Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM
OG Prison Wifey

Default Prison Staff Visiting Inmates???

Hi~
I have a question... not sure if anyone knows anything regarding this being that this is technically "taboo".... But are CDCR staff (i.e. nurses, c.o.'s) allowed to visit prison inmates ~ even if they're at different prisons? I mean, this cannot be ethical, right? What about them getting married? Isn't this type of behavior prohibited? Can anyone with knowledge on this subject plz shed some light?? Thank u in advance!!

Disclaimer: This is absolutely not in reference to me or anyone that I personally know. This pertains to a "hearsay" situation that recently assaulted my ears, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
gilsblondie (02-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmamasd View Post
Hi~
I have a question... not sure if anyone knows anything regarding this being that this is technically "taboo".... But are CDCR staff (i.e. nurses, c.o.'s) allowed to visit prison inmates ~ even if they're at different prisons? I mean, this cannot be ethical, right? What about them getting married? Isn't this type of behavior prohibited? Can anyone with knowledge on this subject plz shed some light?? Thank u in advance!!

Disclaimer: This is absolutely not in reference to me or anyone that I personally know. This pertains to a "hearsay" situation that recently assaulted my ears, lol.

Actually yes they can. I have friend who is a CO, his son and brother were both in CA prisons and he was allowed to visit them. He did however have to notify admin of the family relationship and they weren't ever allowed to be at the same prison he worked.

I'm not sure if it's allowed as in boyfriend/fiancé kind of situation, I'm thinking it would have had to have been an existing relationship when the person was hired and not one that resulted from meeting them at the prison.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 PM
OG Prison Wifey

Oh ok... the family situation does make sense, however I still cant wrap my mind around the idea of a CDCR nurse visiting/marrying an inmate... that jus sounds potentiallyproblematic 2 me... idk, lol! But thanks 4 replying... very much appreciated ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamor
Actually yes they can. I have friend who is a CO, his son and brother were both in CA prisons and he was allowed to visit them. He did however have to notify admin of the family relationship and they weren't ever allowed to be at the same prison he worked. I'm not sure if it's allowed as in boyfriend/fiancé kind of situation, I'm thinking it would have had to have been an existing relationship when the person was hired and not one that resulted from meeting them at the prison.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,845 Times in 11,079 Posts

Unrelated (to the inmate) nurses and COs are subject to all sorts of sanctions - loss of job, possible prosecution, no visitation for a year or two, sometimes no letters, no phone calls, etc. And the inmate goes to the hole, with loss of privileges.

The exact sanctions vary from state to state, but all such relationship are considered security risks.
lilmamasd (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 PM

Thanked 11,113 Times in 6,009 Posts

Cannot speak directly to California, but most agencies will allow the visitation as long as there was a pre-existing relationship before the felony conviction took place AND the employee or contract staff member reported the relationship in a timely manner. If it is someone met while they were incarcerated, then generally speaking, the employment is at risk...period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
lilmamasd (02-13-2014), nimuay (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 691 Posts

I will address this. I searched the DOM for clarification and there really wasn't any. In California if there is a preexisting relationship it must be reported. The parties will not be allowed to be in the same prison. If the employee is working in the same prison as the inmate the inmate will be placed in Adseg pending transfer, because the relationship is deemed to be a threat to safety and security. I believe visiting is allowed as long as it is disclosed and the employee is not at the same prison as the inmate.

In the case of staff inmate relationships that develop as a result of over familiarity if the staff leaves their position and they can pass the criteria for visiting they can visit as long as they are not at the prison where the over familiarity occurred. In cases of over familiarity if the relationship is discovered the staff person is placed on administrative leave pending investigation and the inmate is placed in Adseg. The inmate will be transferred because it is deemed that a breach of security has occurred. I have heard of cases where the employee is allowed to return to work at another institution. In my own case the relationship was more important then the job. I resigned and once he was transferred I was able to visit at the new location. Other states are not as liberal about this as California is. In some states the parties to overfamiliarity are never allowed to visit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krc1abc1 For This Useful Post:
lilmamasd (02-13-2014), sidewalker (02-15-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 PM
OG Prison Wifey

Great insight... Thank u so very much for explicating this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1abc1
I will address this. I searched the DOM for clarification and there really wasn't any. In California if there is a preexisting relationship it must be reported. The parties will not be allowed to be in the same prison. If the employee is working in the same prison as the inmate the inmate will be placed in Adseg pending transfer, because the relationship is deemed to be a threat to safety and security. I believe visiting is allowed as long as it is disclosed and the employee is not at the same prison as the inmate. In the case of staff inmate relationships that develop as a result of over familiarity if the staff leaves their position and they can pass the criteria for visiting they can visit as long as they are not at the prison where the over familiarity occurred. In cases of over familiarity if the relationship is discovered the staff person is placed on administrative leave pending investigation and the inmate is placed in Adseg. The inmate will be transferred because it is deemed that a breach of security has occurred. I have heard of cases where the employee is allowed to return to work at another institution. In my own case the relationship was more important then the job. I resigned and once he was transferred I was able to visit at the new location. Other states are not as liberal about this as California is. In some states the parties to overfamiliarity are never allowed to visit.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Unrelated (to the inmate) nurses and COs are subject to all sorts of sanctions - loss of job, possible prosecution, no visitation for a year or two, sometimes no letters, no phone calls, etc. And the inmate goes to the hole, with loss of privileges.

The exact sanctions vary from state to state, but all such relationship are considered security risks.
In California letters are allowed and visiting is allowed once the inmate is transferred. In my own case they actually approved me to visit where I worked but staff knew me in visiting sand it wasn't allowed. I had resigned my post. It is also viewed a little harsher I have heard when the staff is custody. I am a nurse. Once he was transferred and went to classification they told him I would be approved immediately and I was approved within 10 days. As I said in an earlier post California is much more liberal about this then other states.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
OG Prison Wifey

So what if the employee does not resign. This particular CDCR employee that Im speaking of, I just found out that "they" were actually married 2 an inmate (now divorced) & is visiting a different inmate that "they" were recently hooked up with. She HAS to be in violation of some rule, RIGHT??? Sorry to sound so pressed about this situation, but when I heard about this, it sort of rubbed me the wrong way being that I (me personally) was denied employment as a CDCR c.o. a few yrs ago, solely because I had visited an inmate a few times at 1 of the prisons... yes this was the actual excuse they told me. So I just needed some clarity on this lol. Thanks 4 all of your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1abc1
In California letters are allowed and visiting is allowed once the inmate is transferred. In my own case they actually approved me to visit where I worked but staff knew me in visiting sand it wasn't allowed. I had resigned my post. It is also viewed a little harsher I have heard when the staff is custody. I am a nurse. Once he was transferred and went to classification they told him I would be approved immediately and I was approved within 10 days. As I said in an earlier post California is much more liberal about this then other states.

Last edited by lilmamasd; 02-13-2014 at 09:47 PM..