Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM

hi does any one know any one that coming from sacramento area i could ride with to pelican bay
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
onetruelife

I visit someone there and that is already the amount of time they give you an hour to an hour and half, sometimes, I've gotten the full two hours and a few extra minutes! His family went, and they were able to get four full hours between them 5 went to visit him, so it just depends, would be nice if they let you use an extra slot though.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruelife View Post
I visit someone there and that is already the amount of time they give you an hour to an hour and half, sometimes, I've gotten the full two hours and a few extra minutes! His family went, and they were able to get four full hours between them 5 went to visit him, so it just depends, would be nice if they let you use an extra slot though.

Can I ask for more details? Which appt time do you have? Was this recently? How did they get 4 hours? I'm so anxious to hear if this is the new slots they were talking about.......

I've never got more than 1.5 hrs, often only 1 hr. My visit is the first one, where they begin processing in at 8.30am. By the time we've taken the bus etc it's often 9.15am by the time we get in to see them, then we are always told to leave latest 10.20am......so that's only an hour.

I've been going up there since 2009, my man is in D6.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
onetruelife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
Can I ask for more details? Which appt time do you have? Was this recently? How did they get 4 hours? I'm so anxious to hear if this is the new slots they were talking about.......

I've never got more than 1.5 hrs, often only 1 hr. My visit is the first one, where they begin processing in at 8.30am. By the time we've taken the bus etc it's often 9.15am by the time we get in to see them, then we are always told to leave latest 10.20am......so that's only an hour.

I've been going up there since 2009, my man is in D6.
It's in their policy to allow extra time when they can but they don't always do it, I'm not sure how it worked out that it happened that they got the full 4 hours except that it was their first time, and they were asking alot of questions, and granted his cousins are beautiful women, they spoke to the visiting sergent and he made the arrangements, I've spoken to him before but have never gotten that much time. Their appointment was 1 o'clock but they came in earlier at 10:30 a.m. and had a great visit back to back! I had forewarn them how bad this prison was, and whatyouknow, they had a great visit and time up there! I'm happy for them but yeah, my friend was confused as hell as to why they allowed them so much time!
The Following User Says Thank You to onetruelife For This Useful Post:
JavisLady (06-29-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default More colors we can wear to visiting!!! :-)

So, I was up in PB to see my finance this last weekend. It seems now the restrictions have been lifted on what color clothes we can wear - they told me, and the sign also did say - only no blue or orange.

Wow - that will make things a bit easier!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Pelican Bay Companion

Thank you for sharing the good news. I can only hope it becomes routine to have longer visiting hours with our loved ones in SHU.
I haven't been up there for about two years, but I'm due to go up there very soon and it would be nice to have a longer visiting period to catch up.
My baby is in D1.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 AM
SHUGirl4life

Question No means no

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I spoke with a PB visiting staff member on Friday regarding a request for a longer visit since I am driving down all the way from Canada (28 hours!).

I was told that the guys in the SHU are only supposed to have 1 hour visits and that I should be thankful to get the time we are already given!

This is so frustrating! My guys time slot is 1pm to 3pm. Does anyone know if there is another way to get more time or an additional day?

Keeping calm,

Lisa

Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandaisy View Post
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I spoke with a PB visiting staff member on Friday regarding a request for a longer visit since I am driving down all the way from Canada (28 hours!).

I was told that the guys in the SHU are only supposed to have 1 hour visits and that I should be thankful to get the time we are already given!

This is so frustrating! My guys time slot is 1pm to 3pm. Does anyone know if there is another way to get more time or an additional day?

Keeping calm,

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I was up there last weekend, my visit is the first one - check in at 8am, they began processing us in at 8.20, rode the bus to SHU got there about 8.45am then made to leave around 10.20am......so it was longer than an hour but idk how the other lady's family got a 4-hour visit - if only!!!

Maybe you can talk to them when you get there? They are, for the most part, pleasant people to deal with face-to-face, with the usual couple of exceptions of course.

Good luck - and enjoy your visit whatever time you get!!! I know it already means the world to your man that you are coming all that way!!!

Best wishes,

Valerie

Last edited by JavisLady; 07-22-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 03:49 PM

Default Good Time to Arrive for Visit

I have a couple of quick questions. First, does this prison have a line of cars that wait outside of the gate like other prisons on visit day? If not, what is a good time to get there for visitor processing? In other words, how early should we get there? My BF is on A-yard and it would be a contact visit. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

No line at all ever! Yes really. You can't enter the visiting reception until 8am so no need to get there before then. They start processing SHU visitors first, around 8.20am - 8.30am. I've never seen what time they start processing GP visitors (as I'm always on the bus to SHU) but I think your guys' visits start at 9am don't they?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
No line at all ever! Yes really. You can't enter the visiting reception until 8am so no need to get there before then. They start processing SHU visitors first, around 8.20am - 8.30am. I've never seen what time they start processing GP visitors (as I'm always on the bus to SHU) but I think your guys' visits start at 9am don't they?
Yeah, they start at 9. Well thanks for the info. It really helps alot.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

