Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxious73 View Post
Thanks for the question(s) invite! So, I will report soon, on a 12 month sentence (NOT 12m1day). My attorney tells me that I will really only serve 6 months and get 6 months HH time. THEN, PreTrial Officer tells me that NO, I won't get any HH time since my sentence isn't over a year. So, then, my attorney says it's all up to the BOP at Alderson, that I need to be really nice and sweet to my case manager, because it's all up to them......Please reply if anyone has the particulars to this.
Thank you!
Hi! Well if the people at Alderson have their way (and they usually do), you will not get halfway house time, but trust me, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Most halfway houses are run down, in bad neighborhoods and co-ed. I was dying to get halfway house time and looking back on things, I should have stayed at Alderson. You are safer, have more freedom, better food, cleaner conditions, etc., etc., I was ready to get home and get started on my new life, but the halfway house makes this next to impossible, so if they don't offer you halfway house time, don't be too upset. Take this time to heal and get your game plan for when you get back to your home!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisa410 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-02-2016), Nicoletta26 (06-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2016, 03:10 AM

Red face Self surrender soon

HI ALL! Going to ss on or before July 15th (next few week) on a 12m1d sentence
Can anyone please tell me the comminsary days of the week or how it's regulated etc.. Goes by inmate numbers? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,964 Times in 11,669 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. Commissary shopping days are based on inmate ID numbers, but they change (rotate) every 3 months to a different day. You won't know until you arrive.

Many prisons do allow new inmates to shop immediately by writing "first time shopper" on the commissary order sheet, but I don't know if Alderson does that or not.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcards View Post
I was a Alderson. I have been home almost a year. You Mom is at the best place as far as those places go. If you can make sure she has some funds to get some comfortable shoes and a headset and some comfort food.
There are some good people there, and some bad. Tell her to be careful.
Hopefully she is a good judge of character. She won't have to do all of the time. It is up to her case manager as far as how much halfway house time that she will get. If you have any specific questions I can answer. I have some friends there still.
I haven't heard from my mom n like 2 weeks i hope everything is okay with her
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrock130 View Post
I am putting this here for anyone who is looking for info on Alderson. Beckers and Queenbee129 are there and we are corresponding. They now have Skype at Alderson. This is new since my daughter was there. If you have any questions I will try to get you answers. Just contact me.
Hi I am new to all of this I have to self surrender November 16,2017 and I was wondering if they sold sweat pants and good shoes? Also do the sony radio come with ear buds are do you have to buy them seperate? Also how much can you spend on commissary for the months of November and December?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinky1948 View Post
I left Alderson in early April. Will be happy to give any advice I can. It is a great place - if you have to go that is. Just ask. I was there 2 years and it wasn't bad at all.
Did time go by fast I got a 27 month sentence and was told that i will probably only have to do 23 months out of that. What did you do to pass the time. And is the food good
Old 11-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Thanked 1,452 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal1178 View Post
Hi I am new to all of this I have to self surrender November 16,2017 and I was wondering if they sold sweat pants and good shoes? Also do the sony radio come with ear buds are do you have to buy them seperate? Also how much can you spend on commissary for the months of November and December?

Here's the commissary list, which lists what clothes they sell.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...D_CommList.pdf

https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...aohandbook.pdf
Old 11-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The available athletic shoes and boots that are sold through the commissary are not always listed on the order sheet, but rather in a physical display at the commissary.

Radios and MP3 players have earphones in the box so it is not necessary to buy a different one. Yes they do sell sweatsuits, which come in very handy if the prison gets too cold. In November & December 100 extra phone minutes, and $50.00 in extra commissary spending limit are added in each month.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Default time

[quote=lostinky1948;7446056]I left Alderson in early April. Will be happy to give any advice I can. It is a great place - if you have to go that is. Just ask. I was there 2 years and it wasn't bad at all.[/QUOTE

What should I do to make my time seem to go by quicker? I am fixing to self surrender to alderson fpc November 16, 2017. Please give me all the advice you can
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanked 1,452 Times in 797 Posts

While you wait for people with better information, I'll pass along some of the secondhand stuff I've read.

