Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of New Hampshire - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Visitation & Phones, mail and more

Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Arrow Question about good time

Has anyone heard if the good time thing passed yet? or if it was just a lie all together. My boyfriends been in since 2006 but we kept hearing of good time. I looked in the papers and any where i could think but i couldn't dig up anything other than "trying to pass" any information is great.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missxamazin26 View Post
Has anyone heard if the good time thing passed yet? or if it was just a lie all together. My boyfriends been in since 2006 but we kept hearing of good time. I looked in the papers and any where i could think but i couldn't dig up anything other than "trying to pass" any information is great.
Hello, yes it passed! Its called HB 595 and you can read the bill http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...07/HB0595.html There is also alot of questions asked and answered in New Hampshire News and Events in this forum.

Last edited by doingnhtime; 07-10-2009 at 01:33 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doingnhtime For This Useful Post:
Cactus (07-10-2009), jsgirl05 (07-17-2009), pmitch10 (07-11-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 04:10 PM

I am in a big rut as far as the N. H. DOC is concerned. As far as good time in New Hampshire, my experience is is that its all b######T. One can be as good as gold during one's incarceration but if you've had prior problems you're not eligible. Thus not a good depiction of good time. John was offered the ankle bracelet last October, but was penalized cause he's from Mass. He was told he didn't qualify. He has to follow all the rules of N.H. but is disqualified for any good thing as he is from Massachusetts. I heard about this good time for so long. He would qualify to apply this month but was told he was not eligible as this incarceration was not his first. He 's been in Mass before though never N.H. So then since he's eligible for parole March 2010 I write to a person from Mass Parole . Questions you might want answered on Prison talk. I ask how hard will it be for John to get parole and come home. My reply back is that he can be paroled to Mass through the interstate compact but it is unlikely unless you are married or a family member that he can parole to your house. Wow that just was a mind blower for me as I am the only place he has. His family doesn't want him, nor have they bothered with him while he's been in N.H. So now I'm left with a worst taste in my mouth than prior for the NH doc. John's choice is to come to my house. I t is a good safe place. I am a professional and have stuck by him for almost 4 years. In six months he had completed his courses, taken a culinary arts class and is now in woodworking. He has not been in trouble and he does what's expected of him. I t just seems he can never catch a break with this DOC. They can call it what they want. But this clemency bill is nothing about good time. It judges you first on your past mistakes. This whole NH DOC is such a disappointment to me. I can only imagine what it's like for the inmate.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Cactus
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,385 Times in 3,118 Posts
Default Title

Hey, I'm not sure why the links I posted do not work. I tested both before posting and after seeing them open I submitted. Apparently the only way you can view the "good time" threads and posts is by clicking on 'Search This Forum' in the main page of the NH forum. Once you open the search page, enter HB 595 and it will give you all prior threads on that subject. This is true for any subjects (past PTO threads) you wish to research. You may do your own independent search as well. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. Thanks~

Last edited by Cactus; 07-11-2009 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Using "Search this Forum"
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
pmitch10 (07-12-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Cactus
Donation Award 