I inquired about the extended visits. They have extended some visits, HOWEVER, these were for D only, as they are first. With that said, there have also been changes in the visiting staff and the newer one's are are more by the book. My SHU visit on Sunday was short due to staff issues, we did not get on the bus till 1:35 and left at 2:50.
JavisLady (08-09-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,952 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmoonwoman View Post
I inquired about the extended visits. They have extended some visits, HOWEVER, these were for D only, as they are first. With that said, there have also been changes in the visiting staff and the newer one's are are more by the book. My SHU visit on Sunday was short due to staff issues, we did not get on the bus till 1:35 and left at 2:50.
I'm sorry to hear that
Hope you had a nice visit otherwise
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Question

Does anyone know if theres an extra visiting day for labor day at pbsp. ive been trying to call everyday and get no answer
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritorres View Post
Does anyone know if theres an extra visiting day for labor day at pbsp. ive been trying to call everyday and get no answer
Extra Days Are As Follows (I got a printout from the COs a few weeks ago when I was there):

(No Labor Day)

Thanksgiving Day/Friday November 23, 2012 through Sunday November 25, 2012

Christmas Day/Saturday December 22, 2012 through Monday December 24, 2012

New Year's Day/Saturday December 29, 2012 through Monday December 31, 2012
The Following User Says Thank You to oc~at~heart For This Useful Post:
onetruelife (11-04-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc~at~heart View Post
Extra Days Are As Follows (I got a printout from the COs a few weeks ago when I was there):

(No Labor Day)

Thanksgiving Day/Friday November 23, 2012 through Sunday November 25, 2012

Christmas Day/Saturday December 22, 2012 through Monday December 24, 2012

New Year's Day/Saturday December 29, 2012 through Monday December 31, 2012

Thx for the info I called today and theyfinally pick up after the tenth time.they told me to call on Monday and ask??? My hubby called me today and said he asked someone that's be locked up there for 5yrs n he said ya????
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritorres View Post
Thx for the info I called today and theyfinally pick up after the tenth time.they told me to call on Monday and ask??? My hubby called me today and said he asked someone that's be locked up there for 5yrs n he said ya????
I can only go by what they told me when I was up there a few weeks ago. One girl asked about Labor Day before visiting was over, they told us no, and that's why they gave us the copies of visiting dates. I'm gonna try and scan it and upload it for you. I would definitely doublecheck with the CO's because you do not want to drive all the way up there just for nothing.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM

I hope this shows up right, this is what they gave me when I was up there. It was my first time going, so I don't know how they handled visiting days in the past. Let me know if they say yes about Labor Day when you call on Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (40.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Is What He Calls Me

Good morning, oc is right, there r only 4 observed holidays where we get a 3 day visit which r the 3 she named along with the 4th of July. Labor day was taken away due to budget cuts is what we were told, and I've been visiting pelican bay for almost 2 years now... God bless us ALL!!!
The JOY of the LORD IS OUR STRENGTH
GOD BLESS US ALL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsBeautiful For This Useful Post:
maritorres (08-13-2012), oc~at~heart (08-13-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
So, I was up in PB to see my finance this last weekend. It seems now the restrictions have been lifted on what color clothes we can wear - they told me, and the sign also did say - only no blue or orange.

Wow - that will make things a bit easier!
I was up there a few weeks ago and I saw a lady with a completely olive green blouse get through fine. Do you think I am safe to wear an olive green shirt when I go this weekend?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

I would double check on the green, my cheetah print skirt was accepted and rejected. Meaning there was discussion about it, in the end, if you go to the SHU area for visits, they can reject it. Call and double check on the green. The clothes you can borrow are often not flattering.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmoonwoman View Post
I would double check on the green, my cheetah print skirt was accepted and rejected. Meaning there was discussion about it, in the end, if you go to the SHU area for visits, they can reject it. Call and double check on the green. The clothes you can borrow are often not flattering.

Wow, discussion over cheetah print, that's insane. I tried calling but no one ever picks up. I'll just wear something different on Saturday's visit, and ask personally when I leave about the green shirt for the next day. And like always, I'll have extras in the car. Thanks for the tip you feline femme fatale.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to visiting at Pelican Bay. Well never visited there period. I was told that you can show up in person, fill out the visiting form there and find out if you are approved on the spot? Has anyone heard of this? My bf is encouraging me to do this since he heard it can be done and I have been approved before. It sounds risky to go all the way over there and take a chance like that. I did send a visiting form in around a month ago, so maybe it's wiser to wait.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

I suggest, going to the top of the Pelican Bay page and read the Sticky Notes Visiting Handbook. DO NOT GO UP THERE UNLESS YOU ARE CLEARED FOR A VISIT. It is better to call, and get the information directly with this kind of issue. Each prison is a little different. You will not want to make a 12 hour dive plus gas and hotel and be turned away. Good Luck
Dee186 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee186 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to visiting at Pelican Bay. Well never visited there period. I was told that you can show up in person, fill out the visiting form there and find out if you are approved on the spot? Has anyone heard of this? My bf is encouraging me to do this since he heard it can be done and I have been approved before. It sounds risky to go all the way over there and take a chance like that. I did send a visiting form in around a month ago, so maybe it's wiser to wait.
Hi Dee,

I too, have never heard of visiting being approved on the spot. That sounds crazy as they have to do a background check don't they?
Closed Thread