Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Louisiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 PM

Smile Is there a new good time law in Louisiana?

My fiance heard on the news that a new law that was passed on or around April 6-9, 2016. I did find an article vaguely speaking about it. It really only mentioned about roughly 5400 non violent inmates being released on July 1. Has anyone heard of this? Second question, do fifth time offenders get good time? I don't know much about the fifth offenders case but he also wanted me to ask on here for him, lol. So any info would greatly help the guys out in Acadia parish jail. They have my fiance ask me to look up things but im not familiar with non of this. I try my best though. From all of us thank.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,179 Times in 7,109 Posts

Even if there was a law that was enacted in April of this year, chances are it won't apply to any of those guys. Usually those bills are not retroactive.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,179 Times in 7,109 Posts

Oh, and a fifth time offender is plumb out of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
babyblu214 (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 PM

For the April ones that haven't been to court yet that are still sitting and waiting would it apply to them? Or even the ones that had their parole revoked?Again thanks for the help. Some of these guys have no help and I'm the only one helping so I do appreciate all the help.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblu214 View Post
My fiance heard on the news that a new law that was passed on or around April 6-9, 2016. I did find an article vaguely speaking about it. It really only mentioned about roughly 5400 non violent inmates being released on July 1. Has anyone heard of this? Second question, do fifth time offenders get good time? I don't know much about the fifth offenders case but he also wanted me to ask on here for him, lol. So any info would greatly help the guys out in Acadia parish jail. They have my fiance ask me to look up things but im not familiar with non of this. I try my best though. From all of us thank.
He'll have to get back into court for resentencing to apply to him. My brother is benefitting from it, but we've been working on getting him in court since Oct 2015 before the bill was introduced. So it was good timing, he was billed during his original sentencing, when he should not have been, so once he get resentenced he'll fall under the new good time bill. On the flip side, I have another brother who was sentenced under a law where he had to do 85% of his time and several laws were introduced that applied to him, but they never retro'd them...this is why I joined to get information about SB24 which may allow him to go up for parole.
Good luck and most bills excludes ppl with more than 3 convictions. I will ask my brother for more details.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlove1997 View Post
He'll have to get back into court for resentencing to apply to him. My brother is benefitting from it, but we've been working on getting him in court since Oct 2015 before the bill was introduced. So it was good timing, he was billed during his original sentencing, when he should not have been, so once he get resentenced he'll fall under the new good time bill. On the flip side, I have another brother who was sentenced under a law where he had to do 85% of his time and several laws were introduced that applied to him, but they never retro'd them...this is why I joined to get information about SB24 which may allow him to go up for parole.
Good luck and most bills excludes ppl with more than 3 convictions. I will ask my brother for more details.
So if they havent been sentenced they have to go get resentenced for the new law to apply to them?? I mean if the new law is from April 2016, why wouldnt it apply to the ones that havent been sentenced? So for the 5th offender, he is straight out of luck huh?