Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Waiting Patiently

Question Transfered so fast from Gurney Unit to Cole Unit --- TX Prisons

husband was transferred to COLE unit in Boham i dont see a thread for this, anywho else from there?

he was transferred so fast, is this good?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnJRod06 View Post
husband was transferred to COLE unit in Boham i dont see a thread for this, anywho else from there?

OMG...there isn't a thread, is there? I don't know of anyone there but maybe you could ask in the "General Prison Talk" area?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lacey.Brianne For This Useful Post:
MnJRod06 (07-15-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Waiting Patiently

yea. dng it

Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
yea. dng it

Since there isn't a thread for that unit maybe you can approach someone here..a moderator, perhaps...and see if you can start one. I'm sure other people out there will come on board because they have loved ones there. It's worth a try.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM

There is a thread it is a state jail and its under COLE or BUSTER COLE I can't remember
Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Default Jay got transferred as well :-(

Quote:

Jay got transferred to Byrd Unit today...about 4 1/2 hours away. Not too bad but guess I better go check things out over there and see how it is. I'm still gonna come back and visit my Gurney friends, though.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Default 3rd transfer for Jay in 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey.Brianne View Post
Jay got transferred to Byrd Unit today...about 4 1/2 hours away. Not too bad but guess I better go check things out over there and see how it is. I'm still gonna come back and visit my Gurney friends, though.

Well, Jay just got transferred again. In the past six weeks he's been from Gurney to Byrd to Darrington. He must have been transferred yesterday. I've been hearing awful things about that unit and I have no idea how it was decided to place him there. Plus, I haven't had a letter in three weeks which freaks me out even more. They sure are processing these fellas quickly.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well, Jay just got transferred again. In the past six weeks he's been from Gurney to Byrd to Darrington. He must have been transferred yesterday. I've been hearing awful things about that unit and I have no idea how it was decided to place him there. Plus, I haven't had a letter in three weeks which freaks me out even more. They sure are processing these fellas quickly.
I hate having to guess about this stuff - my Hubs has been at Gurney all this time, and since he has a relatively short sentence, we are guessing that maybe they aren't planning to move him, but who the hell knows? I doubt even TDCJ knows really why they do things. I haven't heard anything about Darrington, but I sure hope he's okay. Whatever happened with his foot?

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwaywalker View Post
I hate having to guess about this stuff - my Hubs has been at Gurney all this time, and since he has a relatively short sentence, we are guessing that maybe they aren't planning to move him, but who the hell knows? I doubt even TDCJ knows really why they do things. I haven't heard anything about Darrington, but I sure hope he's okay. Whatever happened with his foot?

We don't know anything about his foot because he hasn't written. His foot problem happened at Gurney and he was never able to make commissary. I'm assuming he must have borrowed paper and pen from someone because his mom and I got two letters each while he was there. I got one letter a few days after the accident saying that he was supposed to go for an x-ray because medical wasn't sure if it was cracked or broken. They basically gave him crutches and said "Have a nice day!". Nobody has heard anything from him since and that's been almost a month ago.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Waiting Patiently

Wow thats sux- well the most someone can stay at a transfer unit is 2yrs- sux that ur man has being moved around that many times- mine just got to cole &hope he stays there for sure.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM
what doesn't destroy me..
Donation Award 

Quote:
That was quick; guess I should be prepared for another move soon, too. He did say that he heard he might only be at Byrd a couple of days but who really knows? Always freaks me out when I don't get a letter, at least once a week because that's his pattern. All this moving around is unsettling to me because he was in county for eight months! Now he's been moved twice in the last three weeks?? He used to call me every Sunday in county and now I've gotten two calls in the past month and doesn't look like I'm going to be getting any time soon, either?? Hope that you hear something soon.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Default Jay got moved AGAIN....Stevenson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan73mom View Post
That was quick; guess I should be prepared for another move soon, too. He did say that he heard he might only be at Byrd a couple of days but who really knows? Always freaks me out when I don't get a letter, at least once a week because that's his pattern. All this moving around is unsettling to me because he was in county for eight months! Now he's been moved twice in the last three weeks?? He used to call me every Sunday in county and now I've gotten two calls in the past month and doesn't look like I'm going to be getting any time soon, either?? Hope that you hear something soon.

