Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Question on Tablets at OSP

i have a young man i correspond with at OSP. i'm considering getting him a tablet (he doesn't have much family), but am really having a hard time finding any information on this.

i see the players - he's said he can get one. But i have no idea where to put money, how much, if there's some special process or such. Does anyone know? i have accounts on both Jpay and ConnectNetwork. i get the feeling like Jpay is being phased out? On ConnectNetwork, there is a Pin Debit and a Debit link - and AdvancePay. i guess i am just not sure where and how much to deposit.

And can anyone speak to the costs/quality of the content available on a tablet? Is it free or how much does it cos?. Especially interested in things like audiobooks or books in general - since i know that is important to him. If there's a big restrictions in content for the smaller one vs the bigger one? Is there any way i can see the content available and costs of the content online?

i called ConnectNetwork customer service but they seemed to know even less about the whole process than i did.

Anyways, any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 AM
Account Closed

Hi! The Jp5 mini is $79.99 and the Jp5 I can’t quite recall. About $50 more I think.
If you go on to Jpay you can buy him one on there (adding him as an inmate should bring this option up if he’s allowed one. It can take up to 40 odd days for them to receive it.
Not sure of all the differences. They pay for music, news, stamps to email and videogram. It can alter slightly prison to prison though. That’s just what J has available at Lebanon. He recently upgraded from a Jp4 mini to a 5 but I don’t actually know if it’s a mini 5 or full size.
You can send them money to use for Media and you can also buy them or transfer them stamps that they can use to correspond with anyone on their Jpay. Or you can send a prepaid reply - this means they can only reply to you with that stamp though

Having said all that. It might be worth him trying to find out if they have any plans to roll out the GTL tablet phones there. J is getting them at Leb within the next few months and I’m not sure yet but I’m guessing they could possibly be replacing Jpay altogether.

Last edited by LeaLea; 06-17-2018 at 03:20 AM..
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaLea View Post
Hi! The Jp5 mini is $79.99 and the Jp5 I canít quite recall. About $50 more I think.
If you go on to Jpay you can buy him one on there (adding him as an inmate should bring this option up if heís allowed one. It can take up to 40 odd days for them to receive it.
Not sure of all the differences. They pay for music, news, stamps to email and videogram. It can alter slightly prison to prison though. Thatís just what J has available at Lebanon. He recently upgraded from a Jp4 mini to a 5 but I donít actually know if itís a mini 5 or full size.
You can send them money to use for Media and you can also buy them or transfer them stamps that they can use to correspond with anyone on their Jpay. Or you can send a prepaid reply - this means they can only reply to you with that stamp though

Having said all that. It might be worth him trying to find out if they have any plans to roll out the GTL tablet phones there. J is getting them at Leb within the next few months and Iím not sure yet but Iím guessing they could possibly be replacing Jpay altogether.
Thanks so much! That really helps. That is really good information. i hadn't realized that JP tablets were specific to only Jpay - though in retrospect, it seems a bit obvious. And yes, you are absolutely right, i am almost certain GTL is replacing Jpay in Ohio. i use GTL now for most things. Their fees for sending money are less. My understanding based on a conversation with the person i correspond with is that everyone has already gotten "phone" tablets. They can listen to music on them and make calls. But you still have to buy the full-size ones for additional content. It sounds like those may not be available. They do have this page that talks about them.

Edit - i can't post URLs yet. But it's on GTLs webpage.

But even when i call up GTL customer service, they seem to not know how much they cost or how to buy them.