Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Wives & Girlfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wives & Girlfriends in Prison For everyone who has a wife, girlfriend, or female partner incarcerated.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:50 AM

Thanked 1,165 Times in 657 Posts
Default Unfair treatment

They announced plans to release 700 inmates to protect them from potential Covid exposure but violent criminals and sex offenders are excluded. If someone convicted of either category of offense has spent decades inside without committing any serious infractions, hasn't she earned the right to at least be considered?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2020, 09:52 AM

My opinion is going to be very unpopular but I think ones crime should always be a determining factor.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
Hurley123 (08-18-2020), maytayah (08-27-2020), nene_510 (08-18-2020), WaitingWilkes (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:24 AM

I agree that it should be considered but it shouldn't be the only or most important consideration. Decades of obeying tons of rules, some of which don't seem to make much sense, ought to be an important consideration. So should an inmate's entire history of crime, or lack of it. Being a first time offender ought to count for something.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
Buttercream (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:23 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
They announced plans to release 700 inmates to protect them from potential Covid exposure but violent criminals and sex offenders are excluded. If someone convicted of either category of offense has spent decades inside without committing any serious infractions, hasn't she earned the right to at least be considered?
Did they announce this for just certain states or for federal prisons ect? I had not heard this. The latest I heard for Georgia (which was many months ago) was that they were going to release based on the ones that are within 6 months of going home anyways. And to me that makes the most sense. Its not like they are getting their time cut way down for most it is just moving a little quicker to get the ones on their way out out a little sooner. Not shaving off massive amounts of time. For some that could be only a couple days for others that might mean 6 full months and thats awesome but they are at the bottom of the list.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifenwaiting View Post
Did they announce this for just certain states or for federal prisons ect? I had not heard this. The latest I heard for Georgia (which was many months ago) was that they were going to release based on the ones that are within 6 months of going home anyways. And to me that makes the most sense. Its not like they are getting their time cut way down for most it is just moving a little quicker to get the ones on their way out out a little sooner. Not shaving off massive amounts of time. For some that could be only a couple days for others that might mean 6 full months and thats awesome but they are at the bottom of the list.

It only applies to Kentucky.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:40 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,376 Posts

Unfortunately sex crimes and violent crimes always wind up getting the short end of the stick when it comes to any sort of early release programs. Getting them any sort of leniency or special consideration seems to always be a no-no as far as credits and courts are concerned.

Is there a process to request a commutation or some form of clemency from the governor’s office? Might be a long shot but worth looking into at this point.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-19-2020), WaitingWilkes (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Is there a process to request a commutation or some form of clemency from the governor’s office? Might be a long shot but worth looking into at this point.

We've tried everything. Zero results.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:35 PM

What is unfair is the mixing and miscategorizing of non violent as violent and thus further mixing them with violent/violence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frees For This Useful Post:
missingdee (08-19-2020), WaitingWilkes (08-20-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post

All release plans and procedures require addressing public safety. People convicted of violent or sex crimes are deemed inherently a threat to public safety. Right or wrong, and regardless of the actual facts in a case (i.e. someone convicted of assault probably did it to someone they know and would not otherwise walk down the street punching people at random), people judge people based on the title of the conviction. And there is intense public pressure to be "tough" on violent and sex crimes.

It would be nice if people considered conduct while incarcerated in a positive light - perhaps that would provide true meaning to the term "corrections"; that's not reality.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
Buttercream (08-25-2020), kvinna20 (08-25-2020), missingdee (08-25-2020), sidewalker (08-26-2020), WaitingWilkes (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
All release plans and procedures require addressing public safety. People convicted of violent or sex crimes are deemed inherently a threat to public safety. Right or wrong, and regardless of the actual facts in a case (i.e. someone convicted of assault probably did it to someone they know and would not otherwise walk down the street punching people at random), people judge people based on the title of the conviction. And there is intense public pressure to be "tough" on violent and sex crimes.

It would be nice if people considered conduct while incarcerated in a positive light - perhaps that would provide true meaning to the term "corrections"; that's not reality.

You are so right!!!
Old 09-02-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
all release plans and procedures require addressing public safety. People convicted of violent or sex crimes are deemed inherently a threat to public safety. Right or wrong, and regardless of the actual facts in a case (i.e. Someone convicted of assault probably did it to someone they know and would not otherwise walk down the street punching people at random), people judge people based on the title of the conviction. And there is intense public pressure to be "tough" on violent and sex crimes.

agreed