Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Success Stories Please share your coming-home success stories here.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Default Successful Careers?

Hello everybody,

I'm about to be off of my supervised release and I am looking for inspiration about what to do with my life. I'm a man of faith and I do believe I have great things coming if I continue down the right path. Does anyone have a story that they could share about someone with a felony who has become successful, having his/her own family and being financially secure?
The Following User Says Thank You to Faceinthecrowd For This Useful Post:
saskatchewanian (01-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 04:15 PM

Hi there! My success story is in "success stories" you should read it....

Long story short I am off "supervised probation" as well - Had a 120 year sentence for embezzlement served 2-1/2 years on a 3 year prison term ( I had six counts of G.L. all suspended but 20 on first count).

Got out in 2010 and then off probation in 2012!

Read my story!

Take Care
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 PM

It doesn't say anything about what you do for a living ....if you have a stable family... if you are financially secure now...unless you're not talking about the "Can't believe it's been 4 years"thread?

While it's great that you're out and doing well...your success thread doesn't really address anything the OP was looking to hear.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Donation Award 

I've known several chefs with felonies. Some don't talk about it much and others are very honest and up front about their past. Both approaches seem to work out fine for them.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,642 Times in 673 Posts

Just keep in mind that financial security is only one small measure of success. Success in general is measured by one's happiness, but financial success is an obtainable goal which really depends on a person's expectations. I consider myself successful but I have experienced several financial hardships of recent times. One thing that I have recently done is pay off all my debt and I am on the road to real financial security now. My suggestion to anyone who is looking for financial security (which brings financial success) is to remain debt free while building a sensible financial portfolio. As long as a person lives slightly below their means they can get ahead. Depending on your earnings you might need to sacrifice some things, and if you realize that your happiness is the true measure of your success then learn to find happiness in what you have and not what you wish you had ... or worse, what others might have. Of course I am not telling you not to aspire to improve you earning capability. I am only suggesting that success is closer than most people realize.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
Kstayton (05-19-2014), lionmom (07-03-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 AM

I'm without experience in this area but have heard CNC machinery pays decently and some places will hire felons. Construction also.

My son has a CDL but most place want it to be 7 yrs in the past....
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. I currently am employed with the city, and I make $12.00 an hour. Now, I'm not a complainer, I mean I was told I could never even work a government job because of my felony. I am looking for some encouragement from genuine accounts of people who can honestly say that live more happy days than sad days. People who are living a somewhat enjoyable life. I have my faith, and I have been honestly trying to have a family, friends, a career, and happiness. I try to encourage others who have legal situations by telling them my story and how they can make it through. But, I wonder, is there actually anything better in my future. I've hoped, prayed, and believed but now I am wondering about what is realistic because I have been in the same place for four years.

Any responses would be appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to Faceinthecrowd For This Useful Post:
Kstayton (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceinthecrowd View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm about to be off of my supervised release and I am looking for inspiration about what to do with my life. I'm a man of faith and I do believe I have great things coming if I continue down the right path. Does anyone have a story that they could share about someone with a felony who has become successful, having his/her own family and being financially secure?
I would suggest starting with some prayer. God's plan always works out if we trust Him.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,642 Times in 673 Posts

God's blessings are not so much the prizes we seem to receive but more a revelation of those things He has already given to us. I have been married to the same woman for 14 years now, have had the same job for 14 years now, and have been out of prison for 14 years now. I have come to within a month of losing my house to foreclosure, have had to live off disability a few months after an accident, have watched both my parents lose their battle with cancer, had a sister pass away, have had two cars repossessed, and so much more bad stuff I can't even list it all ... and every bit of that within the past 14 years. However ... I still have the same wife, same job, same house, three vehicles, and am still out of prison and crime free. God has blessed me more than I ever imagined. That does not mean a person should not seek to do better things or improve on themselves, it only means to not become discouraged with what you have.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (01-25-2015), lionmom (07-03-2014), Mimzy (01-29-2017), sparky1979 (06-27-2014), Sunflow (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,359 Posts

Perhaps you should reread the story of Joseph-since you are a man of faith. That is pretty good inspiration.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Ashland FCI

Default I'm a little late but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceinthecrowd View Post
Thanks for the responses. I currently am employed with the city, and I make $12.00 an hour. Now, I'm not a complainer, I mean I was told I could never even work a government job because of my felony. I am looking for some encouragement from genuine accounts of people who can honestly say that live more happy days than sad days. People who are living a somewhat enjoyable life. I have my faith, and I have been honestly trying to have a family, friends, a career, and happiness. I try to encourage others who have legal situations by telling them my story and how they can make it through. But, I wonder, is there actually anything better in my future. I've hoped, prayed, and believed but now I am wondering about what is realistic because I have been in the same place for four years.