Dangit...Jay got moved again. This time to Stevenson. They took him sometime in the night because when I sent my email at 10:00pm last night he was still listed in Darrington. That means that he only had an overnight stay there. I told his mom this morning to call the Chaplain at Darrington and request a wellness check to see how he is doing. When she called she was told that he's now in the medical unit at Stevenson. She called Stevenson and was transferred to the medical unit. She said the lady she spoke with was very pleasant. When his mom asked how he's doing medically, the nurse wouldn't tell her anything because she's not on Jay's authorization list. What I thought was really nice was that the nurse hand carried an authorization to Jay and had him sign it. She then called his mom back and told her he's doing okay and she relayed messages from Jay. She said he's getting the medical attention that he needs for his blood pressure and blood sugar but she didn't have any information about his foot. She said he's still on crutches. His mom had really nice things to say about the people she talked to at Stevenson so maybe he's at a better place. It's in some town called Cuero near San Antonio but it's out in the middle of nowhere. I have a hunch he's gonna stay there just because of the type of work the inmates do at that unit. It's more industrial as opposed to agricultural and that's right up Jay's alley....although he can't do much with a bum leg and the other problems. I need to do some research on that unit. Jay's mom wants to get him a hardship transfer but I'm trying to discourage that until I find out more information on Stevenson. If this is a relatively peaceful and drama-free facility then I'd rather him stay there than risk being moved (for our convenience) to someplace filled with BS. I don't think they get to go to commissary if they're in a medical place...does anyone know about that?

BRYAN73MOM: Being on Byrd sucks only because of the no visits/no phone call thing but if him being there speeds up him coming home then I say HURRAY!! Of course I can say this because I'm not the one sitting in a cell 22 hours a day. I hope he gets great news pretty soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think everyone here will celebrate with you!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Waiting Patiently

Good luck to u all- my husband has a rod on his leg- & he hurt it from gettin off the top bunk @ county- he hurts & they give him some bs pills- but in all he tried his best to stay good with it

Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Dangit...Jay got moved again. This time to Stevenson. They took him sometime in the night because when I sent my email at 10:00pm last night he was still listed in Darrington. That means that he only had an overnight stay there. I told his mom this morning to call the Chaplain at Darrington and request a wellness check to see how he is doing. When she called she was told that he's now in the medical unit at Stevenson. She called Stevenson and was transferred to the medical unit. She said the lady she spoke with was very pleasant. When his mom asked how he's doing medically, the nurse wouldn't tell her anything because she's not on Jay's authorization list. What I thought was really nice was that the nurse hand carried an authorization to Jay and had him sign it. She then called his mom back and told her he's doing okay and she relayed messages from Jay. She said he's getting the medical attention that he needs for his blood pressure and blood sugar but she didn't have any information about his foot. She said he's still on crutches. His mom had really nice things to say about the people she talked to at Stevenson so maybe he's at a better place. It's in some town called Cuero near San Antonio but it's out in the middle of nowhere. I have a hunch he's gonna stay there just because of the type of work the inmates do at that unit. It's more industrial as opposed to agricultural and that's right up Jay's alley....although he can't do much with a bum leg and the other problems. I need to do some research on that unit. Jay's mom wants to get him a hardship transfer but I'm trying to discourage that until I find out more information on Stevenson. If this is a relatively peaceful and drama-free facility then I'd rather him stay there than risk being moved (for our convenience) to someplace filled with BS. I don't think they get to go to commissary if they're in a medical place...does anyone know about that?

BRYAN73MOM: Being on Byrd sucks only because of the no visits/no phone call thing but if him being there speeds up him coming home then I say HURRAY!! Of course I can say this because I'm not the one sitting in a cell 22 hours a day. I hope he gets great news pretty soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think everyone here will celebrate with you!
Good grief. I think you are right - if where he is is a drama free or merely light drama place, def don't do the hardship transfer.

I'm not sure about commissary in the medical units - I would guess not but then again, that's a guess.

Wow. Too bad they don't offer frequent-chainbus miles towards early release.

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 AM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
Good luck to u all- my husband has a rod on his leg- & he hurt it from gettin off the top bunk @ county- he hurts & they give him some bs pills- but in all he tried his best to stay good with it

He fell off a top bunk and was hurt THAT bad? OMG! As if being in those gawd-forsaken places weren't bad enough. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I guess I shouldn't complain so much about Jay's injury.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
Good grief. I think you are right - if where he is is a drama free or merely light drama place, def don't do the hardship transfer.

