Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default Sheriff Penzone to close Tent City Jail in Arizona

Tent City will soon be a thing of the past. The new Maricopa County Sheriff will be closing Tent City, getting rid of the pink and changing many of Sheriff Joe's policies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...nderwear-fame/

The April 2017 edition of PTO Quarterly is now available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheAmazingMrsB For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-11-2017), patchouli (04-11-2017), yourself (04-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
Tent City will soon be a thing of the past. The new Maricopa County Sheriff will be closing Tent City, getting rid of the pink and changing many of Sheriff Joe's policies.

Good I disliked that punk
Old 04-11-2017, 09:20 AM

my husband WANTED to go to Tent City, cause he'd have been outside

The Following User Says Thank You to TheAmazingMrsB For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:35 AM

As happy as I was at this news, I have mixed feelings because there has been no news about the work release and work furlough programs. For all these years we've had Tent City, the only way to be on work release/furlough was to be in the tents. For people who weren't there for DUI and thus still had a valid driver's license, they could even park their car just outside the fence where they could see it, and hop right in when they were let out in the morning.

I'm assuming our new sheriff will continue work release/furlough in some other way. It would be nice too if he addressed the inhumane meal situation at MCSO jails. Not offering lunch is one thing, and not uncommon. But a breakfast of peanut butter on a slice of bread isn't much, and dinner is always vegetarian. No meat, ever. A guest who doesn't have outside help for commissary money is guaranteed to lose weight there.

At least our new sheriff isn't bragging that he can feed an inmate for half the cost of what he spends feeding his dogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZski For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-11-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM

PTO Moderator 

Haha yeah my hubby has spent so much time in solitary...in Yuma...in the summer where they won't even let them have a fan (A.C. isn't a thing there) and they bought file folders to fan themselves....he would have begged for the opportunity to be in tent city.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Nietzsche
Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
my husband WANTED to go to Tent City, cause he'd have been outside
Same! I was shocked about that. He was in Tent City for part of last year (during the summer) and told me recently that he liked it so much better than Marana! What!? I think they love the opportunity to be outside no matter what...
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,966 Times in 3,906 Posts

I don't think the tents were necessarily the issue so much as Arpaio's behaviour. I didn't appreciate the way litigation, for a long time, seemed to just slide off of him. Some people just give you an "ick" feeling and for me, he was one of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (04-21-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:09 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I don't think the tents were necessarily the issue so much as Arpaio's behaviour. I didn't appreciate the way litigation, for a long time, seemed to just slide off of him. Some people just give you an "ick" feeling and for me, he was one of them.
I totally agree with this! It wasn't so much WHAT he did...but HOW he did it. He wanted to be a celebrity instead of a sheriff. He could have been a whole lot more successful if he wasn't such a pompous a$$

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Nietzsche
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (04-21-2017), TheAmazingMrsB (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM

I just hope the food gets an upgrade.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZski View Post
I'm assuming our new sheriff will continue work release/furlough in some other way. It would be nice too if he addressed the inhumane meal situation at MCSO jails. Not offering lunch is one thing, and not uncommon. But a breakfast of peanut butter on a slice of bread isn't much, and dinner is always vegetarian. No meat, ever. A guest who doesn't have outside help for commissary money is guaranteed to lose weight there.
Plenty of humans (billions of them, literally) don't eat meat and survive. Its not inhumane, its just not very good.

Tent City going is definitely a good thing. Very few of Joe's policies were good, so hopefully he doesn't ditch them all. Most were awful, attention seeking, overly punitive ways that didn't reduce recidivism or help rehabilitate inmates or make them better members of society when they got out.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
Plenty of humans (billions of them, literally) don't eat meat and survive. Its not inhumane, its just not very good.

Tent City going is definitely a good thing. Very few of Joe's policies were good, so hopefully he doesn't ditch them all. Most were awful, attention seeking, overly punitive ways that didn't reduce recidivism or help rehabilitate inmates or make them better members of society when they got out.
Have you have LO in Sheriff Joe's jail? I listened to my husband complain for a year and a half. The food was inedible. He would talk about moldy Bologna Sammy's for lunch.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM

I agree the food is inhumane it's more then non meat can't give people moldy food and it's just not ok all around there r other issues w it I won't go into - that should have been one of the first changes to take place
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Have you have LO in Sheriff Joe's jail? I listened to my husband complain for a year and a half. The food was inedible. He would talk about moldy Bologna Sammy's for lunch.
Yes. Went through the horsehoe 3 times in the late 90s and early 00s. The food wasn't very good. But it was hardly inedible. That's an exaggeration. Inedible is an adjective which means "not fit or suitable for eating." Its fit for eating. By humans, even. If it were not, it would be illegal to serve it in the USA, even in jails and prisons.

