Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Waiting 4 My Dream 2 Come

Default My Visitation (Detail per Detail)LONG..CAMP HILL

Actually, Imma write about the whole classification time and the visitation for all our newbies and for those who are to experience:

(Again all this is at our favorite place of CAMP HELL (Rolling eyes)

He went in on April 3, 2008 (Thursday)...That day his name was still on the county list and on the inmate locator he did not show up...He was able to call me but for us the call didn't get thru...Someone at county did call his family or I guess emergency contact he had down....

On Monday since I already knew that on Thursday he was getting transferred I called and got his inmate number and mailed him letters

I got my first letter on April 8, 2008 (Tuesday)...I got a generated letter from the jail giving me some details and him...

The mail works okay not like I thought it would....When he gives in my letters they don't get sent out the same day usually it takes about 1-2 days for the jail to send it out and I get it on the 3rd day out! He gets my written usps letters depending if I have pictures, too many pages, he gets them in anywhere from 4-8 days...If I have pictures it takes longer! I use jpay now to write he usually gets the letters the same day or the next depending what time you send them!!!

Ummm...I called every week to 'check the status of his visiting list' they will not tell you who is on it but they will usually tell you if its approved or not.....The people aren't the friendliest and sometimes you get a run around but keep calling....

On April 30th, I called and it was approved before he even knew it! I wrote him a jpay letter telling him about it so he knew I was going up the following week!

On May6th, I got my first phone call...It was to my cell with the area code of the jail and we got to speak for 15 mins...The recording every now and then reminds you that your being monitor...Or I dunno if its because it picks up certain words ...Like he was like 'SHUT UP' and the recording came on lol...so I am not sure how that goes...I told him about my visitation and he said he still didn't receieve notice that it was approve but if they said it was to come cuz my name was on it!!!! The call was prepaid by him...it was 15 bucks and I think that allows him 3 calls...(While being classfied they can only call every other 4 days)

On May 7, 2008 I head out of NYC to Camp Hill....Okay I wanted to get reliable public transporation but really the guards weren't the friendly type to start talking and the one I did see posted I had called before going and was out of service...sorry guys no info on that....So for me how I got to camp hill...(and maybe for any out of staters would like to do)....I took the Amtrak to Harrisburg P.A (The state capital and about 15 mins away from camp hill)...I arrived at Harrisburg at 10:40 ....(Visiting on wed start at 1) Since I thought it was too early I walked around (dumb move)....I deceided to head out to the prison at 11:15...I caught a cab they usually wait at the bus station its a 11 bucks ride but my cab driver "got lost" so it was 15 to get there.... and by the time I got there...There were about 15 people in front me....so I waited from about 11:30 to exactly 1:00 just waiting for the guest house to open...People usually start forming a line...if they aren't on line...you can be the brave one and ask anybody on line or just keep in mind who came after you...so that they don't skip you!!!Its very important this matters so just remember who came after you!!! Once the doors open a line will form inside....GUYS PAY ATTENTION NOW:

You get in a line according to how you came....if that line wasn't already form on the outside...You need a current id (if your taking your passport cuz your id expired take both!)....You go up to these guards...that really aren't rude but aren't friendly they just doing there job no questions ask no nothing...you give them your inmate number.....they check there computer if everything is okay...they give you a pass....ask for your keys if you need a locker...next you sign a book right near (i almost over looked this) and I put my bag in the locker...I turned off my phones because I heard that if the phones go off on the locker they will terminate your visit....Oh and DO NOT BE ON YOUR PHONE WHILE YOUR IN....forget about ur phone and just put it away....So you wait.....its hard to draw a mental picture...but you sit down...and to your right there will be another guard with the metal detectors...every time his phone ring its because they brought up an inmate...It does not matter who was before you or after you...it depends on how fast they get the inmate to the visiting room....so a few of the girls that went in after me got in before me! You, wait no more then an hour...if you see an hour has passed go up to the guard at the metal detector and ask....I was wearing skinny jeans and a black long shirt.....a braclet and some earrings...my shoes were open flats...I went thru with no problem.....no ion scanner...nothing...so after waiting an hr my name was called....I went thru the detector...straight out to the visiting room...once I am in the visitor room I hand in my visiting pass and they are sitting right there (Just I didn't recongize my man of how much he has changed) so I was really really surprise when I looked around and he was right in front of me......so he got up...Our hug and kiss was ackward...we were both nervous/scared....so it was a side cheek kiss wierd hug type shyt...the guard I guess figga it was our first time and said go ahead give him a hug and kiss cuz you can't after this...so we did...I was told it was only a peck..I got more then a peck (not a problem!)...They assign you a seat...

