Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Banned

Arrow OHIO FOOD & CLOTHES BOXES

I thought since we kept posting about this on the "chit chat" thread, I would make up a separate thread.

Question to you all about food boxes:

1) The sheet that tells you what you can pack, size, weight, etc. says that the inventory sheet has to be posted on the outside of the box. I'm confused. How do you do that when it's going through the post office? Just tape the whole thing down?

2) The popcorn item - does that mean you take the popcorn packets out of the box and just leave them loose (in their cellophane) in the box?

3) What type of candy/chocolate do you suggest?

Thanks!

Patty
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
º° Princess °º

I can't answer any of your questions since I can't send anything my my man at the prison he's at but he LOVES gummy worms and would do ANYTHING to get them
Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

well for the 1st question..........when i send mine, i ask the post office for something to place the paper in and then it sticks to the outside of the box, its like a clear envelope sorta.......and i have no problem w/them getting to him

as for #2...........i'm not sure about popcorn......never sent it..........but from what i know of other products........they like to be able to see everything

and #3..............in this weather, i would not send any chocalate.......i'm sure it would melt...........my guy likes those hard jolly ranchers, and the soft ones.......that they sell in the big bags..........he was able to get those...........i did those cuz they like the candy to be individually wrapped, plus you can even see thru them
Old 07-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

Sdylan,
Thanks for the info...now about the box size...I swear I feel so, so ignorant. I'm not good at math. Is the box size (12 x 24 x 28) like a standard Xerox box? Or can you get one at the postoffice??
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

oh that size is a pain in the butt ohio gal.......that is the correct size......but i've sent boxes at richland and at north central and have never used that exact size............i buy it from the post office and use the 2nd largest size they got.......dang i wish i remembered the measurements........if you were to mix the #'s around, they'd all be smaller or the same as the 3 dimensions above.......so it was cool...........there not actually 2 picky about the box.....but to be safe, i'd get it from the post office..........and you'd be surprised cuz they were very helpful to me when i told them i was sending it to a prison
Old 07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Miss Independent

It doesn't have to be that exact size... it just can't be bigger. I think it has to go through a machine there and those are its measurements.

I use a big box, like the kind you would use to pack clothes in. I've never had any trouble with that.

Yes, dump out the popcorn, and no, don't send chocolate! That box will sit in the mail room for days and days!! I would send candy that won't melt.

'til he's free
2011 Club Member #4
Old 07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Closed

You can always get a box from The UPS Store (which used to be Mail Boxes Etc). They have every size you can think of.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM

OK lets see if I can help
With the packing slip all I have ever done is take a regular envelope and put it in there and taped it on the side of the box I put the address on it like if I was sending it to him then I add on there that the packing slip is enclosed then I write his address on top of the box and then write packing slip and draw a arrow down to the envelope so they know it is there. I have not had any problems with that.
As for a box as long as it is not bigger than what the size is it will be fine. I get my boxes at walmart. They have the boxes and they are about $2 or so. They have a few diffrent sizes.
For the popcorn I think I just put the whole box in there that way it was not open and they can open it there, I do not send popcorn very often but I have not had a problem with it when I have sent it.
As for the candy with the heat I would say not chocolate but I still send it because that is what my hubby likes. At RICI they get the box pretty fast for the most part. I try to send it out like on a Saturday then he will get the box by wed or so. Sometimes faster. He does not say much about the candy melting.
I am not sure about anyone else here but my hubby like the kool-aide mix but that is heavy I have been sending the stuff that you get at wal-mart (it is cheaper there you can get it at the grocery store too) they have the crystal light in little containers that make 2 quarts with like 4 little tubs but it is pre measured they have the wal-mart brand with more flavors and he really likes it because he can get more and I have sent him a little bottle in a clothes box that he uses to mix it up. But that is lighter and you can get more in there. Just a thought!!
Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Food boxes

When I send my husband food boxes, I take popcorn out of the box and put the packets in a large ziploc bag and write the quantity on there. I do the same with oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat-anything that comes in packets, I put in a ziploc bag. And he can re-use the ziploc bag later on. That helps lessen the weight when I'm trying to send alot of different things.
My hubby likes the Jello strawberry cheesecake cups, and has me send 12 at a time.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming...

At the end, when I go to the post office, do you keep the box open, let them weigh it and then add or take away depending on the weight?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM

OK, I go to Mail Box etc or the UPS store. I have them give me the clear package form and then stick it to the outside . They have the box size there and they will weigh it for you. It actually costs less that going through the post office for me.

For the Popcorn, you can send the boxes that have the packages in them. When it gets to the prison they will have to open and scan everything anyways so it does not matter.

For the candy, watch the chocoalte during the summer it will melt. My boyfriend gets all the hard candy he wants in the summer time but when the winter comes then he gets the "good" boxes. In teh winter, I send him CHEESE, CHOCOALTE, umm all sorts of stuff that I can't send when it's warm out.

Only thing I stress with the boxes is make sure your guy knows that you are sending them. They only get a few each year and i've heard that they use them for different holidays etc.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Boxes

Always leave your box open til you have it weighed-I've had to removed an item or two because it was over the weight limit a few times. The post office will help you seal it afterward.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:14 AM

UPS is much cheaper than post office! Yes, leave box unsealed until you are sure it is LESS than 30 pounds. I learned the hard way. One box was two ounces over and it was sent back to me!!

