Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Tennessee should be posted here.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,487 Times in 835 Posts
Default Refuse Parole?

My son had a visit from parole 14 months into his 3 year sentence( March 2010 )and was told that she would reccomend that he be paroled in 30 days. The parole board met and said that he could be paroled January 2011!! He had been a model prisoner.. We have no idea what happened. He was doing state time in a terrible county jail.

After he saw that he had more time to do, he started working to get in better conditions in a prison and he did get transferred. Now he is thinking that instead of doing 66% of his time, that he will just serve it all and come out clean...Does this make sense? Can you refuse your parole?? How early could he got out of a 3 year sentence?

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of sound mind.
II Timothy 1:7
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaslow View Post
My son had a visit from parole 14 months into his 3 year sentence( March 2010 )and was told that she would reccomend that he be paroled in 30 days. The parole board met and said that he could be paroled January 2011!! He had been a model prisoner.. We have no idea what happened. He was doing state time in a terrible county jail.

After he saw that he had more time to do, he started working to get in better conditions in a prison and he did get transferred. Now he is thinking that instead of doing 66% of his time, that he will just serve it all and come out clean...Does this make sense? Can you refuse your parole?? How early could he got out of a 3 year sentence?
Yes, it does make sense. If he were to be paroled (which is as difficult as being behind the fence) he most likely will be on parole longer than his sentence. For example he has completed 2 years inside and has 3 years parole. If he just stays the last year (don't forget he gets good time credits every month so his sentence is automatically lowered) when he leaves prison he leaves it ALL done, no parole officer to meet with (who more often than not -- unpleasant people to deal with), no monthly parole fees to pay..... Does this help you understand the reasons why so many do refuse parole? I saw it many times with my inmates and finally my husband explained it all to me.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM

My OB said he would rather do the time and be able to get out and go wherever he pleases rather than get out on paper and have to abide by the restraints that probation puts on parolees.
Can't say as I blame him.
RO
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM

My husband has considered doing the same. The difference between serving out his sentence and doing parole time is not much different. He does not want to have to go to see the parole officer, pay the fees, etc. and have that over his head while he is out.
<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i5vu076c/n171/cf104/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pc6d0000/tceac8d5/fs100/szw320/szh135/tatCountdown%20to%20Freedom!/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/mac000/mpc000/iso2025-05-01T00:00:00" allowTransparency="true" frameborder="0" width="320" height="135"></iframe>
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Hi Amaslow,
I spent 3 years inside for the illegal possession of a narcotic. I have a severe pain syndrome and could not find the help I needed and did the stupid thing… I self medicated. I broke the law and I served my time, all of it. It’s not as uncommon as you may think to make the conscious decision to stay inside as opposed to having a constant “leash” around your neck, visits to your home (or worse, your loved ones home) which they have the right to search without a warrant because a parolee lives there, the need for parole officers to notify a workplace and stop in makes it even more challenging for parolees to find suitable employment (most businesses don’t want “cops” around etc) and a slew of other pleasant things. If the parolee slips up and is late for curfew or drinks a beer and gets caught, then he/she has to go through the system again, beginning with the reception area of the prison (which always is the worst) then has to go to a dorm, with many bunks, is separated from people he/she knows, which is also more dangerous, then maybe if he/she is lucky, to another unit…Basically has to go through the “process” all over again. If the inmate is in a “livable” space right now, they may choose to remain there vs. going through the ringer again. The other drawback is that whatever property the inmate had (TV,FAN,RADIO, SHORTS, T-SHIRTS, CANTEEN ITEMS) has to be repurchased as you can’t bring it back in. That alone is expensive and uncomfortable to say the least. Some may say, “well, why doesn’t he/she just stay out of trouble and NOT go back in”? It’s a logical question, the answer is you “can be retuned to prison for any reason or no reason at all” (that is in the parole paperwork that the inmate signs) this means that you have even less of a sense of “security” on the outside than on the inside. One slip or even a perceived slip and back you go to start over again. Some of the reasons that I personally have seen parolees returned for, are stunningly ridiculous. (One example is a guy that was for driving a vehicle with a headlight out.. Seriously, I read the paperwork) Anyway, sorry if this is long winded. It’s got to be difficult to understand from the outside looking in, but the reality inside is quite different than what you see in a movie or TV show. Sometimes it actually makes more sense to MAX, not only for the inmate but also for his/her family as well. Hang in there and best of luck to you both.