The room is styled I would say like a hospital waiting room...your seating right next to him...you can hold hands....The vending machine are in the back they can't get up with you....the vending machines were not crowded...or anything....so you can get up as often as you want....

My visit was 5 hrs!!! It was good...we didn't try to sneak kisses...the guard was kewl...didn't see him or pay much mind to him either....the other people were in there own world....the play room I think was close...and no pictures the day I went...

They start calling people who fives hours are on a mic....so try to remember also who went in before you....so you can prep for GOOD BYE (sigh).....The good bye is like the hello..you go up...he gives u back ur paper....kiss and hug...walk out.....

I got home the same process....I took a cab back to the bus station and took the bus home!!!!

Hmmm...I am not sure if this will help anyone...But this is my story...and While I was going thru it I couldn't find info all together on one post so I made sure I was going to help the next person...please do not hesitate to pm me with questions/ if your going thru this and already had visitation please add any thoughts comments, situations that happen to you!!!

Ummm okay I think I wrote enough!!!
<3 Est: 10:19:03 <3

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msonlydabest For This Useful Post:
angelbaby67 (01-09-2009), antsdiamondgirl (04-07-2009), B's wifey 4life (10-29-2008), frilled2b (12-10-2008), goinginpa (11-10-2008), Waiting Wife (02-19-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Thats def whats up I know you wre all smiles
So happy you got your visit and so happy I found someone that can relate to the crazy commute us being from NYC
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Crazy never felt so good

Ms Thang! I'm so happy you got your visit, it sounds like it went pretty smoothly especially for the first visit! Yah you.

That was so thoughtful of you to post it for all the newbies
Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 AM

hey girl,
I'm so happy for you that you finally got your visitation after so long.........i found out my man didnt even put in for his yet........(sighhs) by this rate ill get to see him probly 4 months from now, anyway this is your happy time and like i said, im so happy for you.....
-much-love-
diana
Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adryieonnasmom View Post
hey girl,
I'm so happy for you that you finally got your visitation after so long.........i found out my man didnt even put in for his yet........(sighhs) by this rate ill get to see him probly 4 months from now, anyway this is your happy time and like i said, im so happy for you.....
-much-love-
diana
My man submitted his visiting list after the first 10 days of lockdown and it took about maybe 2 to 3 weeks for it to be approved...so your def be getting sooner then you expect...but it does take longer for the kids!

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Thankyou so much for posting this message,Because I did not know how I was going to get to Camp hill without a van service. I live in pittsburgh and did not want to drive all the way down there and back with my daughter.fearful that I would get lost so thanks again.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:24 PM

No problem if you have any questions feel free to hit me up! and I ll be more then glad to help you out

Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 PM
i miss my boo!

of this helps anyone i live in harrisburg and there is a amtrak down the street from me so i can provide some type of transportation my man is in camp hill and i just went through this stuff for the first time as well and it was krazy but i thought the guards were nice though i went on a sunday and im going to go back this sunday and then after that probally on thursdays for the rest of the month but get at me and let me know ok.... and im so happy u got ur visit i know mine was great
Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Thank you

Very informative post Thank you. This is exactly right. Felt like I was there all over again. Except I lost the key to my locker when I went. I left it in the basket when I went through the metal detector. I was so nerves (was my first visit to state prison). When I asked at the desk on the way out they made a big game of it. I thought I would cry. They weren't taking pictures the day I was there either. Whats up with that?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Red face First visit to camphill

I had my first visit at beautiful (lol) camphill on Wednesday Dec. 3. He has been up there since Oct 30, he got his list approved on Nov. 12, didnt take that long at all, I thought. I finally got the time to go. Me and my girlfriend drove from Scranton Pa to Harrisburg in 2 hours, but it took us 1 and 1/2 hours before we found the prison. Got there at 1245, got a number (30) waited till 2 to get called to the desk, registered, they did not ask for identification whatsoever. Waited till 230 to go through detector, we were number 4 to be called in, walked around the building to visitor room 2, and there he was, I was thrilled to see him, but he lost so much weight, he said the food was terrible. We got our pictures taken, he ate so much, drank 6 (20oz) bottles of pepsi, which he missed more than me....lol....we talked for 3 1/2 hours, until they told us it was over.....I wanted to take him home with me, but, oh well....we left the building at 630. And of course couldnt find our way to route 83, so got lost once again. Finally walked in my home at 10 pm. It was wonderful, except for the getting lost part. Hopefully I will make another trip there between the Holidays. I talk to him every 4th day, and get letters from him every 3 or 4 days...I dont know where they are going to send him next...I guess its just a waiting game now. If anyone out there is from Scranton or surrounding areas close by, I would love to car pool.