I'm not sure about commissary in the medical units - I would guess not but then again, that's a guess.

Wow. Too bad they don't offer frequent-chainbus miles towards early release.

Jay's mom...as anyone can imagine...is worried sick with Jay being so far away. Some friend of her is now filling her head with ideas about TDCJ shippnig Jay out of state. She's convinced he's going to end up in Boston or something. I keep telling her TDC wouldn't do that but she still has fears. She wants him close to her and I don't blame her but I've been doing some research and not hearing very good things about the units near to Dallas. I don't really know much about Stevenson, either. I pray something will come of his appeal. I know it's a long-shot and his attorney says she may have found a loop-hole so we're going to hold onto that...for now.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Jay's mom...as anyone can imagine...is worried sick with Jay being so far away. Some friend of her is now filling her head with ideas about TDCJ shippnig Jay out of state. She's convinced he's going to end up in Boston or something. I keep telling her TDC wouldn't do that but she still has fears. She wants him close to her and I don't blame her but I've been doing some research and not hearing very good things about the units near to Dallas. I don't really know much about Stevenson, either. I pray something will come of his appeal. I know it's a long-shot and his attorney says she may have found a loop-hole so we're going to hold onto that...for now.
I'm hoping for a loophole. Loopholes should be fair game for the little guys too, and not just the big fat cats on Wall Street, or the criminals in politics or with money.

I had heard at one point that they would ship some prisoners out to Louisiana, but I just don't see how they can do that. I mean, unless they are federal prisoners? It seems like being under the "care" of TDCJ means that it's the state doing the controlling. I don't know, though. Again - applying logic to any of this is just sort of like trying to teach a pig to sing. It's fruitless, and it annoys the pig.

Poor Jay's mom. It's bad enough to be as confused and unclear on the whole process and the way TDCJ works, but also to know how to find the answers to questions - being in the dark with no real way to find out things, would be all the much worse.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Unhappy Information on the Joe f. Gurney unit

Quote:
My son just got to Guney unit in Tennessee Colony Tx and I can't find any thing about this place. I don't know if it is good or bad or what. He is 25 and I worry so about him. Can you tell me anything about this unit while I am waiting to hear from him and go an visit. Any thing would help.. Thank you in advance..

Donniesmom
Old 07-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donniesmom View Post
My son just got to Guney unit in Tennessee Colony Tx and I can't find any thing about this place. I don't know if it is good or bad or what. He is 25 and I worry so about him. Can you tell me anything about this unit while I am waiting to hear from him and go an visit. Any thing would help.. Thank you in advance..

Donniesmom
Hey Donnie's Mom - keep reading up on this forum, it's pretty active, and it has lots and lots of information about Gurney.

Gurney is a transfer unit, so he could be out of there in a flash, or not. Hubs got there at the end of April, and is still there. Hubs doesn't give me a lot of the gory details about the place, because he's trying to spare me the worry. But I know that it's hot (no a/c) and it's pretty nasty.

Keep money on his books so he can buy food - the food they serve there is nasty, as it is at all of TDCJ's "Hiltons" - Hubs has already gotten sick from it once.

If your son stays away from the gangs, goes to classes, and keeps his head down, he will be fine.

There are some visitation-specific threads in here which you should look at too, b/c they are full of info that will help you out when it comes time that you can visit (if you are able to visit, that is).

Good luck, and I will keep you and your son in my prayers.

Oh, and PS - Welcome to PTO! I'm glad you found us, but I'm sorry you need us.

Last edited by Hallwaywalker; 07-24-2010 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: B/c I forgot to say Welcome!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Waiting Patiently

TDCJ is different thing from federal. federal can send u out of the state- but if the case if just state they send in state- now they can send u far in the states from home- last time my husband was sent to el paso 7 we live in dallas, i only did that trip 1 time. good luck lacie- dont worry he'll b somewhere in state- mayb bonham- close 2 mckinny- not far i'm glad they sent my husband there.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 AM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
TDCJ is different thing from federal. federal can send u out of the state- but if the case if just state they send in state- now they can send u far in the states from home- last time my husband was sent to el paso 7 we live in dallas, i only did that trip 1 time. good luck lacie- dont worry he'll b somewhere in state- mayb bonham- close 2 mckinny- not far i'm glad they sent my husband there.

