Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Missouri prison system.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 AM

Question Another rumor? Bill to get rid of all the mandatory minimums?

My husband has said there is a lot of rumor going around about a bill to get rid of all the mandatory minimums: i.e. 40%, 85% etc. I have looked and looked but cannot find anything on it. Does anyone know of anything or is it just another rumor going around?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Look up sb 445 AD hb 1067.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Oops...I meant "AND"
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
PTO Research Assistant

My son called today and said he heard today at lunch that the 85% mandatory had been lowered to 70%. According to him, he said the bill was passed to make this change. Of course we are looking for confirmation on this. Anyone else hear about it? If so please give details. That would mean my son would be coming home now.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Msveggie,

I would love if this were true. Unfortunately, most of the rumors are just that: rumors. The HB 1067 bill which would have helped get the mandatory minimum down for crushed in the puclib hearing last month so it is no longer on the docket for this year. In addition, Rep. McGhee (who was sponsoring it, and has sponsored similar bills in the past couple of years) will no longer be sponsoring any additional bills in the next coming years because this is his last year in office. SB 445 which is sponsored by Goodman has not had any activity since January, but has until the end of the year to: "
The committee's charge is to report to the General Assembly by December 31, 2012, its recommendations for ways to harmonize, organize and revise the criminal laws." Basically, this is just offering a revision to the Missouri Criminal Code which may or may not affect the minimum sentencing. All of this being said, I fear what your son heard is false. However, we must not give up hope as there are always new things popping up to help reduce the 85%. But, this year...it is a no go.

I'm so sorry. I feel the pain as well and hate that the inmates and us (their loved ones) get our hopes up time after time because of rumors. When all is said and done, the only thing that will actually work is to get new bills signed. We can always look forward to next year! That being said, I believe if we had enough supporters this go round things would have went differently. We all HAVE to be in constant communication with lawmakers and congressmen in order for them tohear our voices and see that the 85% NEEDS TO CHANGE! Good luck to you and definitely keep your eyes and ears open. You never know!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM

I forgot to mention...there was a new bill signed I believe in April that changed the mandatory sentencing on certain crack cocaine offenders. However, I believe this was just a flat out 10 year mandatory minimum...don't think it had anything to do with percentages. In addition, many bills have been signed recently that have SOMETHING to do with our prison system so hopefully this will create a domino affect and we can get the 85% abolished soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to jewelston For This Useful Post:
dcrc50 (09-10-2012)