Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:01 PM

Default Son got date for release to Halfway house...so many questions

My son is in Jasper and will be released to a HWH in El Paso! This is approximately 4-1/2 hours from where he will live. We were hoping for Odessa, since we live in Midland, but it was not meant to be!

I have tried to find info on what to expect, but all info I can find is about 10 years old!

1) Will he know when he gets there how long he has to stay?
2) Is there anything he can do to get home faster?
3) Some things I have read said he has to pay $25% of his paycheck to them...any truth to that?
4) I have also read if they save up $500 they can leave earlier?
5) Is visitation allowed?
6) He thought after some point he might get weekend furloughs?
7) I assume he will be getting a job to pay for this? (In a town where he knows nobody and has no plans to stay once he can leave. He has a job waiting for him when he gets back to Midland.)
8) If he gets a job in El Paso, what do they do for transportation?
9) Any idea how long the "average" stay is?
10) From what I have read, albeit "old news" the HWH in El Paso is full of actively using drug users!

Any info, advice, suggestions, etc?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2020, 10:38 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,569 Times in 1,793 Posts

He can leave as soon as he has approved address. There's no time limit on how long he has to stay. 25% does not go into effect until he gets a job. The only way that they can leave the halfway house is by way of a bus or a van that takes him into town. He's going through a place it's called Horizon City I think it's about 10-15 miles outside of El Paso. I've never been there but I've heard quite a bit to talk about it if he's trying to get back home to Midland all he has to do is to give an approved address your parole officer there and all they have to do is confirm it. Generally speaking they don't want him there any longer than they have to be. Unless there's some kind of stipulation it states you can't come back home to you then I can't see why he wouldn't be able to come home it might be that is for all plan was botched for some kind of reason before he gets out. He doesn't have to have any money saved up to be able to get out all he has to have is an approved address. Yes there are drugs there but I really wouldn't worry about all that right now just try and get him home
dtmom2013 (02-26-2020), WestTXMom (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:51 PM

That's encouraging!!! We have lived in the same house for close to 30 years so our address should be easy to approve. There shouldn't be any stipulation that he can't come to my house. Neither me or my husband have ever been in any trouble, not even a traffic ticket in over 40 years! Hopefully it will be quick transition.

Thank you so much for your input!!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:02 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTXMom View Post
That's encouraging!!! We have lived in the same house for close to 30 years so our address should be easy to approve. There shouldn't be any stipulation that he can't come to my house. Neither me or my husband have ever been in any trouble, not even a traffic ticket in over 40 years! Hopefully it will be quick transition.

You're welcome. I hope everything works out ASAP. Keep us posted.
WestTXMom (02-20-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 PM

Well, he made it to El Paso. Was supposed to be released on the 25th and he and another guy stood out in front of the prison waiting on their ride. The greyhound bus ride was cancelled due to the Covid 19 outbreak, so someone from El Paso was sent to pick them up. He was given the wrong prison to go to, so they had to go back inside, take off their street clothes, put their prison attire back on and wait until the next day!!

They were picked up the next morning at 8:00 and taken to the local Brookshire's to Western Union...which didn't have enough money to give my son the money I sent, so he wasn't able to pick up his cash!! What the heck? How can a Western Union not have $200?

Finally got to El Paso at 11:30 that night and found out he HAS to spend 60 days there. He MAY can shave 4 days off of that, but that's it. He has already secured a position as his counselor's "Coordinator" so that will give him something to do.

I am having to order him clothes, hygiene products, etc. from Walmart.com or Amazon since they aren't allowed to go out to the store at this time.

He seems to be doing good, he likes his counselor, the guys he is in the program with, and most of all...he is OUT of TDCJ! Once he gets my Venmo card so he can get some snacks, he will be super happy!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WestTXMom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (04-21-2020), fbopnomore (03-30-2020), Firebrand (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 06:45 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Default 60 Day Lockdown

Quote:
Well, he made it to El Paso. Was supposed to be released on the 25th and he and another guy stood out in front of the prison waiting on their ride. The greyhound bus ride was cancelled due to the Covid 19 outbreak, so someone from El Paso was sent to pick them up. He was given the wrong prison to go to, so they had to go back inside, take off their street clothes, put their prison attire back on and wait until the next day!!

They were picked up the next morning at 8:00 and taken to the local Brookshire's to Western Union...which didn't have enough money to give my son the money I sent, so he wasn't able to pick up his cash!! What the heck? How can a Western Union not have $200?