Have goals. It could be fitness goals, learning a new skill, any kind of self improvement.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 PM

If you could please tell me, do the sony radio come with headphones are do you half to by them seperate? Also do they have sweat pants and shirts on the commissary and how much do they cost? I looked at the list that they had on the bop website but it didn't say. It doesn't give a price for the bras either and are they real bras or sports bras?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,823 Posts

Are sweat pants listed on the commissary list? If not that means they do not sell them. I looked at the list and it clearly states what clothing items ARE available.

Radios comes with headphones

Bra prices are like shoe prices; they change depending on what brand and style they have at the time. You will not get a more concrete answer than that until you get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-07-2017)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 PM

Default Info on alderson

I just left alderson last october and i would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Just let me know.

Last edited by Beamer1002; 02-15-2018 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Beamer1002 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-16-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM

What is the visitation schedule? What activities are there to pass the time? What are the other inmates like? How about the staff? Food?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums.

There is much information about visitation, the inmate rules (A&O Handbook) and the commissary list on the bop Alderson web page.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/ald/

For general information about bop minimum security camps for women. check the 37 page PTO sticky here.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...=50568&page=37
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousnscared View Post
What is the visitation schedule? What activities are there to pass the time? What are the other inmates like? How about the staff? Food?
I actually used to work in visitation - not a job I would recommend. Visitation was Friday through Monday and holidays. Times are different on Fridays and Mondays. I would call the facility or check their website before you go. They are very strict about visitation. You must be on an inmates approved visitation list to get in. You also can't bring anything with you (to prevent contraband from coming in). There is also an age cut-off for kids. Again check their website or call the facility to get all of the details as things can change without notice.

There are very few activities at Alderson. I was so bored while I was there. They do have a small gym and a small library for 1200 women but that's it. I spent most of my time sleeping and reading. They canceled a lot of the classes so educational opportunities are limited as well. There is a walking track on the upper compound and some outside exercise equipment but that's pretty much it.

The staff is horrible. They talk badly to inmates and look for every chance they can to jam you up so they can get ahead. There were several staff that recently got legally jammed up there so I would definitely avoid contact with them if you can. The women are okay. There is a lot of gossiping and pettiness but you will quickly figure out who to avoid to stay out of drama.

Sorry to be so blunt but it's better to know what to expect than to walk in blind like I did. I was at Hazelton first (low security) and I would have rather stayed at Hazelton than go to Alderson. I am just so grateful that it's over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beamer1002 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-22-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Monday took my wife to Alderson. She called yesterday wants me to get her a calling card service so it wont cost 22 cents a minute . She says I can get one for 6 cents a minute. If I do this will she get in more trouble? And does anyone have a recommendation for what service and how it works. I don't know anything about calling cards Thanks ?
Old 03-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There's no way I know of for her to use a calling card since toll free numbers can't be called from the bop's inmate telephone service. Call forwarding services like Google voice are forbidden, and often result in a conduct violation and the loss of all phone use for months as a punishment.

One thing that is allowed is having a cell phone assigned a local phone number to her prison by your provider (area code & prefix). If the number she dials goes directly to your cell phone, it doesn't matter where that phone is located. Local calls cost 6 cents/min, long distance costs 21 cents/min.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Default So many questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinky1948 View Post
I left Alderson in early April. Will be happy to give any advice I can. It is a great place - if you have to go that is. Just ask. I was there 2 years and it wasn't bad at all.
Will be going in July I canít find a lot about Alderson. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated, from what to expect, clothes, meals, working, how safe it is, the commissary, do you have tall lockers or short, ac/heat in dorms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boonite For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-19-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM

Unhappy Alderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonite View Post
Will be going in July I canít find a lot about Alderson. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated, from what to expect, clothes, meals, working, how safe it is, the commissary, do you have tall lockers or short, ac/heat in dorms.
any help would be appreciated
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 PM

Default Parking @ Alderson

I'm driving to ss in early July to Alderson for a 30 day sentence. Does anyone know of any location where I could park my car for that month? I've called the Hospitality House and left a message for a return call on this same question. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are the housing units kept crazy cold or is it reasonable?