Well...I FINALLY got a letter from Jay yesterday!! It was about 8 pages. He started writing and didn't quit until he finally made commissary and could get stamps. "Word on the street" is that they're going to keep him at Stevenson to do his time. He's on a medical wing getting his foot and his blood pressure situations taken care of. Can anyone answer this question for me? You know those things they call "shower slides" that the men wear when they take a shower? Since Jay never made commissary the whole six weeks he's been at TDC until recently, he thought maybe they would issue him some because surely they didn't think he was going to put his feet on those nasty shower floors? Come to find out, either a guard or a warden at Byrd unit told Jay that the company who was contracted to sell those shower slides to TDC is no longer in business and they don't sell them through commissary anymore. Is that true? I told Jay's mom that it was kinda far-fetched to think that because I believe they're a standard (if not esssential) part of what an inmate needs. They issued Jay a pair of slip-on no-lace tennis shoes instead. Jay said he's lost a lot of weight so he bought a bunch of snacks at commissary to try and gain it back. He also bought a fan and said he slept so good that first night that he missed morning chow. His money from county still isn't on the books and it supposedly transferred with him on June 17th. Is it usual for it to take this long to get posted? Should his mom call county and get more information? The last time I called county the lady told me it transferred with him and pretty much hung up on me.

Jay said that Stevenson is very laid back and relatively drama-free. The average age there is 40-55 and the average sentence is 5-20 years. I think it's a medium security facility and it's predominantly first time offenders. Jay's mom wants to get a hardship transfer so that he can be closer but I fear that he'll go from someplace like Stevenson where he'll probably have very little trouble to someplace like Beto, Coffield or Micheal where I've heard awful things about. I keep telling her to leave him where he is. It sucks that he's so far away but he's safe and will have a lot easier time doing his time. I'm sure he won't be at Stevenson for the duration and it's quite possible he might end up at one of those other places later on. I just think she can't see past her own needs..which is understandable...to do what's best for Jay.

And here's the part I'm freaking out on. Jay wants me to fill out the paperwork for a common-law marriage so that we can have contact visits. He says things in his letters about being so grateful that I've come back into his life and now that I'm here he doesn't want to lose touch again. He says all he wants to do is give me a big hug and hold my hand and let me know how appreciative he is for everything I'm doing. His cell is located in a place where he can see outside and he says he gets to watch the sunrise and sunset and drink coffee every morning and says "you're both beautiful to me". Okay...everybody say..."Awwwwwww". Isn't common law marriage like a REAL marriage? He put in a comment and said "You can always divorce me when I get out if you want to". This completely took me by surprise.

Well, I don't want to ramble anymore and take up ya'lls time. I was just so glad to finally get a letter and now that he has access to commissary, they should come pretty regular.

HOW WAS EVERYONE'S VISITS? :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Waiting Patiently

wow thats sweet- about getting divorce not good- i mean up to u if u want this marriage becuz it will be legal- i sat on the idea for a long time- my husband & i talkd so much about it till we finally settled that we love each other & even we had some problems b4 we startin a fresh life as husband & wife- it's a new beginning- & we love it-

all u have 2 do if get it notarize & make sure u sign & date all the space u need to- dont b like me i didnt & have to wait till they send it back. so good luck

happy for u!!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Well...I FINALLY got a letter from Jay yesterday!! It was about 8 pages. He started writing and didn't quit until he finally made commissary and could get stamps. "Word on the street" is that they're going to keep him at Stevenson to do his time. He's on a medical wing getting his foot and his blood pressure situations taken care of. Can anyone answer this question for me? You know those things they call "shower slides" that the men wear when they take a shower? Since Jay never made commissary the whole six weeks he's been at TDC until recently, he thought maybe they would issue him some because surely they didn't think he was going to put his feet on those nasty shower floors? Come to find out, either a guard or a warden at Byrd unit told Jay that the company who was contracted to sell those shower slides to TDC is no longer in business and they don't sell them through commissary anymore. Is that true? I told Jay's mom that it was kinda far-fetched to think that because I believe they're a standard (if not esssential) part of what an inmate needs. They issued Jay a pair of slip-on no-lace tennis shoes instead. Jay said he's lost a lot of weight so he bought a bunch of snacks at commissary to try and gain it back. He also bought a fan and said he slept so good that first night that he missed morning chow. His money from county still isn't on the books and it supposedly transferred with him on June 17th. Is it usual for it to take this long to get posted? Should his mom call county and get more information? The last time I called county the lady told me it transferred with him and pretty much hung up on me.