Leave the popcorn in the box - just as you bought it home from the store. Note that in most commissaries, they can buy popcorn. I always send things that they can't get from Commissary. Am sending cheese and candy this time. Will put it in the freezer the night before mailing. In the morning, will then put the items in plastic bags and wrap with newspaper as insulation. UPS guarantees delivery within 48 hours, so nothing is going to melt. As soon as I know the box is at PCI, I'll call Case Manager and tell her the box is there and ask that she get it to Doc asap (because it includes cheese and chocolates).

I put the forms in a #10 envelope and write "Packing List Enclosed" and then tape the envelope to the box - on the top, to the left side. I then put a copy of the completed form inside the box. Have not had any problems doing it this way.

Don't worry about their rule re box sizes. You can't send more than 30 pounds so you won't need a terribly large box. Even if they say the size must not be larger than 12 x 24 x 28, you can use a box that is 12 x 20 x 30 or whatever.

FYI: Value is not to exceed $60 so play with the numbers until you get the total to be less than $60. Of course, if something has a price tag on it, that's the price you have to write on the form - if you aren't able to remove the price from the package.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

thanks for the UPS tip Sabrena

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Miss Independent

I just mailed one this afternoon on my way home from work! It was $6 something to send it. Patty, I do always leave it open until they weigh it, but this time it was clothes and I wasn't even close to the 30 pound limit.

I put my slip in an envelope, addressed it and taped it on, and the lady tried to charge me an extra 37c because it was a first class letter!! I asked for a plastic thing to stick it in. After I did that, she said, "oh, was it just an invoice? YOu could have just written that on there." UGH! After I had ripped it off and started over. And there were people behind me, too.

'til he's free
2011 Club Member #4
Old 07-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

the nerve of them!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonL
I just mailed one this afternoon on my way home from work! It was $6 something to send it. Patty, I do always leave it open until they weigh it, but this time it was clothes and I wasn't even close to the 30 pound limit.

I put my slip in an envelope, addressed it and taped it on, and the lady tried to charge me an extra 37c because it was a first class letter!! I asked for a plastic thing to stick it in. After I did that, she said, "oh, was it just an invoice? YOu could have just written that on there." UGH! After I had ripped it off and started over. And there were people behind me, too.
(((Shannon))) Where did you go...Post Office or UPS?

Old 07-08-2005, 03:40 PM

I have never heard that the amount has to be under $60.00 I have never had to watch that as long as I did not go over the 30 pounds for the box or there was not more than he could have.
As for the sealing the box before you get there. I have had to take ALOT out of one box that I sent because it was over 50 pounds. I have been writing everything down in a notebook and taking everything in bags and then adding it while it is on the scale so I can fill out the paper there and it is easier to get everything right. The time I had to take so much out I had to try to fix it all on the paper and it looked a mess. So I now do the paper at the post office. Takes a little longer but much easier. I can get it as close as I can with out going over that way! My father in law will not go with me to mail out boxes anymore because he was with me the time I had it so full. I was in the post office over an hour that day..
Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

i think when you're filling out the papers, you just can't make the Maximum amount allowed of that item be less than what you spent..........if they say popcorn can only be $3.00....and you spent $4.00, as long as the tag isn't showing, put $3.00

are we lying?.......sshhhh!, lol
Old 07-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Miss Independent

I went to the post office, Sabrena.

I've never heard that 60 rule, either. In fact, it can't be possible, becasue there are things on the list worth more than that that you're allowed to send. For example, you can send a watch worth 75 or so, wedding band is 100 I think, blanket was 40-50...

'til he's free
2011 Club Member #4
Old 07-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

it cost me about $6 to send mine too........a lot less than food! (mine was at the post office too)
Old 07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

I've always used the P.O. and send it insured And I have the box sealed and already weighed at home on my scale As far as the packing list (I place in an envelope and write his name and number on the outside), then the Postmaster seals it on the outside in a flat clear plastic pouch. ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING: Make sure on the return address has your FULL NAME. Initial and last names are not accepted. I learned the hard way, they sent the box back at my OWN expense So far I don't know if the lessor cost at UPS is worth the frustration of waiting to seal it. I like being able to drop at the counter, let them do their major and Walla! Sabrena

Old 07-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Miss Independent

OMG!! I'm pretty sure I put my first initial on the box I sent today. I will be so mad!! How did you find out about it coming back? Because I sent it with a previous address on it... my old address was the one I was approved under and I haven't changed it with them, so I put my old address on the box.

'til he's free
2011 Club Member #4
Old 07-09-2005, 05:56 AM

P.S. Another note re UPS. They print the weight right on the shipping label -- so you have proof that it is under 30 pounds. Post Office doesn't do this. For that fact alone, I'd use UPS. If the weight is clearly stated on the shipping label, some guy in Mail Room having a bad hair day can't say the box went over the 30 pound limit. He'll have to accept the weight that UPS shows.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonL
OMG!! I'm pretty sure I put my first initial on the box I sent today. I will be so mad!! How did you find out about it coming back? Because I sent it with a previous address on it... my old address was the one I was approved under and I haven't changed it with them, so I put my old address on the box.
Why not have your guy tell his Case Mgr of your address change so that they put it on the computer? Also, you should write to Case Mgr to inform him/her of your address change. That box won't be returned to you if it's under the 30 pounds so don't get too upset about it. Your guy will let you know if someone there doesn't approve the box. They have to give him a notice saying what was received and why it was not allowed or why it was returned to sender.
Closed Thread