Any responses would be appreciated
I did 15 months in FCI Ashland and served day for day because I couldn't keep my nose clean and lost good time for contraband.

In those 15 months my fiancee cheated on me with several individuals and contracted genital herpes in the process. She sent me a "Dear John" letter confessing everything but one of the reasons she gave me was forever burned in my memory. "You're a felon now, you'll never make more than minimum wage, never be able to support a family". 4 years later im married with 2 children, own my own home, and am Director of Operations for a national contractor making over $115k a year. Don't give up. Ever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 15441032 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-18-2016), Glitter1986 (10-19-2016), klw9653 (10-17-2016), Mimzy (01-29-2017)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:32 PM

Thanked 1,753 Times in 700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15441032 View Post
I did 15 months in FCI Ashland and served day for day because I couldn't keep my nose clean and lost good time for contraband.

In those 15 months my fiancee cheated on me with several individuals and contracted genital herpes in the process. She sent me a "Dear John" letter confessing everything but one of the reasons she gave me was forever burned in my memory. "You're a felon now, you'll never make more than minimum wage, never be able to support a family". 4 years later im married with 2 children, own my own home, and am Director of Operations for a national contractor making over $115k a year. Don't give up. Ever.
Good for you. I wish you'd share how you did it & offer that advice to others. My son served 6 months & has a felony conviction. He tried for a year to get a job, had 16 offers rescinded & finally tried starting his own business. He's afraid the felony label will keep him single & unemployed forever. It's so sad to hear a 35 year old be so defeated when all he wants is to work & start his life over.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
15441032 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Ashland FCI

Last edited by 15441032; 10-20-2016 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: .
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Ashland FCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Good for you. I wish you'd share how you did it & offer that advice to others. My son served 6 months & has a felony conviction. He tried for a year to get a job, had 16 offers rescinded & finally tried starting his own business. He's afraid the felony label will keep him single & unemployed forever. It's so sad to hear a 35 year old be so defeated when all he wants is to work & start his life over.
It was difficult but I recognized that I was my only obstacle. My situation may be different from your son since I was in federal prison.

To be honest, I found out that most employers do not check your background for federal offenses. So truthfully, I lied on my applications. I had a lot of management experience and once I was hired I waited until I had proven myself a valuable asset to the company before I finally told my boss the truth. I understood that I could lose my job, but as long as I had that secret, I had anxiety about losing my job if they ever found out. I saved enough money to survive for 6 months in the event that they terminated me. When I told my employer, he was shocked, and said that he understood why I didn't tell him, but expressed that he was glad I didn't, otherwise he wouldn't have given me a chance. Long story short my company has now revised their recruitment strategy and no longer disqualify applicants due to a felony record. Some of the managers that work for me now are ex-felons and they bust their ass for me.

Was I wrong for lying on my application? Definitely. Do I regret it? In today's society, absolutely not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 15441032 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2016), GaReform (10-21-2016), lizlizzie2 (04-10-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15441032 View Post
It was difficult but I recognized that I was my only obstacle. My situation may be different from your son since I was in federal prison.

To be honest, I found out that most employers do not check your background for federal offenses. So truthfully, I lied on my applications. I had a lot of management experience and once I was hired I waited until I had proven myself a valuable asset to the company before I finally told my boss the truth. I understood that I could lose my job, but as long as I had that secret, I had anxiety about losing my job if they ever found out. I saved enough money to survive for 6 months in the event that they terminated me. When I told my employer, he was shocked, and said that he understood why I didn't tell him, but expressed that he was glad I didn't, otherwise he wouldn't have given me a chance. Long story short my company has now revised their recruitment strategy and no longer disqualify applicants due to a felony record. Some of the managers that work for me now are ex-felons and they bust their ass for me.

Was I wrong for lying on my application? Definitely. Do I regret it? In today's society, absolutely not.
You did the right thing and I'm very happy that you are doing your part to change society overall! You can be proud of yourself! Good luck for the future!