Jay said that Stevenson is very laid back and relatively drama-free. The average age there is 40-55 and the average sentence is 5-20 years. I think it's a medium security facility and it's predominantly first time offenders. Jay's mom wants to get a hardship transfer so that he can be closer but I fear that he'll go from someplace like Stevenson where he'll probably have very little trouble to someplace like Beto, Coffield or Micheal where I've heard awful things about. I keep telling her to leave him where he is. It sucks that he's so far away but he's safe and will have a lot easier time doing his time. I'm sure he won't be at Stevenson for the duration and it's quite possible he might end up at one of those other places later on. I just think she can't see past her own needs..which is understandable...to do what's best for Jay.

And here's the part I'm freaking out on. Jay wants me to fill out the paperwork for a common-law marriage so that we can have contact visits. He says things in his letters about being so grateful that I've come back into his life and now that I'm here he doesn't want to lose touch again. He says all he wants to do is give me a big hug and hold my hand and let me know how appreciative he is for everything I'm doing. His cell is located in a place where he can see outside and he says he gets to watch the sunrise and sunset and drink coffee every morning and says "you're both beautiful to me". Okay...everybody say..."Awwwwwww". Isn't common law marriage like a REAL marriage? He put in a comment and said "You can always divorce me when I get out if you want to". This completely took me by surprise.

Well, I don't want to ramble anymore and take up ya'lls time. I was just so glad to finally get a letter and now that he has access to commissary, they should come pretty regular.

HOW WAS EVERYONE'S VISITS? :-)
Awwwww!!! That's so sweet! So how do you feel about it, though? One of the things I have learned through this journey with Hubs is how precious a marriage is, and how it creates a territory that no one else knows, or CAN know, because it's just yours and your spouse's. A "normal" marriage is effing hard on its own, much less a marriage that by its nature is also going to include (for a period of time, anyway) a third party: TDCJ. That being said, there's also the positive aspect of navigating this journey together, and as horrible as this has been, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything (not to say I'm glad that Hubs is gone - far from it - but I have learned so much about him, and me, and us, and it's knowledge that I couldn't have gotten any other way). I ordinarily wouldn't say that going into a marriage with the attitude that if it's not what you want you can always divorce is a good one, but at the same time, this isn't a normal situation. I think some of the rules don't apply when we are talking about prison relationships. As long as he's in there, he's never going to leave the seat up, or not put his clothes in the hamper, or bounce a check. You'll always have the excitement of seeing him, when you do see him, whereas in a "regular" marriage, there does reach a point where you wake up, look at him, and go, Oh, you're still here. That's nice. (The secret is, though, to recognize that and then shake yourself out of it - never get complacent in being grateful for the other person.)

Contact visits are awesome. Being able to hold Hubs' hands and hug him and kiss him is what gets me through the week. I'm not sure what I would do in your position - you knew Jay before he went inside, so you know him as the person, so I think that gives you a little more to base your decision on than if you met him via pen pal or something.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not how you anticipated a proposal would take place when you were a kid, but at the same time, it is what it is. Have you been married before?

As to the flips that they wear in the shower - Hubs got his with his first commissary trip, but since Jay never got that opportunity (or at least not as he was supposed to - that still blows me away). And he's supposed to wear the slip on tennis shoes into the shower???? That makes NO SENSE at all. WTF? Especially with his ankle issues, it seems like that would be a bad idea all the way around, unless of course he chooses to ignore washing his feet, which to me, in this heat, would be a bad idea. Can he tell anything from looking at the flips themselves as to who makes them? If he could give you a name, then you could find out if they are still in business, but that's not the point, is it? The point is that the man needs to be able to go take a shower without fearing what might slither out of the floor. I'm not sure what to suggest here. Does he get the opportunity to go to the commissary while he's in a medical unit? I don't know anything about medical units (fortunately).

