Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Wives & Girlfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wives & Girlfriends in Prison For everyone who has a wife, girlfriend, or female partner incarcerated.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Another Christmas apart

I'm trying to conjure up some Christmas spirit but it's not easy. My wife's mom, one of her sisters, our daughter and I will visit on Christmas. The VR's always crowded on holidays, especially Christmas. We hope not to get cut too short. Nobody will be in much of a festive mood. Decorations are mostly for kids who visit. How do you wish someone you love a happy new year when you know it won't be? Sorry, feeling a little down. Holidays affect me that way. I hope all of you have a good holiday season. Be safe.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-23-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (12-22-2017), K6770 (12-28-2017), missingdee (12-22-2017), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (12-22-2017), Wolf9785 (12-22-2017), xolady (12-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,115 Times in 1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
I'm trying to conjure up some Christmas spirit but it's not easy. My wife's mom, one of her sisters, our daughter and I will visit on Christmas. The VR's always crowded on holidays, especially Christmas. We hope not to get cut too short. Nobody will be in much of a festive mood. Decorations are mostly for kids who visit. How do you wish someone you love a happy new year when you know it won't be? Sorry, feeling a little down. Holidays affect me that way. I hope all of you have a good holiday season. Be safe.
It's all rhetorical. And even if you aren't facing a life sentence, any multi-year sentence, any holiday-time visit where you know you're looking forward to the exact same thing a year from then (in Dee's case it was worse because we didn't even get holiday visits after Year 2 so we couldn't even commisserate....I consider us very lucky in terms of the fact that we had an end date, but that didn't make the holidays easier.) Well.....it's bad.

That said, I hope your family does find some joy in being able to see her and spend some time together. Dare I suggest, for moments, it might even feel slightly "normal" even knowing that it's just for a few moments and within the confines of the walls......just to have family together in one place.

I'm not sure what hurt me worse, though. The fact that we couldn't be together for the Holidays. Or having to go behind those damn walls.

Hope the visit is a good one. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours, Wilkes. And thank you for all the support and perspective that you give here on PTO.

-E

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-22-2017), K6770 (12-28-2017), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (12-22-2017), WaitingWilkes (12-22-2017), xolady (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Hope the visit is a good one. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours, Wilkes. And thank you for all the support and perspective that you give here on PTO.

Thanks for your kindness and thanks also for taking time to moderate. Best wishes to you and Dee for 2018!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-22-2017), missingdee (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,104 Posts

I just hope you have the best holiday possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-22-2017), WaitingWilkes (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,623 Times in 11,025 Posts

I can only offer you a parallax view - she's not dead, you don't hate each other, you apparently have a solid if unconventional relationship that suits you both...those are good things that you still have. It's not a whole raving bunch of good, but those are your bright spots, and you need to cling to them!

Wilkes, life is peculiar and confounding at the best of times (I will bear witness!!!). So for whatever it's worth, have the Happiest Holiday you can. Smile, laugh, treasure each other.

And hugs to all~
choclgs (12-23-2017), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (12-22-2017), WaitingWilkes (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I just hope you have the best holiday possible.
Thanks. Same to you. We'll do our best.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
I can only offer you a parallax view - she's not dead, you don't hate each other, you apparently have a relationship that suits you both...those are good things that you still have. It's not a whole raving bunch of good, but those are your bright spots, and you need to cling to them!

Wilkes, life is peculiar and confounding at the best of times (I will bear witness!!!). So for whatever it's worth, have the Happiest Holiday you can. Smile, laugh, treasure each other.

And hugs to all~
I guess our marriage can be described as "solid if unconventional". We've been "together" longer than a lot of free world couples we know. Things could be worse. We count our blessings. It doesn't take long. Life is definitely peculiar and confounding when incarceration's involved. I sometimes wonder what we would have done if we could have seen the future when we fell in love. Would we have gone ahead and enjoyed the 5 years we had together, knowing what the rest of our lives would be like? I guess everyone wonders how their lives might have gone if only this or that.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-23-2017)