Finally got to El Paso at 11:30 that night and found out he HAS to spend 60 days there. He MAY can shave 4 days off of that, but that's it. He has already secured a position as his counselor's "Coordinator" so that will give him something to do.

I am having to order him clothes, hygiene products, etc. from Walmart.com or Amazon since they aren't allowed to go out to the store at this time.

He seems to be doing good, he likes his counselor, the guys he is in the program with, and most of all...he is OUT of TDCJ! Once he gets my Venmo card so he can get some snacks, he will be super happy!!
Wow and so, they're locked down for 60 days or rather, he cannot leave for 60 days, huh? That's a first. Still, with the Corona Virus being what it is, at least he got out. A lot of strange stuff happening just now and it goes without saying that there are many men and women in prison right now who in all probability are experiencing an over abundance of anxiety and fear to do with getting out just now.
dtmom2013 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Wow and so, they're locked down for 60 days or rather, he cannot leave for 60 days, huh? That's a first. Still, with the Corona Virus being what it is, at least he got out. A lot of strange stuff happening just now and it goes without saying that there are many men and women in prison right now who in all probability are experiencing an over abundance of anxiety and fear to do with getting out just now.
He had been there 4 days when the news broke that a guy in the same building, but in another dorm, had been hospitalized with Covid19. He is back at the halfway house now in isolation and the rest of the guys in that dorm have to stay locked down in their dorm. So...they are all pretty much stuck in their dorms. He is lucky and has access to the outdoors where the basketball court is.

We are close to halfway through before he's finally home!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WestTXMom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (04-21-2020), fbopnomore (04-21-2020), Firebrand (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Do you keep firearms in your house? Those have to go...Sorry Welcome to Parole.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:13 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Quote:
He had been there 4 days when the news broke that a guy in the same building, but in another dorm, had been hospitalized with Covid19. He is back at the halfway house now in isolation and the rest of the guys in that dorm have to stay locked down in their dorm. So...they are all pretty much stuck in their dorms. He is lucky and has access to the outdoors where the basketball court is.

We are close to halfway through before he's finally home!!
I know that just now it's a trying time for everyone, but this too shall pass. The hard part is behind him and you,as well. He is free and with time things will improve. He's blessed to someone such as you that cares.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:17 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelln61 View Post
You can go farther with a kind word of encouragement than you can with forewarnings that create fear. Food for thought
dtmom2013 (04-21-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelln61 View Post
No firearms, so we are good to go!!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
I know that just now it's a trying time for everyone, but this too shall pass. The hard part is behind him and you,as well. He is free and with time things will improve. He's blessed to someone such as you that cares.
He called me 2 days ago that I could come pick him up on Memorial Day! He was hoping to get out the 4 days early they had talked about, but I'm fine with Memorial Day....I took the next Tuesday and Wednesday off of work to get him settled and get whatever he needs.

Then....he got word this morning that he does actually get to leave 4 days early, so that will be Thursday, the 21st at 7:30 AM....so I booked a room in El Paso, since it's over a 4 hour drive for me so I could be there when he walks out. Changed my days off to Thursday and Friday instead and took off half a day Wednesday to make the drive!

He called me when I was getting off this afternoon and told me the officer there told him he HAS to ride the Greyhound bus home because they already purchased his ticket. It didn't matter that I had already booked a hotel.

So frustrating, but Thank The LORD we are almost done with this! One week from yesterday and he will be home!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WestTXMom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (05-19-2020), fbopnomore (05-16-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
He called me 2 days ago that I could come pick him up on Memorial Day! He was hoping to get out the 4 days early they had talked about, but I'm fine with Memorial Day....I took the next Tuesday and Wednesday off of work to get him settled and get whatever he needs.

Then....he got word this morning that he does actually get to leave 4 days early, so that will be Thursday, the 21st at 7:30 AM....so I booked a room in El Paso, since it's over a 4 hour drive for me so I could be there when he walks out. Changed my days off to Thursday and Friday instead and took off half a day Wednesday to make the drive!

He called me when I was getting off this afternoon and told me the officer there told him he HAS to ride the Greyhound bus home because they already purchased his ticket. It didn't matter that I had already booked a hotel.

So frustrating, but Thank The LORD we are almost done with this! One week from yesterday and he will be home!!
Such great news! You guys will be together for the holiday! Have a great homecoming.