Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in Georgia, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM

Default Early release of some Georgia state inmates planned

Finally! Signs of sanity from the State Board of Pardons and Parole as per this article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution when they announced yesterday that they:
"have started reviewing some inmates for early release due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The process, which the board said was to help state prisons deal with the virus, could lead in the next 30 days to the release of up to 200 inmates who are serving time for non-violent offenses. To be considered for the early release, the inmates must be within 180 of completing their prison sentences or within 180 days of their tentative parole date, according to the board. Most will be released and serve the remainder of their sentence on probation."
I'm not sure they can only have 200 or so that fit into that criteria but its a start. Let's hope that the 30 day lead-time they're talking about doesn't become a too-little-too-late situation.

Progress!! Stay safe everyone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-04-2020), frees (04-01-2020), GingerM (04-02-2020), iamjustrite (04-01-2020), Lordbew/us (04-01-2020), patchouli (04-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Thanked 2,519 Times in 880 Posts

I'm praying A is one of the early releasees!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
newnormal (04-02-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:12 PM

Thanked 2,362 Times in 928 Posts

That's good news. The Justice Reform Partnership has sent out letters to 500 officials asking for the early release & several other things to help those incarcerated be safe. You can see a copy of their letter & info here. https://justiceday365.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (04-05-2020), patchouli (04-04-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 09:47 AM

Still very little in actual release planning from the Georgia DOC in spite of significant increases in confirmed cases. This latest article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution shows that 34 of the 38 state facilities have at least one case among staff or offenders.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georg...MflrS31DisSGL/

As of yesterday there have been four deaths and 218 confirmed cases. Given the lack of testing available (the cynic in me thinks that the offenders are ranked pretty low on the test access priority list) and the number could easily be 10 times higher.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/content/cases

We're very thankful that our son says he's not seen any direct cases in his unit at Wilcox but knows there are several inmates in other units/dorms that have complained about Covid-like symptoms but no tests. We fear that it is only a matter of time before each facility will have many cases.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
GaReform (04-21-2020), GingerM (04-21-2020), Lordbew/us (04-21-2020), patchouli (04-20-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,604 Times in 3,745 Posts

Try to remember that most people who get it will only get a mild case. This is not a death sentence. I've had it, it was like a fairly routine cold for me. Most of the deaths are occuring in people 65 and older, and even then the majority of deaths are in the 75+ age range.

I'm not saying the prisons should ignore this or that we don't need to worry - we definitely need to worry. But try not to let the news make you panic too much.

I have 3 inmates that I'm friends with. So far, one of them got it, he had symptoms like the flu and a cough that took weeks to go away, but he's fully recovered now. The other two haven't had any symptoms yet that I know of.

Be concerned, but try not to panic. I'm very glad to hear that your son hasn't seen any cases yet, and that he's asymptomatic so far. That bodes well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (04-21-2020), Lordbew/us (04-21-2020), newnormal (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Try to remember that most people who get it will only get a mild case. This is not a death sentence. I've had it, it was like a fairly routine cold for me. Most of the deaths are occuring in people 65 and older, and even then the majority of deaths are in the 75+ age range.

I'm not saying the prisons should ignore this or that we don't need to worry - we definitely need to worry. But try not to let the news make you panic too much.

I have 3 inmates that I'm friends with. So far, one of them got it, he had symptoms like the flu and a cough that took weeks to go away, but he's fully recovered now. The other two haven't had any symptoms yet that I know of.

Be concerned, but try not to panic. I'm very glad to hear that your son hasn't seen any cases yet, and that he's asymptomatic so far. That bodes well.
I agree with you @GingerM. Our son is younger and *likely* wouldn't be impacted by the virus in any significant way but given the environment he and his fellow inmates are in the Community Spread throughout the inmate and employee sets will be a much higher factor than the outside world.
We're not panicking for our son specifically but more for the likely impact on all the people at these facilities. Just seeing Autry SP go from 4 to 43 cases in a week is what is driving my concern.

And again, I'm pretty sure there are many cases going unreported/untested given that the employees only report their status voluntarily and inmates aren't likely to be a high priority for testing access unless their symptoms are severe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
GingerM (04-22-2020), Lordbew/us (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Thanked 2,362 Times in 928 Posts

If you don't mind sharing your stories please consider reaching out to the National Incarceration Association based in the Atlanta area. https://joinnia.com/ They are working to get attention to the extreme need of incarcerated people with the virus spreading. The website with corona info is https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=4c36f533d4
I am worried with the governor reopening so many things like movies & hair salons, etc that there will be more new cases. Guards & other DOC employees will be interacting more & more outside & bringing who knows what when they return to work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (04-22-2020), newnormal (04-23-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Thanked 2,519 Times in 880 Posts

Hey there!
I'm thinking of you all and I continue to keep A. in my prayers! It's such a trying time and even more so having to deal with the prison system! Give A. a thumbs up for us!
M.'s still getting up and going to work every morning since his company is considered essential. I'm actually glad that he has been able to keep a routine. Currently the guys from T/C haven't come back to work for which I am glad. My concerns are like yours just knowing how slack the system is!
Hopefully the virus is flattening and we'll see less and less of it as the next few weeks arrive, especially with the warmer weather.
Meanwhile I'm looking at my calendar and I'm counting down with you and your family!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
newnormal (04-23-2020)