Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Default Lack of care

I'm getting information the prisoners are not getting fed correctly they're in quarantine confinement they can't use the phone to call their loved ones you're not getting fed correctly what is going on is this at all the prison? Someone let me know I mean it just worries me I've been told that my son has govan but I can't get any information he's been in quarantine now this is 21 days he says he's not sick so who do I believe, asymptomatic so how long are they going to keep him in quarantine can anybody answer any of these questions why are they not feeding these people do they forget or they just don't want to go near him they need to call in the national guard to take care of some of these prisons if they're short of help
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2020, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,625 Times in 3,752 Posts

I obviously can't say what exactly is going on inside, but I can take a guess.

Many prisons are locked down right now. The way it works is if someone on a unit tests positive (guard or inmate), the unit is locked down for 14 days (quarantined, so they can't go to the chow hall). During this time, they're fed sack lunch type food. But then another person tests positive and the clock resets to 14 days all over again, so until everyone has either gotten sick or developed immunity, they'll be locked down, eating sack lunch type meals.

This is a problem as sack lunches rarely have much fiber or vegetables. They're usually sandwiches with maybe some lettuce in them, but that's not sufficient vegetable matter for a healthy diet. The meals are largely things like bread, meat, chips etc. So junk food. It provides calories, but not fiber - I've heard a lot of guys complaining about the lack of fiber and the problems that can cause.

They are getting fed, but not at regular meal times and the "sack lunch" style means they don't have to eat, and the sacks aren't distributed in a timely manner. They're not being starved, but their nutrition and the timeliness of their meals are being impacted. For most Americans, this would be annoying, but for some, like diabetics, this can be disastrous.

This is what I've heard from Oregon prisons and I've heard similar things from other states who are locking down/quarantining units.

I hope this helps your fears. The absolute worst thing you would ever want in a prison is for the National Guard to come in - they are not trained to deal with prisons other than typical riot control training. It would be disastrous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2020), safran (08-09-2020)