Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 AM

Default Awaiting Sentencing

I am currently awaiting sentencing on a charge of conspiracy to commit bank fraud for the amounts of above 70k but below 120k. I am curious to find out if anyone has any knowledge of a charge like this and if so, how much jail time does it normally carry?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfreeze View Post
I am currently awaiting sentencing on a charge of conspiracy to commit bank fraud for the amounts of above 70k but below 120k. I am curious to find out if anyone has any knowledge of a charge like this and if so, how much jail time does it normally carry?
Your lawyer or US defender should beable to tell your the sentencing guidelines. We don't know the specifics of your case and can't give you an answer.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Well so far, the government is asking for 33-41 but when I received my PSR the PO who did it used a different dollar amount (which my lawyer is disputing) and it increased the guidelines and the guidelines are now 41-56. Just looking for anyone who knows of someone who may have been in the same situation and can give me a little background. The total points given on the PSR is 22. The points are high because they have tacked on an obstruction of justice and ringleader charge.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Resident Smart Ass

DJ - I know this is waaaaaay easier said than done, so before you even read this, I know you will be thinking its impossible. But the one thing I could recommend is to try your darndest not to think about the "how long's" and "when's" of your case. When it comes you will find out. and trust me, regardless if you get sentenced to 2 months or 20 years, it's going to seem live forever for you. But let that time come later. For now, enjoy the time with your family. Make memories that both you and your family will remember while you are away. I know that we spend sooo much time and energy stressing over what was to come, that we didn't enjoy any of our time together before his "little vacation." Like I said, I KNOW it will be hard to do, but when you find yourself thinking about what's going to happen, just breathe deep and say to yourself "I'm here now, and my family needs me now. But as you've probably read on here, things can go either way, and I know you want an answer now, so you know what to expect, but the truth is anything we give you would just be our guess.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"
- Eleanor Roosevelt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stangloverswife For This Useful Post:
beccasmom (10-03-2009), ZainyJoe (04-30-2011)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Default In the same boat.

Hey I have to agree with the post above. I am looking at no less then two years up to 20 yrs. I have been dealing with this for almost a year. My sentencing is set for Nov. 12, 2009 and I am just enjoying the time I have with my family and friends. Make all the memories you can now. As I have read on others posts, those will be what will get you thru. Also read all you can on here. I spend about 1 hr a day on here reading and learning from others posts on here. I know it's easier said then done, but I am doing it. I know you can't forget about it. But if you sit and worry about it now and then again once you are finally sentenced you have only worried twiced and lost precious time with your family and loved ones. One thing I have learned from reading everyone's posts on here is nobody can guess what the judge will do on that day we stand in front of them and take our punishment.
The Following User Says Thank You to sassylatina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Thank you so much for those kind words. Everything that you are saying is true but that day is coming along sooner rather than later. I have been reassured by my lawyer that I will be able to self surrender which could take at least 6-8 weeks. So this gives me a little bit more time to spend with my family. I am finding that the more time I spend with my family the more I am regretting the day when I have to leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to djfreeze For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM

AWWW DJ...I am so sorry! You have received some great advice. My son was arrested and not released from custody, so he didn't get the time to prepare and spend time with his family. His daughter was 2 1/2 weeks old when he was arrested. Anyway, be strong for your family, but be strong for you first. Just remember to cherish your family and let them cherish you. Also, one thing that comes to mind is to remember that your placement is just as important as your length of sentence. I wish you and sassylatina all the luck in the world.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iam4myman For This Useful Post:
beccasmom (10-03-2009), djfreeze (10-03-2009), sassylatina (10-02-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 PM

DJ........ I know what you mean. When my kids are at school and I am home alone is usually when I break down. Just thinking of all the things I am going to miss. But I try not to let them see that side of me. I think alot of how I would never have done any of this if I had been thinking clearly. It was my own bad judgement that has gotten me here. We just have to look at the positive things in our lives. I know it's hard to do but we have to remember this will be behind us soon. I was talking with a friend yesterday about her daughters wedding and when she said they would be celebrating their 5th anniversary next year I was floored. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. I have read lots of great threads on here about how keeping busy on the inside will help the time go by faster. Another "hint" I guess I have gotten from a friend. Don't look at it in terms of years. She looked at everything in terms of days. She said everynight she would say. One more day over and one day closer to being home. She said keeping busy and looking at the days vs years helped her get thru it since she was far away from her family. I can only hope that our time will fly by and one day we will meet up here again and be on the other side and share our stories of how we survived it all.