Anyway - CONGRATS!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
Awwwww!!! That's so sweet! So how do you feel about it, though? One of the things I have learned through this journey with Hubs is how precious a marriage is, and how it creates a territory that no one else knows, or CAN know, because it's just yours and your spouse's. A "normal" marriage is effing hard on its own, much less a marriage that by its nature is also going to include (for a period of time, anyway) a third party: TDCJ. That being said, there's also the positive aspect of navigating this journey together, and as horrible as this has been, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything (not to say I'm glad that Hubs is gone - far from it - but I have learned so much about him, and me, and us, and it's knowledge that I couldn't have gotten any other way). I ordinarily wouldn't say that going into a marriage with the attitude that if it's not what you want you can always divorce is a good one, but at the same time, this isn't a normal situation. I think some of the rules don't apply when we are talking about prison relationships. As long as he's in there, he's never going to leave the seat up, or not put his clothes in the hamper, or bounce a check. You'll always have the excitement of seeing him, when you do see him, whereas in a "regular" marriage, there does reach a point where you wake up, look at him, and go, Oh, you're still here. That's nice. (The secret is, though, to recognize that and then shake yourself out of it - never get complacent in being grateful for the other person.)

Contact visits are awesome. Being able to hold Hubs' hands and hug him and kiss him is what gets me through the week. I'm not sure what I would do in your position - you knew Jay before he went inside, so you know him as the person, so I think that gives you a little more to base your decision on than if you met him via pen pal or something.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not how you anticipated a proposal would take place when you were a kid, but at the same time, it is what it is. Have you been married before?

As to the flips that they wear in the shower - Hubs got his with his first commissary trip, but since Jay never got that opportunity (or at least not as he was supposed to - that still blows me away). And he's supposed to wear the slip on tennis shoes into the shower???? That makes NO SENSE at all. WTF? Especially with his ankle issues, it seems like that would be a bad idea all the way around, unless of course he chooses to ignore washing his feet, which to me, in this heat, would be a bad idea. Can he tell anything from looking at the flips themselves as to who makes them? If he could give you a name, then you could find out if they are still in business, but that's not the point, is it? The point is that the man needs to be able to go take a shower without fearing what might slither out of the floor. I'm not sure what to suggest here. Does he get the opportunity to go to the commissary while he's in a medical unit? I don't know anything about medical units (fortunately).

Anyway - CONGRATS!

Gosh..I completely forgot about this post. How could I do that? I'm not sure how I feel about this common-law marriage thing. I'm wondering if Jay wants it because he's afraid I might find this too difficult to handle and bail on him. Maybe he thinks being married will make it more difficult. It's all really a mute point because I think I read somewhere that we have to prove we were living together for at least two years before a common law marriage can happen. But that's not the case with us. Prior to May of this year it's been over 20 years since I've seen him. I wish there was another way to get contact visits without going to that extreme but at least he'll be able to have them with his immediate family. Visits through glass suck but at least it's a visit. I plan on being here for the duration. I can't think of any reason I'd walk away. This might be a silly question but are conjugal visits allowed in TDC? I don't think I've ever spoken with anyone who's had one. I was married before and it only lasted for ONE WEEK...yep, one whole week. It took me that long to figure out it was the biggest mistake of my life and I had it annulled.

There's a thread about the shower slides in the general area and I was glad to find out that commissary will eventually have them. Until then, Jay wears his slip-on shoes everywhere. He says his foot is so swollen he can't get it into a boot. Stevenson is taking pretty good care of him on that so I am relieved.

He's concerned because his money from county still isn't on his books after six weeks. I hope it hits soon or county will be getting a call from me.

I sent a Jpay email yesterday and I must have been a real blabbermouth because it kept asking me for stamps. I think I used 5. It's all good, though.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 PM

HOLY CRAP. Five stamps????? Dude, you get the prize. Especially if you used the little bitty font. I have been known to spend a very, very long time on my letters, editing them so that I use up Every.Single.Possible.Inch of that paper.

No conjugal visits, unfortunately. OMG, if that was the case, hooooo boy would that be awesome!!!!! Sorry, I may need to take a moment to collect myself.

I don't know a thing about the affidavit for common law marriage - I've not heard anyone say anything about having to have lived together in the past, but then again, since Hubs and I were married already when he went inside, it's not something I've ever really focused on.

A week? You are smarter than me, then. My first marriage lasted about 10 years, and it took me that long to get smart enough to boot his butt out the door (and change the locks), even though I knew pretty fast that it was a huge mistake to marry him. And he was a deputy sheriff, working as a guard at a county jail! Yeah, he was a prince. Blech.

Well, it's not like you have to rush to make any decisions - and if you do go that route, you can always have a church wedding (or something similar) if you are so inclined when he gets out. Hubs and I are planning to renew our vows when all this is over with, hopefully (PLEASE GOD) on our 15th anniversary which is in December of this year.