let you know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZski For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-11-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:54 PM

I am at a loss as to where to order music CDs for my daughter in minimum security at ASPC-Perryville. She was told Best Buy, Walmart.com, Target.com and Christianbookstore. (I see on these Arizona threads that christianbook.com is listed, not christianbookstore. Anyway, after spending hours on Walmart.com going through lists of music cds and forming an order, and ensuring that the item is not coming from a Walmart.com third party vendor, just sold and shipped by Walmart.com, I find out from an online customer service rep that they cannot ship by the post office to a post office box and need a street address for their carrier. They apparently use UPS, not the post office. From the ADOC website, I see packages have to come directly from the vendors via US mail to the prison P.O. Box for that prison complex. So I had to forget the order for Walmart. Then I go to Target.com, and they cannot guarantee packages sent by mail will not be rejected and returned to them, as carriers often require someone to sign for the package. Plus, each item, when you click on Shipping questions, will tell you if an item can be sent to a P.O. Box (better info than Walmart gave me). However, every single music cd or book says that the item cannot be sent to a post office box. So now I am in a quandry as to what to do. The best buy site will not tell me if they ship to post office boxes at all. I sent a letter to my daughter as to whether the christian site was christianbookstore or christianbook, but I have not heard from her in 3 weeks. She asked for and is waiting for some cds, since she had some money on her books to buy a little radio/cd player, and I just do not know what to do to send her the cds or where to buy them at now. I see no posts on here about ASPC Perryville. Can anyone help me figure this out, please? Very recent experiences with ordering cds successfully will help.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:06 AM

Default Did your CD order go through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZski View Post
I just ordered CDs from Best Buy and had to get on the phone with customer service to complete the shipping info. The BB website simply wouldn't accept the name & address in the format that ADC requires. The customer service rep got it to work by entering the P.O. box in the field for "First Name". The order has already shipped, but I wonder if he will actually receive it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Was just wondering if your cd order went through to your loved one okay? Tryig to figure out where I can order cds for my daughter at ASPC Perryville.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri's mom View Post
Was just wondering if your cd order went through to your loved one okay? Tryig to figure out where I can order cds for my daughter at ASPC Perryville.

Yes it did. For CDs, try Best Buy, Target, Walmart or musicbymail. Some of the online shipping pages don't allow commas, so I just put his ADC number after his last name, after a space.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM

For CDs, I have successfully ordered and he has received CDs from Walmart.com, target.com and bestbuy.com. As you already discovered, with Walmart.com you have to make sure it is coming from Walmart and not from a 3rd party 'marketplace' seller.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,507 Posts

If you're still in doubt, call and talk to the mailroom for where he's at. They can give you the specifics... It seems to vary from facility to facility.
Fridyrr.Likn (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Does anyone know about ASPC Florence? SOuth Unit to be specific? I'm not sure who exactly to call. I've only ever spoken to the visitation people at the prison. I just know he said things are accepted from outside vendors but he wasn't sure who. Someone mentioned calling the mail room... is that what I should do?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwag5150 View Post
Does anyone know about ASPC Florence? SOuth Unit to be specific? I'm not sure who exactly to call. I've only ever spoken to the visitation people at the prison. I just know he said things are accepted from outside vendors but he wasn't sure who. Someone mentioned calling the mail room... is that what I should do?
You can always call the mail room. Many members have had success sending from Walmart and Best Buy.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 AM

Has anyone ever ordered cassettes? My friend is in Eyman and i called them, I just couldn't get a straight answer. I found a website called Inmate Jukebox which sells cassettes and I would like to order him a couple. They refused 2 books that I ordered (because they were hardcover-I didn't know), so I am a little bit leery of the mail room now.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM

I asked the same question and at Florence the mailroom said no outside vendors and now at Kingman they are saying Barnes and Noble, Wal-Mart and a few other places but there are also rules with each and they change regularly. I had a very long talk with the mailroom seargent at Kingman yesterday about tons of reasons why things get rejected. You guys should really call and ask. I was amazed.
The Following User Says Thank You to shwag5150 For This Useful Post:
Shelby67 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I asked the same question and at Florence the mailroom said no outside vendors and now at Kingman they are saying Barnes and Noble, Wal-Mart and a few other places but there are also rules with each and they change regularly. I had a very long talk with the mailroom seargent at Kingman yesterday about tons of reasons why things get rejected. You guys should really call and ask. I was amazed.
Like what can you give some examples please... I know of the basics like outside vendors, hardcovers, certain things they have deemed inappropriate content like game of thrones books and mags that show nudity but what else are you referring to?? Always good to learn some new things...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Shelby67 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM
here

Hardcover books aren't allowed?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM

He told me that orders can take up to a month because they have to be reviewed meticulously and they are looked up online and scanned for keywords. So let's say there is a murder scene or sex scene in a book... he said there is a fine line for what is allowed and it can't go in to much detail as to encourage such behavior. Like if it describes the murder in detail vs kind of mentions it. Or he said magazines have been denied because there have been ads in the back with a woman with body paint on and that's considered nude even though she's fully painted even if a woman in a bikini is allowed. He said for sex offenders if there is an ad for diapers with a picture of a baby in a diaper it will be denied even if it's like a Christian magazine. I asked if they can just rip the stuff out and he said no that it has to be formally requested to some office in Phoenix and then reviewed and when something is denied the inmate has 90 days to have it sent back to you or the vendor or whatever else, at their cost for shipping. No hard covers. Also he said music is a big issue right now because a lot of rap talks about violence, murder, and assault on law enforcement and gets denied immediately. He told me something about Google having a website for the books where you can search key words but I don't remember what it was. So basically I decided if I'm going to send something, I need to see it and review it in person before I waste money possibly having it sent back. He said a whole lot. It was good information but crazy. Then again, it's prison so what can I really say? At least Kingman accepts stuff because Florence didn't... at least South Unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to shwag5150 For This Useful Post:
Shelby67 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Hardcover books aren't allowed?
I know, right? I sent 2 at the start of last month and they would't let him have them. He asked them to cut the covers off, they refused. I rang and asked the same thing, they still refused saying that it alters the book. I paid for it and I am giving the permission.... Sigh. So, I am scared to send a cassette (he cannot have cd's) in case they look for a reason to reject it.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:18 PM

I successfully ordered CDs of Christian rap and Christian hip hop from Best Buy.com and the same kind of Christian rap and hip hop and regular Christian gospel music from Christianbook.com. They accepted it at Perryville women's prison where my daughter is. It took about a week for Christianbook.com to get to her and Best Buy.com less than a week. Christianbook.com has lots of reasonable music on sale, good prices. Have not sent any books, but I think that would be a good place to order them from, as long as you make sure they are soft cover books and no spiral bound. Seems like they know if it's Christian rap or hip hop, it's no bad words, sexual or anti-cop lyrics.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I successfully ordered CDs of Christian rap and Christian hip hop from Best Buy.com and the same kind of Christian rap and hip hop and regular Christian gospel music from Christianbook.com. They accepted it at Perryville women's prison where my daughter is. It took about a week for Christianbook.com to get to her and Best Buy.com less than a week. Christianbook.com has lots of reasonable music on sale, good prices. Have not sent any books, but I think that would be a good place to order them from, as long as you make sure they are soft cover books and no spiral bound. Seems like they know if it's Christian rap or hip hop, it's no bad words, sexual or anti-cop lyrics.
One CD I ordered from Christianbook.com was called Holy Hip Hop. They have a wide range of Christian music, not just gospel. There was even some Hispanic language religious music.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Crazy how I never think of women in prison when I read these threads!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby67 View Post
I know, right? I sent 2 at the start of last month and they would't let him have them. He asked them to cut the covers off, they refused. I rang and asked the same thing, they still refused saying that it alters the book. I paid for it and I am giving the permission.... Sigh. So, I am scared to send a cassette (he cannot have cd's) in case they look for a reason to reject it.
Maybe its a unit/classification thing. I've ordered hardcover books before and he got them just fine.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Maybe its a unit/classification thing. I've ordered hardcover books before and he got them just fine.
I remember reading it in the manual several years ago, so there was either a no hardcover rule or a paperback only provision. I haven't looked to see if it has changed in the past 3 years.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Liz

Quote:
He told me that orders can take up to a month because they have to be reviewed meticulously and they are looked up online and scanned for keywords. So let's say there is a murder scene or sex scene in a book... he said there is a fine line for what is allowed and it can't go in to much detail as to encourage such behavior. Like if it describes the murder in detail vs kind of mentions it. Or he said magazines have been denied because there have been ads in the back with a woman with body paint on and that's considered nude even though she's fully painted even if a woman in a bikini is allowed. He said for sex offenders if there is an ad for diapers with a picture of a baby in a diaper it will be denied even if it's like a Christian magazine. I asked if they can just rip the stuff out and he said no that it has to be formally requested to some office in Phoenix and then reviewed and when something is denied the inmate has 90 days to have it sent back to you or the vendor or whatever else, at their cost for shipping. No hard covers. Also he said music is a big issue right now because a lot of rap talks about violence, murder, and assault on law enforcement and gets denied immediately. He told me something about Google having a website for the books where you can search key words but I don't remember what it was. So basically I decided if I'm going to send something, I need to see it and review it in person before I waste money possibly having it sent back. He said a whole lot. It was good information but crazy. Then again, it's prison so what can I really say? At least Kingman accepts stuff because Florence didn't... at least South Unit.
My son got tired of getting contraband noticed fir his magazines so he puts in a review request for his mens health magazines. Kingman cerbat blocks things out and then gives them to him. But, other magazines they don't give him notice or anything. He received only 2 editions of a year subscription for Entertainment Weekly. Readers Digest is one of the few he al wats receives. Guess there are no questionable ads and no one else wants to keep it.

The frustrating part is cerbat a 2 yard denies a magazine but he knows the same one is being admitted to a state run 3 yard. That is why he started challenging it.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,358 Times in 3,945 Posts

I have sent my friend in Arizona ASPC Lewis magazines from a site that gives free magazine subscriptions as a reward for completing surveys and he has received them all so far Sports Illustrated , CQ and Mens Health.
He has also recieved books via Barnes and Noble and Walmart but books from Booksamillion and Amazon were refused.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (01-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:20 PM

As far as I know Music by Mail is accepted on all the yards. The specialize in inmate music sales
Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 PM

I just sent 2 books from hamiltonbook.com to CCA Red Rock so I will update if he gets them i have never heard of hamilton book before but everything was discount!