Default over-population of prisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by john's snoopdog View Post
I am in a big rut as far as the N. H. DOC is concerned. As far as good time in New Hampshire, my experience is is that its all b######T. In six months he had completed his courses, taken a culinary arts class and is now in woodworking. He has not been in trouble and he does what's expected of him... This whole NH DOC is such a disappointment to me. I can only imagine what it's like for the inmate.
Hi John’s,
I am sorry that you and John are going through this. I know how hard John has worked over these many months to not only comply with the doc’s rules, but also for the work he has done to better himself while he is there. And to you for your love, support and sacrifice in seeing your relationship through this, I give you great respect and admiration.
This is a good example as to why there is yet so much that has to be done in changing the way the courts and the prisons in NH function, and the way our legislators think. With the recent article (interview) I posted in the NH forum; “A New Course”, a lot was emphasized on alternative sentencing, cutting back the inmate population, community support and especially the need for programs and housing. Much was also mentioned about the many other States in the same over-population of prisons and dire budget crisis that NH now faces too.
Recently we’ve seen many topics range in different areas concerning the NHSP system along with the many jails in the different Counties around the State. An interview with Commissioner William Wrenn was a guest of Laura Knoy (NHPR) not too long ago. And more recently; William McGonigle (Deputy Commissioner of NH Department of Corrections) and Natasha Frost (Assistant Professor at Northeastern University’s College of Criminal Justice-Ma.) were also interviewed by NHPR’s Laura Knoy as well. Listen:Windows Media | MP3
Look, we are NOT through this yet! There is much to be done in the way of addressing these important issues. Getting out to vote makes changes possible! But we can also continue to write our legislators with our thoughts and ideas. After-all, we hired them w/our votes and we can just as easily fire them w/our votes too!
WHY are the NH courts incarcerating so many non-violent offenders??? WHY is there an extremely high incarceration rate in the NH prisons and jails for drug or driving offenses??? WHY is NH still using the same laws that were passed 30 years ago??? And how about our “Low-risk” offenders like John??? WHY are there Inmates like him in prison for such long periods of sentencing or placed on extremely long probation/parole restrictions??? Alternative sentencing anyone???
Hummm, dump "truth in sentencing" and "mandatory sentencing" altogether.
I’ll come right out and say this; I support Commissioner Wrenn and Deputy Commissioner McGonigle for addressing these issues and their attempt at making their views public. I also find it interesting that Natasha Frost, being from Massachusetts is on board w/NH and over-all changes too.
This is why I am sticking around. I want to help in any way I can to support the much needed changes within our prison system. But just as important I want to help (support) our PTO family in NH and anywhere else that I’m needed along the way. John’s, you have set a really important example today. You came into the forum and blew off some steam! That’s one of the reasons why PTO is here and you’ve made that perfectly clear. After-all, who else do we have to turn to when all others can’t understand or fail? Family and/or friends may want to help, while others may turn away. But for us, we’re on this doc journey together, and we PTO members have the best understanding out there! That makes me proud to be a member~
My thoughts and prayers are w/you both tonight~
Cactus~

Last edited by Cactus; 07-11-2009 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Title
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
john's snoopdog (07-12-2009), jsgirl05 (07-17-2009), pmitch10 (07-12-2009)
Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Crazy Mom of Three

I'm pretty sure, I could be wrong, that the Interstate Compact is a giant umbrella with the same rules designated for all participating states (not every state participates). I don't think each individual state makes their own rules. Check interstate.org for information--maybe you'll find something helpful.

The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning.

--I
vy Baker Priest

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Byrnie For This Useful Post:
Cactus (07-12-2009), john's snoopdog (07-12-2009), pmitch10 (07-12-2009)
Old 07-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Im confused. the link provided was dated 2007, how come good time hasnt taken effect yet? im still new to all this...is there something im missing here? i do know that good time was again recently talked about, and according to my fiance, should be going into effect soon, but is it? AAGGHH!!! theres so much i need to learn lol!

Our precious miracle baby girl joined us on 1/12 <3

<3 DADDYS PRINCESS <3

~my tickers wrong...parole 12/2 and he will be home by CHRISTMAS~

Last edited by jsgirl05; 07-17-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Cactus
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgirl05 View Post
Im confused. the link provided was dated 2007, how come good time hasnt taken effect yet? im still new to all this...is there something im missing here? i do know that good time was again recently talked about, and according to my fiance, should be going into effect soon, but is it? AAGGHH!!! theres so much i need to learn lol!
Hi jsgirl, the "good time" bill that you're referring to is HB 595, and it did pass. But the bill was revised/amended. It is now called a clemency bill.

HB595 -FN
Session Year 2008
Bill Docket
Bill Status
Bill Text
Title: (2nd New Title) requiring the commissioner of the department of corrections to adopt procedures establishing a policy on and procedures for an internal clemency board to review and make recommendations on requests for sentence modifications.
G-Status: SIGNED BY GOVERNOR House Status: PASSED / ADOPTED WITH AMENDMENT
Senate Status: PASSED / ADOPTED

http://www.nh.gov/nhdoc/documents/1-48.pdf
'Criteria for Suitability'
A. Category I Clemency Board
(Criteria for non-violent offenders)

This "good time" bill has come up every year and has been a subject discussed and debated for several years. The bill was revised in order for it to finally pass, reducing it down to what many of us had hoped for. However, your husband may apply as long as he has finished his doc-required programs and has been on good behavior. The final decision is made by the original sentencing court.
Here are a few discussions we had concerning HB 595. Click Here
If you scroll down on the main page of the NH forum, you'll see the many sub-forums along the left side of the page. Example; New Hampshire News & Events. In those sub-forums you'll find threads of many different subjects, including the "good time" bill. I hope that answered your question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
jsgirl05 (07-18-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

thanks again cactus! you always have great info! i will be checking all of this out tonight

Our precious miracle baby girl joined us on 1/12 <3

<3 DADDYS PRINCESS <3

~my tickers wrong...parole 12/2 and he will be home by CHRISTMAS~