Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Default State Codes

Folks, I'm a bit confused here. My friend asked me to look up another inmate, at his facility, to see if he was from my friend's home state. My friend gave me the guy's state code and it's "424." I looked at FedCure and saw that state codes only go to "098!"

Anyone have information on this discrepancy? Are there International Codes, for US Federal Inmates, that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any/all insights!!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:07 AM

It's the last 3 numbers of the inmate's register number. Perhaps he gave you the first 3 numbers instead? If you have a name, you can look him up on the BOP Inmate Locator to find the full number.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Don't try, DO!

The United States Marshals Service and the Federal Bureau of Prisons assigns a eight digit "Register Number" to all offenders in the following format: XXXXX-0XX. The last three digits signify the district wherein the offender was arrested and or processed into the system.

424 would be the northern district of Illinois
fbopnomore (05-27-2018), patchouli (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Folks, I'm a bit confused here. My friend asked me to look up another inmate, at his facility, to see if he was from my friend's home state. My friend gave me the guy's state code and it's "424." I looked at FedCure and saw that state codes only go to "098!"

Anyone have information on this discrepancy? Are there International Codes, for US Federal Inmates, that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any/all insights!!
Federal 424 is actually Northern District of Illinois. I know this only because that is ours. For instance, my husband's number is xxxxx-424. The last 3 digits have to do with what region/district the person is from. 424 includes Chicago. Most guys where my husband is that are from Chicago proper and see my husband's number automatically assume he is from the city, but we are suburbanites and they also have some pre-conceived notions of what he should look like too. That is unfortunate, but I guess that is life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-28-2018), hawkcub09 (05-28-2018), maytayah (05-28-2018)