Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,212 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisPrettyBird View Post
Which VS sports bra do you guys have? The one I have has metal hooks and obviously all of my normal bras from them have hooks. I resorted to buying a cheap front-closure bra from Target (all the connections are plastic) and cut the underwire out. But it's only mildly better than the uni boob from a sports bra.
The VS one that I wear there I think was under their lounge type collection. It has a wide band of material underneath the cups, separate cups, v neck in front and the straps cross in the back that have plastic slides for adjusting the straps. With my arm neuropathy and being small hipped, I pull it on from my feet up because I can't do it over my head. I am a 34 D and it provides enough support for the day. Sports bras make me feel compressed although I do have a good one from VS but it would never make it through the metal detector. I just looked at their website and didn't see the one I bought last year but there do appear to be some that might work. Hard to tell without seeing them to inspect for metal.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 PM

Does anyone have dress code information specific to Marana CCTF? I am an attorney--so if I wear a skirt suit and heels that I would typically wear to a prison (haven't been to Marana), will that be acceptable if I am on a personal visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
I know all the rules, but how do y'all switch it up to keep things interesting? I'm a very modest person so I have no problem with the regulations put in place and I think they are there for good reason but I know sometimes it's nice to not be there in the same jeans and black t-shirt every time! Hubby loves a maxi skirt and tailored button up blouse, but he loves jeans and a shirt too!

What's your go to visit outfit?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky71013 View Post
Does anyone have dress code information specific to Marana CCTF? I am an attorney--so if I wear a skirt suit and heels that I would typically wear to a prison (haven't been to Marana), will that be acceptable if I am on a personal visit?
I would say that as long as it follows ADC policy to the letter, it should be OK. Just make sure there is nothing to set off the metal detector.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,826 Times in 1,645 Posts

I have a question for you: reading the Prison Handbook of NC under dress code it states all kind of things like the usual, no spandex, no see-through stuff, no short shorts, etc., and the last time I visited him I had a regular bra on (with wires) with no problem whatsoever.
Now he was moved to a different facility and the first time his Mom went to see him they wouldn't let her in because of her bra. She wanted to take it off right then and there but no chance.
So I've bought a wireless bra and I will wear "decent" clothes (probably chinos or jeans, no belt, shirt of some kind). Will call the prison when I start packing to make sure I have all the details.
So my question is: if it's not in the handbook can each facility make their own rules?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,742 Posts

I'm not sure about other states...but in AZ the rules at each facility are vastly different. The sensitivity on the metal detectors and magneto poles are vastly different. Even within a single prison it often depends on who is working visitation check in.
IzzyLouWho (03-27-2017), MizzyMuffling (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,826 Times in 1,645 Posts

Best to call the prison before I start packing, thank you!
Fridyrr.Likn (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 PM

For sure vastly different at each place and then within each place bc I see each guard being so different w some guards saying no way to the underwire bra and I've seen others tell a woman to just not wear it again but let her in w it but then crack down on things that don't seem to make sense n on things I have not seen in the policies so I find what works and keepnwearing the same stuff bc of how unpredictable it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
K6770 (08-05-2017), MizzyMuffling (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I've gotten to where I wear long elastic waist maxi skirts and a plain t shirt nearly every visit. No metal at all and nothing to argue about. Boring but any time I see a knit fabric I like I'll make a new skirt out of it so at least there's new prints occasionally.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM
here

I have a pair o jeans, two pairs of shorts (the exact same so hen one wear out, I have a backup) and like three shirts that have made it through multiple time. It's the only things I wear, and I've even set it all aside from my daily clothes so it will last longer, and not wear out as fast.
Probably being a little paranoid, but he even said he wants to see me and doesn't care one bit what I have on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-01-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
I have a pair o jeans, two pairs of shorts (the exact same so hen one wear out, I have a backup) and like three shirts that have made it through multiple time. It's the only things I wear, and I've even set it all aside from my daily clothes so it will last longer, and not wear out as fast.
Probably being a little paranoid, but he even said he wants to see me and doesn't care one bit what I have on.