Not good/stuff I don't like/stuff I wouldn't eat on the outs =/= "inedible". Take that stuff down to a homeless shelter. Or give it to some of those poor immigrants trapped in refugee camps in Europe and it would be gone before you knew it.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. Went through the horsehoe 3 times in the late 90s and early 00s. The food wasn't very good. But it was hardly inedible. That's an exaggeration. Inedible is an adjective which means "not fit or suitable for eating." Its fit for eating. By humans, even. If it were not, it would be illegal to serve it in the USA, even in jails and prisons.

Not good/stuff I don't like/stuff I wouldn't eat on the outs =/= "inedible". Take that stuff down to a homeless shelter. Or give it to some of those poor immigrants trapped in refugee camps in Europe and it would be gone before you knew it.
My husband went through, again, in 2014... If the food isn't inedible, then why don't YOU have one of the moldy Bologna lunch sandwiches... And slop for supper? I have heard too many horror stories from my husband's friends and family about the food. While you're entitled to your opinion, the opinions of the guys who have lived it carry a wee bit more weight when it comes to the conditions there.

fiat_nox (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Life Lovin Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,309 Posts

I am looking forward to seeing how things go after the new Sheriff is finished making changes.

Moderator: New Jersey, Juvenile, Prison Activism, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Maryland, Husbands & Boyfriends In Prison
The Following User Says Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
yourself (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
I am looking forward to seeing how things go after the new Sheriff is finished making changes.
Me too... Just not up close and personal from hubby being there.

Tina (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
batshit crazy

Quote:

So glad that abusive creep is gone!!

WaPo only lets you read 5 articles a month for free - then you have to pay for them. Pfft

another source:
www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/us/arpaio-tent-city-maricopa-sheriff-penzone.html
Old 04-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Please I don't need an English lesson - I could teach one thank you I picked the word I meant to use bc that's exactly what was listed on some boxes in the kitchen of a doc facility that my guy was at I the past when he worked in the kitchen. The food was labeled not fit for human consumption - needless to say he didn't eat anything that had that label but it never stopped staff or doc from serving it to others who didn't know that's what the box said that it came in. And moldy food is not fit to be fed to people no matter what you may say it makes people ill and we all know how bad the medical care is in there so god help anyone who gets sick from what's they are fed. I'm not saying it had to be the best of the best but there has to be some standards and decency that is upheld and it has not been. If you were fed that day in and day out you would not eat that and chances are you would get sick too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (04-21-2017), TheAmazingMrsB (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
Please I don't need an English lesson - I could teach one thank you I picked the word I meant to use bc that's exactly what was listed on some boxes in the kitchen of a doc facility that my guy was at I the past when he worked in the kitchen. The food was labeled not fit for human consumption - needless to say he didn't eat anything that had that label but it never stopped staff or doc from serving it to others who didn't know that's what the box said that it came in. And moldy food is not fit to be fed to people no matter what you may say it makes people ill and we all know how bad the medical care is in there so god help anyone who gets sick from what's they are fed. I'm not saying it had to be the best of the best but there has to be some standards and decency that is upheld and it has not been. If you were fed that day in and day out you would not eat that and chances are you would get sick too.
Very well said

Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post

No need to be rude, my friend.

Especially when you're wrong.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
No need to be rude, my friend.

Especially when you're wrong.
Enough.

She isn't wrong, either. You may have had someone in Maricopa County in the late 90s--early 00s... But I had someone in there in 14. Sheriff Joe escalated as time went on. When Hubby went back in 14, he said it had gotten worse. So please... If you haven't listened to your husband talking about getting moldy meat or fruit... Sour milk... Slop... Old tasting peanut butter on stale bread... Don't tell us we are wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAmazingMrsB For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (04-22-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 PM

I'm not going to play word games with you, folks. Sorry, not worth it. If the food was inedible, in 2014, everyone who was not able to eat food from commissary would have died by 2015 from starvation. They would have literally starved to death. Is the food gross? No one is contesting that. It was gross when I ate it myself in the 90s and 00s. Its probably still gross now. But if it was literally inedible, people would not be able to eat it for nutritional value and they would die from malnutrition and starvation. And not just a random person here or there, I mean the entire population. This simply hasn't happened. The food being inedible is an exaggeration.

inedible means:

"not fit or suitable for eating."

/end of story

Last edited by jsanner; 04-22-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Enough of the semantics... It's time to get this thread back on track... The new Sheriff is closing Tent City...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAmazingMrsB For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-22-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-22-2017)