PSRNMOM - Thank you for your good wishes and I am so sorry that your son was not given the time to prepare and spend time with loved ones. To bad the BOP dosn't realize that families need that time to prepare.
The Following User Says Thank You to sassylatina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 10:39 AM

The thing that really hurts is that I have a son who graduates high school this year and he is going to college and I will miss this. I also have teenage daughters and I am afraid about what will happen when I am gone. When I am home my girls know what I tolerate and what I don't, I just hope that even though I will be away from them physically, that they still carry themselves in the same manner as if I were still home. I know that they have their mothers but it is not the same as DAD not being around.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 PM

DJ, I can feel your pain. Sounds like you are good man that made some bad decisions. I know exactly what you are going through. What people have posted is the truth. I have fought this for years now and I have gone through every emotion that you can imagine from being as low as one can feel with so much guilt that I feel like I am going to die to remembering all of the good things in my life, my kids, my wife of 20 years and all of the good things that we have accomplished.

I have looked at the senarios much like you have and want answers that cannot be answered. How much time, where will I go, how hard is it going to be, etc. These are things that no matter how much you try to estimate or want someone to tell you what will happen, these are things that cannot be calculated or answered until you stand before the Judge who ultimately decides the answers to all of your questions. Sure there are guidelines and estimates but that is all they are estimates. Every case is different and every persons life is unique and will affect the outcome.

The only thing that I have found from speaking with others from this site as well as my pastor and family is that they will be there for me and my life will be on cruise control until I get back on the drivers side. There is absolutely nothing that you can do at this point except pray and spend time with your family. It is not the end of your life or the people that mean the most to you. Prepare yourself and the others that will be affected and be honest with them and be honest with your self. Accept the fact that you have no control of your life for some time going forward and there is no way to know how much time that will be, however you can set expectations for yourself and how you will benefit from this experience and how it will ultimately improve you and bring your family and friends closer to you.

You did not commit murder or have drugs all over your home, it is a "paper crime" that you decided to commit and now it is time to pay for those decisions just like everyone else that also has committed the same.

I have spent much time as you are right now and one of the things that I have done that has helped me more than anything else is to understand that I have no control at this point and I can only have faith in God and pray that God will allow my attorney to do the best that he can to help me and my family. Everytime I feel that gut wrenching feeling, I take a deep breath and say in my mind " I have no control, it is in Gods hands now and I will face what I must face with the confidence that God will take care of me and my family for whatever time I must be away " I know that is easier said than done but you must have some type of closure even though this is just the beginning. I almost went completely crazy before finding a way to deal with everything. It has been good, I have turned it over to God and by doing so it has allowed me to concentrate on my life TODAY and cherish everyday the things that I have taken for granted for so many years. If nothing else this experience will always have a major impact on my life in a positive way, I honestly will not take any day as a day that I am not blessed to be able to experience no matter if I am with my family on the outside or a day that I am away from my family in prison. In the big picture, every day is a day that someone else may not even get the opportunity to enjoy whether they are with their family or in prison.

I also have older children, yes I may miss some very important events in their young lives however I am also learning a lesson that I can teach to my children as well. I do not know if this is not God's plan to allow me the opportunity for my children to experience so that at some future point in their lives they will not make a decision that will affect them as well. I would much rather take this punishment and teach my kids from the experience than have one of my kids make a similiar decision that would affect them. I have a prayer " God please allow my children to bury me and please God do not allow me to have to bury one of my kids" I have also added " God allow me to do prison time rather than one of my kids" I can only trust that God is in control of my life and the future and no matter how much I want to change or control the things that are happening at this time, I cannot and neither can you.

There are positive things in your life and you need to concentrate on those things and use everything in your power to not allow this event to diminish the positives. Accept the fact that you will probably be gone for a small amount of time but you will be back and life will continue, you will be a grandfather, you will grow old with your wife and your children will love you as much the day you return as they do today if not more. Imagine a new father of a small child that is sent to Iraq on a 18 month tour. While gone, he will miss his childs first words, first step, and first birthday cake. We have not missed those days, maybe took them for granted, but I promise you that the soldier has the same feelings before leaving that you are experiencing now. He is sleeping in a hole fighting off bugs and people that want to blow him up and accepting the fact that he may never see his child again. I know this sounds somewhat crazy but I would rather spend some time in a prison, my family can still visit and I can still call and my time will be much easier than what the soldier will endure.

These are some things that have helped me and hopefully will help you going forward. Again, I feel your pain and the anxiety that comes with the not-knowing but just realize that your life is much better than some people that live in our world today and your life is not at an end, might feel like it right now but it will be over some day in the future and there are others that will not have the same opportunity to experience that day when we come home.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to manster77 For This Useful Post:
sassylatina (10-04-2009)
Old 10-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Thank you so much!! You kind words are definately an encouragement. My children and my wife are extremely important to me. I am only hoping that even though I have strayed along a different and difficult path, that my children will see the suffering and pain that I am going through and see that everything that sounds good to you is definately not good for you. I prepare them and myself everyday and me talking to them is making this a little easier for me. I do not lie to them or sugar coat the truth, I can't. I have to make them understand and see that if you make bad choices in this world, there is no getting around paying the consequences, the only question is "when".