My wife and I just had our first visit with our son yesterday. The clothing issue was quite a learning experience. The "no spandex" rule seems to mean "nothing too tight," whether that's yoga pants or sweats, except for jeans. Jeans seem to be ok no matter how they fit. Luckily my wife had a different pair of sweats in the car that were a little looser than the ones she was wearing when we first walked in.
They are also very serious about necklines of shirts being above the collar bone, and nothing sheer, even with a shirt underneath that completely meets their standards.
Being first timers, we got lots of advice from other women visiting LOs. Keep extra clothes in your car so you have options. One said never wear skirts no matter what, because the rules change depending on who is on duty and what kind of mood they are in.
The whole experience was quite a revelation in slut shaming and double standards. None of the male visitors had any hassles about their clothing.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZski View Post
My wife and I just had our first visit with our son yesterday. The clothing issue was quite a learning experience. The "no spandex" rule seems to mean "nothing too tight," whether that's yoga pants or sweats, except for jeans. Jeans seem to be ok no matter how they fit. Luckily my wife had a different pair of sweats in the car that were a little looser than the ones she was wearing when we first walked in.
They are also very serious about necklines of shirts being above the collar bone, and nothing sheer, even with a shirt underneath that completely meets their standards.
Being first timers, we got lots of advice from other women visiting LOs. Keep extra clothes in your car so you have options. One said never wear skirts no matter what, because the rules change depending on who is on duty and what kind of mood they are in.
The whole experience was quite a revelation in slut shaming and double standards. None of the male visitors had any hassles about their clothing.
It really does depend on the facility and who's working. I'm glad you got in to see your love one but sorry it was a hassle. Where were you visiting?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:07 PM

At Tucson they have not been letting people go back to their car to change anymore saying once you r up there u r up and can't go back to ur car for any reason and if clothes r rejected they don't come in no chance to change them - don't know if that's new but they just r not letting people go back to their cars n return
Old 04-03-2017, 01:07 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZski View Post
Part of the problem is that the rules are very open to interpretation; which is the opinion of who is at the desk at the time. AZ rules are some of the worst "legal" documents I have ever read when it comes to being unclear and not providing any real answers to most things. All of the facilities seem to concentrate on the no collar bone thing. Are cap sleeves sleeveless? That depends on who is there. I frequently wear a t-shirt with a blouse overtop it and don't get any problems with that so far. Skirts, length to my knee or longer, and not a forbidden color, have never been a problem. Although one day I was told to button up the bottom button.

As you mentioned, I see people wearing pants that are tighter than spandex yoga pants and are allowed in, or shirts that are skin tight but have sleeves and cover their collar bone while my button down with a collar blouse they sometimes criticize. I do not understand why my jeans have a metal zipper that passes the metal detector but the metal hooks on a bra will set it off. For the first 3 years I never wore jeans because I was worried metal buttons or snaps or the studs that are at the pockets would be a problem.

I have only ever seen a man's clothes cause a problem when they had one of the forbidden colors or when their t-shirt had a swear word or a picture of an alcoholic beverage.

Like Sylph mentioned, I have several outfits that work and I keep them separate to wear just for visits. Initially I was very nervous about my shoes. If no metal, what about the eyelets on my sneakers. They are ok, but the metal hook on a pair of sandals weren't. I always keep a pair of flip flops in the car just in case.

At Kingman they have always been nice about giving you a 2nd chance. Recently, I had lip gloss in my pocket that I had forgotten about. It was too expensive to just let them throw it out so I was going back to my car, but the desk person held it for me instead. It was a non-busy day. Another time, I had a penlight on my key fob. They just told me to make sure I take it off before the next visit. I think, like anyone else, stress makes them less obliging and that is when there are a lot of visitors, food visits, or if higher ups in the private prison company are around.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 AM
Liz

Quote:
One of the things to be careful of with heels or boots is that some of them have a metal insert that we consumers don't even know is there. The metal detector will pick that up and the guards specifically check for that. The other thing is we often in dress suits wear a tank style top or v-neck under suits. Make sure your blouse/top has sleeves and covers your collar bone.

As a paralegal, I accompanied my boss/attorney to prisons in WI, but never did in AZ. In WI they did not inspect our clothing for a legal meeting to the same extent as it was for a private visitor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-03-2017), K6770 (08-05-2017), lucky71013 (04-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:53 AM

I bought me some kahki colored capris, are we allowed to wear that color?
K6770 (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothisinariz View Post
No khaki
Fridyrr.Likn (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
No khaki
Thank you!! ☺
Old 08-05-2017, 01:16 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothisinariz View Post
No orange either, and not just solid color, but any orange on anything, anywhere. And I'd stay away from dark green too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
No orange either, and not just solid color, but any orange on anything, anywhere. And I'd stay away from dark green too.
Why no dark green? I wore a pair of dark green capris about 15x in last 3 years.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
Why no dark green? I wore a pair of dark green capris about 15x in last 3 years.
I've heard because it's close to the guard uniform color. I will admit, I have not personally seen that one be an issue. I guess I'm just paranoid about it.

Our lawyer said one time he was turned away because his dress slacks were a dark blue. Once upon the prison used to wear denim, and some older guards would still enforce that, even after the change.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:42 AM
Villar

Default Winslow

I plan on visiting soon. I'm claustrophobic on top I feel like I suffocate so how are the visit rooms in Winslow he is in the Kaibab unit.